Author Topic: Im telchu imi b’Kerry, I'll send Kerry to destroy you.  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
John Kerry was prophesied about to Moses on Mount Sinai. This week's Torah portion states, "im telchu imi b’Kerry”, I'll send you Kerry.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Im telchu imi b’Kerry, I'll send Kerry to destroy you.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 11:57:12 PM »
What's the simple meaning of that, and would you mind making a two minute dvar Torah to explain how this verse may refer to the current Kerry?
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 12:25:21 AM »
What's the simple meaning of that, and would you mind making a two minute dvar Torah to explain how this verse may refer to the current Kerry?

http://bible.ort.org/books/Torahd5.asp?action=displayid&id=3540

It means 'If you should deal with me in a casual manner.." or 'If you are indiffent to me'...

26:18   If you still do not listen to Me, I will increase the punishment for your sins sevenfold.
Ve'im-ad-eleh lo tishme'u li veyasafti leyasrah etchem sheva al-chatoteychem.
26:19   I will break your aggressive pride, making your skies like iron, and your land like brass.
Veshavarti et-ge'on uzchem venatati et-shmeychem kabarzel ve'et-artsechem kanechushah.
26:20   You will exhaust your strength in vain, since your land will not yield its crops, and the trees of the land will not produce fruit.
Vetam larik kochachem velo-titen artsechem et-yevulah ve'ets ha'arets lo yiten piryo.
26:21   If you are indifferent to Me and lose the desire to obey Me, I will again increase the punishment for your sins sevenfold.
Ve'im-telchu imi keri velo tovu lishmoa li veyasafti aleychem makah sheva kechat'oteychem.

I suggest that BY is saying that by dealing with the Kerry, we are treating Hashem in an indifferent way...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 12:28:52 AM »
http://www.shemayisrael.com/parsha/chrysler/archives/behar62.htm

Keri or be'Keri; Es or be'Es

"ve'Im Telchu imi keri . ve'holachti af Ani imochem be'keri" (26:21/ 24). There is a Mesorah (tradition) which reads 'the first and second time the word is "keri", and the third time, "be'keri". The fifth time it is "keri" and the sixth and seventh, "be'keri". "es" corresponds to "keri", "ve'es" to be'Keri". The final part of the Mesorah appears meaningless. It is what we call a Medrash P'li'ah (a seemingly undecipherable Medrash).

The G'ro however, refers to two Pesukim in Melachim (1 8:63/64), which describe the Korbanos that Shlomoh brought when he inaugurated the Chatzer of the newly-built Beis Hamikdash. There too, like here, the Pasuk uses the word "es" (sometimes with a 'Vav', sometimes without) seven times ("va'Yizbach Shlomos es zevah ha'Shelamim ... ki osoh shom es ho'Oloh ve'es ha'Minchah ... ").

What the Mesorah is therefore teaching us, is that the sequence here follows the same pattern as the sequence there. One might add that the connection is not haphazard, if we bear in mind that the Beis-Hamikdash and the Korbanos that were brought there are the very antithesis of the concept that we are independent of G-d (which is what going with G-d "be'keri" signifies). Serving G-d is the antidote to that sin.

Nor is the 'seven times' haphazard either, when we remember that seven is the number that signifies nature. And the power of nature is the essence of the Pasuk under discussion, to which sacrificing to G-d is the antidote, as we just explained.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 12:31:08 AM »
This may take more than two minutes to read, but it addresses what the Torah means by 'Keri' (Casualness/Indifference)...

http://www.torah.org/learning/rabbis-notebook/5764/behar.html

Indifference, Casualness,& By Chance Oh My!

Indifference is the death of any relationship. I have often said that so long as a couple cares enough to scream and holler there is who and what to work with. *** The real danger is when spouses no longer care enough to fight. On the one hand, the household may be less noisy; on the other hand, the relative quiet reflects distance and indifference. Such a home and relationship is a much colder and lonelier place.

*** A note of explanation. I am not suggesting that screaming and hollering is ever a preferred way of relating or communicating. Each of us should take issue with our loved ones and ourselves to insure that communication is always sensitive and respectful. Anything less than respectful and dignified speech borders on abusing those to whom and for whom we should be most caring and responsible.

In the second of this week's two Parshios ­ B'Chukosai, Hashem describes the climate of the Tochacha ­ admonitions as 'Keri' (26:21, 24, 27, 28, 40, 41). I would like to share three similar but subtly different translations of the word Keri. Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan translated Keri as 'indifference.' The ArtScroll Stone Edition translated Keri as 'casualness.' Rav S.R. Hirsch translated Keri as 'by-chance.' a. (26:21) If you are indifferent to Me' (Kaplan) b. (26:21) If you behave casually with Me' (ArtScroll) c. (26:21) And if you walk with Me by chance' (Hirsch)

Indifference suggests a lack of caring and concern. Casualness suggests a minimization of importance, a lessening of significance. Chance suggests the absence or denial of personal responsibility or initiative.

Every relationship, including the relationship of the nation with G-d, will have its ups and downs. However there is a significant difference between our relationship with G-d and our relationships with each other. Our relationships with each other involve two potentially fallible parties. Our relationship with G-d involves only one such party.

With G-d we can be certain that He will do what He says, when He says it, regardless of time or circumstance. G-d promised the Forefathers that He would redeem their children and give them the land of Israel. 430 years later G-d did exactly what He said He would do. By then the forefathers were all gone and buried, but G-d kept his promise to them. Unfortunately, the same is not true when it comes to fulfilling our promises to G-d. G-d must contend with partners that are far less reliable than He. He must accept our inconsistencies and vacillations, our personal challenges and limits.

With each other, we are on much more equal footing. Both sides are challenged to the extent of their determination and freewill. Both sides of the relationship should accept the possibility of failure, the potential for betrayal, and the need for constant reevaluation of expectations. Not so with G-d. G-d knows from the start exactly what He can expect from us and what He will get from us. The all Knowing G-d, Creator of the Universe, is not subject to surprise or disappointment.

Therefore, the presentation of 'Keri' in the Tochacha rightfully starts with the human side of the relationship rather than the Divine side of the relationship. Allow me to explain.

The Torah describes a cause and effect relationship. If we listen to G-d positive things will happen to us, if we do not listen to G-d, negative things will happen to us.

(26:3-12) If you will walk in My statutes' I will give rain, the trees and fields will yield their fruits, you will eat bread till satisfaction, you will have security, peace and no sword will pass through your land, and My presence will dwell among you''

(26:14-17) 'But if you will not listen to Me'' the following will happen: Panic, fever, suffering, and being subject to our enemies'

(26:18-20) 'If you still do not listen to Me' I will break your pride, sap your strength, and turn the land against you''

The purpose of any consequence is to motivate or deter - reward motivates and punishment deters. However, regarding our relationship with G-d the causal correlation between action and consequence is somewhat different. On the one hand, humans reward and punish because their hearts and minds dictate that certain actions demand a response. On the other hand, G-d rewards and punishes by creating a system where every action puts into motion its own consequences. G-d's response is built into the system of nature in contrast to the human response that is imposed on the system of nature. In the end, to the extent that humankind can be responsible for its own destiny is determined by humankind's willful actions.

What happens if after the consequences we still do not listen to G-d' The Torah evaluates the stubbornness of human denial as 'Keri.' Such behavior is classified as acting toward G-d indifferently, casually, or by chance, and such behavior demands a higher level of response.

Before suffering the next level of consequences, we must first 'walk with Keri.' We must show indifference to the consequences of our own actions. We must causally dismiss the negative (or positive) consequences as unrelated to our actions. We must conclude that the consequences we suffer are the fortunes of chance and the price of our humanness. We must separate our actions from their consequences. We must deny the systemic nature of G-d's controlled response.

Once we have denied the causal correlation between action and consequence G-d's response is pure poetry. (26:23-26) 'If despite these' you behave ' Keri' with Me, then I too will behave toward you with 'Keri.' I will bring upon you a sword, a pestilence, and you will be delivered into the hands of the enemy.'

At first G-d hoped that we would learn our lesson and refocus on His relationship with us. Toward that end G-d did not act with 'Keri.' G-d did not act indifferently, causally, or by chance. Instead, the causal relationship between our actions and consequences set in motion a response that revealed G-d's direct involvement. G-d wanted us to turn toward Him and ask for forgiveness, beg for intervention, and beseech the cessation of suffering. G-d hoped we would recognize that our actions caused the suffering and therefore, through our actions we could change the consequences. However, if we do not accept responsibility for the consequences of our actions we are left blaming G-d and accusing Him of being unfair or arbitrary.

The concept of 'poetic justice' is the dream of every judge and the reality of G-d. Every judge would like to administer consequences that perfectly fit the crime. In my years at YULA fair and just consequences were among the greatest administrative challenges. Monetary fines, detentions, denial of rights, parental notifications, lowering of grades, notations on permanent records, suspensions, and expulsions are the arsenal of consequences typically available. However, more often than not, the possible punishments did not fit the crimes and did not teach responsibility. They did inflict suffering of sorts and they did act on occasion as future deterrents; however, they did not accomplish the desired engendering of personal awareness, enlightenment, and responsibility.

G-d, the Truthful Judge, always responds with poetic justice. When Yisro joined the Jews in the desert he proclaimed G-d as the only G-d because he had witnessed G-d's poetic justice. (Shem. 18:11) Yisro rejoiced' through their (Egypt) very plots, He (G-d) rose above them (Egypt).' Rashi ­ 'The Egyptians attempted to destroy the Jews with water and instead they were destroyed with water.'

The only proper response to our indifference, casualness, and assumption of by-chance toward G-d was for G-d to retreat behind the veil of nature and appear to be indifferent, casual, and by chance. It is classic 'Hester Panim ­ hiding of G-d's countenance.'

Hester Panim is a lessening of our ability to recognize G-d's direct intervention in personal, national, and international events. Many suggest that Hester Panim is a lessening of G-d's caring or control; however, that is impossible! G-d Who controls everything to a degree that is incomprehensible for us to quantify is never not in absolute control. Hester Panim is a change in us, not in G-d!

The hoped for outcome of Hester Panim ­ G-d acting with 'Keri,' is to reverse our perception of G-d's indifference, casualness, and by chance, and once again see G-d behind the veil of nature. The hoped for outcome is to break through nature's veil of secrecy and recognize G-d's ever-present direct intervention in all human and universal events. If we will be able to recognize G-d when He is seemingly most indifferent, casual and acting as if by chance, we will then have gained a far greater perception and understanding of G-d's absolute mastery than ever before.

(26:44) "And yet for all that, even while in the land of their enemies I have not despised them, rejected them, or broken My covenant with them'"

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 12:54:57 AM »
Indifference to Hashem makes sense especially in context, but the reason they're dealing with him is related to, but doesn't reflect Yiddishkeit, it's political, so maybe the pasuk then implies that not caring for the land is not caring for Hashem. Of course, I find more meaning in indifference to Yidishkeit, because if they were righteous, Kerry couldn't do a thing.  "What happens if after the consequences we still do not listen to G-d? The Torah evaluates the stubbornness of human denial as “Keri.” Such behavior is classified as acting toward G-d indifferently, casually, or by chance, and such behavior demands a higher level of response.

Before suffering the next level of consequences, we must first “walk with Keri.” We must show indifference to the consequences of our own actions. We must causally dismiss the negative (or positive) consequences as unrelated to our actions."

So this would then imply that Kerry is a punishment sent by G-d, firstly because of lack of Yiddishkeit, and secondly, we 1. dismiss the Arabs as not being a direct punishment that we brought on ourselves, say 2. "there's nothing wrong with them", and 3. don't care that we're giving them the strength to make us suffer.

Then, the treatment for this is 1. Stop giving Arabs power, 2. Stop being liberals that trust them or G-d forbid marry them, 3. Return to Hashem and follow his commandments for the state of Israel.

This is just for the Jews in Israel, and we know Hashem judges us as 1. For American liberal Jews, the "keri" is obviously towards Yiddishkeit, but also towards the state of Israel, and their fellow religious Jews in America. For the anti-Israel groups, they usually have the Yiddishkeit down, but many pretend that they're special and the only really faithful Jews, so there is Keri towards Yiddishkeit, because they don't respect someone as much who keeps the whole Torah, just not their minhagim, they don't generally respect the Arabs, though some do, but the larger groups say that Arabs are killing Jews because Jews followed Torah and made Israel, which shows a lack of Yiddishkeit and Am Yisrael, and a refusal to admit that we need to fight our enemies and support Jews who do. Who else's fault is it and why? Answer so we can write it out and solve all our problems. If we are the only real Kahanist group around, then the world needs us, and we need to make "Kahane chai" worth more than liberals that say "never again", so it's up to us to figure this out.

So far, you guys have the government in Israel master plan covered, now we need one for liberal American Jews and the anti-Israel groups. My solutions so far have been: focus on making baalei teshuva from reform and fight the movement, and pay more language experts to make a Hebrew even Satmar will be happy with. This is giving me more insight, and if I know everyone's role in brining the Kerry curse on us, then maybe that will show us how to save us as a whole. No one brought more Jews to Hashem than Haman, so lets get better instead of bitter with this Haman like our fathers did in Persia.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 01:02:46 AM »
Very good analysis LKZ... I agree with your opinion here.

This is what the 'Keri' is, the lack of Jews acknowledging Hashem is the ONE and ONLY master of all and Keri is attempting to get us to go against the will of Hashem. He acts indifferently toward the Jewish people, acting as he was programmed to do by Hashem. Just as Pharoah had no free will in oppressing the Jews, so too America may be being used by Hashem as a wake-up call to Jews around the world.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 02:25:11 AM »
Very good analysis LKZ... I agree with your opinion here.

This is what the 'Keri' is, the lack of Jews acknowledging Hashem is the ONE and ONLY master of all and Keri is attempting to get us to go against the will of Hashem. He acts indifferently toward the Jewish people, acting as he was programmed to do by Hashem. Just as Pharoah had no free will in oppressing the Jews, so too America may be being used by Hashem as a wake-up call to Jews around the world.
B"H I had the merit to see something.

What you say is true, but you still find many chiloni who say they believe in G-d and that he created everything, but they don't want to do anything because it's not convenient. That's where the keri is, and brings the accusation against the establishment Rabbis too. They believe G-d gave land to Israel, but think they can't keep yeshivot running unless they side with those who want to make chilul Hashem in giving it to terrorists.

It could also be keri in making aliyah, and what a more filling place for Hashem to promote aliyah than in America. You already see Hashem doing that around the world, and maybe it's like the near-sacrifice of Jacob; we don't want our birthright, so Hashem will send the goyim we want to live with to take it away from us. There's never one answer, so it's likely that several options are both right.

We should make a dvar Torah on this, I just wish there was a Rabbi here so we could attribute it to him after, or find a more kosher way to make it matter.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 02:50:41 AM »
B"H I had the merit to see something.

What you say is true, but you still find many chiloni who say they believe in G-d and that he created everything, but they don't want to do anything because it's not convenient. That's where the keri is, and brings the accusation against the establishment Rabbis too. They believe G-d gave land to Israel, but think they can't keep yeshivot running unless they side with those who want to make chilul Hashem in giving it to terrorists.

It could also be keri in making aliyah, and what a more filling place for Hashem to promote aliyah than in America. You already see Hashem doing that around the world, and maybe it's like the near-sacrifice of Jacob; we don't want our birthright, so Hashem will send the goyim we want to live with to take it away from us. There's never one answer, so it's likely that several options are both right.

We should make a dvar Torah on this, I just wish there was a Rabbi here so we could attribute it to him after, or find a more kosher way to make it matter.

Good idea LKZ...

One point of correction though... It was Yitzak Ben Avraham who was nearly sacrificed at the Akeidah... Yacov struggled with his brother Essau for the birth-right...

And all our suffering is due to us dealing with Hashem in a manner not befitting... Our Torah portion, from which this quote comes from, also brings us the 49 curses (or rebuke) which our people have suffered and continue to suffer with.

Indeed when we do harken to Hashems voice without concern for what others think then we are doing the greatest kiddush Hashem (sanctifying our G-ds name). The Kahanists believe that the time has come for walking with Hashem, putting down our notions of security in galut, and make the difficult jump into the next era.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 11:39:21 AM »
I meant that if the Jews don't listen to G-d, he will send curses upon Israel. One of the curses is John Ba'al Kerry. I asked Chaim to give a Dvar Torah about this on Ask JTF.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 01:16:27 PM »
I meant that if the Jews don't listen to G-d, he will send curses upon Israel. One of the curses is John Ba'al Kerry. I asked Chaim to give a Dvar Torah about this on Ask JTF.

I was trying to define not listening to Hashem, but now define "curses upon Israel". What is the curse of Kerry really?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 01:24:08 PM »
Simply because Israel is a secular state and even has some religious amongst government who seem to fear the gentiles nations, they show indifference to Gd.  They always have shown an indifference to Gd.  And look at the tragedy in Israel today.  Illegal aliens in Tel-Aviv and more pushes for Israel to commit suicide.  Unfortunately this trend is far worse than when Kahane was predicting it to happen.  And this indifference to Hashem, may end up in a catastrophic punishment from Gd, unless we can turn things around.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 01:26:54 PM »
Simply because Israel is a secular state and even has some religious amongst government who seem to fear the gentiles nations, they show indifference to Gd.  They always have shown an indifference to Gd.  And look at the tragedy in Israel today.  Illegal aliens in Tel-Aviv and more pushes for Israel to commit suicide.  Unfortunately this trend is far worse than when Kahane was predicting it to happen.  And this indifference to Hashem, may end up in a catastrophic punishment from Gd, unless we can turn things around.

It's true, that can be summed up as "we care more about what the Arabs think than what Hashem thinks".

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 07:15:28 PM »
Kerry is mentioned in connection with the Tochacha (Admonition). It contains many curses that Israel gets for not following the mitzvot, specifically for not keeping Shemittah. This is viewed as a prophecy of the Destruction of the First Temple. The other Tochacha in Deuteronomy is a prophecy of the Destruction of the Second Temple. The Land will spit us out for being evil. If the Jews hand over land to the Arabs, we will be punished. John Ba'al Kerry's treatement of Israel is one of the punishments for the Jews acting evil. I first heard about Kerry in connection with the parasha 10 years ago on Arutz 7 when he ran for President against George W. Bush, in 2004.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 07:54:28 PM »
Kerry is mentioned in connection with the Tochacha (Admonition). It contains many curses that Israel gets for not following the mitzvot, specifically for not keeping Shemittah. This is viewed as a prophecy of the Destruction of the First Temple. The other Tochacha in Deuteronomy is a prophecy of the Destruction of the Second Temple. The Land will spit us out for being evil. If the Jews hand over land to the Arabs, we will be punished. John Ba'al Kerry's treatement of Israel is one of the punishments for the Jews acting evil. I first heard about Kerry in connection with the parasha 10 years ago on Arutz 7 when he ran for President against George W. Bush, in 2004.

What is Shemittah?

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 08:05:10 PM »
What is Shemittah?
The Sabbatical year. That year the land must lay in rest. If Israel don't let it rest, Hashem will...
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 08:20:07 PM »
What is Shemittah?

You obviously did not watch last weeks Torah videos I posted... In Behar we were given the commands to keep the Shmitta year (every seven years the land must stay fallow) and the Jubilee year every 50 years (seven cycles of shmitta)...

Go and review the portion of Behar to learn about this.

http://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,75862.0.html

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 08:22:27 PM »

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 10:53:29 PM »
You obviously did not watch last weeks Torah videos I posted... In Behar we were given the commands to keep the Shmitta year (every seven years the land must stay fallow) and the Jubilee year every 50 years (seven cycles of shmitta)...

Go and review the portion of Behar to learn about this.

http://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,75862.0.html

I knew I heard that somewhere. Yeah I heard Rabbi Mizrachi say that the Jews in Gush Katif were not keeping this...

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 10:33:34 AM »
Gaza is exempt from the agricultural laws of the Land of Israel. Ezra and Nechemiah didn't re-sanctify that part of the Land of Israel so Shmeittah doesn't apply there. Also, Southern Israel (South of Be'er Sheva to Eilat.) is exempt as well. That is part of the Greater Land of Israel rather than the Land of Israel proper. That area is Halachically the same as the Sinai Peninsula and the Jews travelled there in the 40 years in the Desert.