Author Topic: Learning  (Read 4423 times)

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Learning
« on: August 08, 2007, 12:45:37 PM »
The difference between learning fast and learning slowly is not that the same mental processes happen, only faster or slower as the case may be. Either you are learning fast enough for mental processes to happen, or they do not happen at all.

If anyone here wants to learn Hebrew quickly-or any language at all-, then it would probably be better if you started off being introduced to fairly advanced readings and vocabulary, working your way through everything. This way you'd cover the easy stuff, like numbers and letters along with the harder work, combined.

I don't even know what the purpose of this post is, but oh well. ;D

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Learning
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 12:49:18 PM »
People learn at different paces.  One person can pick up one languge faster than others.  I know that I had a tough time picking up hebrew.  I still don't read hebrew that well. 

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 01:01:42 PM »
People learn at different paces.  One person can pick up one languge faster than others.  I know that I had a tough time picking up hebrew.  I still don't read hebrew that well. 

It also depends on who is teaching you and at what pace they move at as well.
My french teacher started us off on items of clothing and the weather before we even knew how to pronounce any of the letters in french. It worked well.

As for Arabic, i've been learning it for about 9 years and I haven't furthered much.

The english connection with french and many other related languages help.

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 01:11:58 PM »
I can pick up languages pretty fast, I can converse in Italian, Swedish, Hebrew and some Greek.. but as far as math is concerned, algebra was the name of a race horse on a "Little Rascals" episode.
So I don't think it is necessarily what an individual's learning speed is. Rather, depends on the subject that an individual has more of an aptitude at learning. And then there is the exception of some just being born smart and disciplined properly.

Did that make any sense?

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 04:14:44 AM »
I can pick up languages pretty fast, I can converse in Italian, Swedish, Hebrew and some Greek.. but as far as math is concerned, algebra was the name of a race horse on a "Little Rascals" episode.
So I don't think it is necessarily what an individual's learning speed is. Rather, depends on the subject that an individual has more of an aptitude at learning. And then there is the exception of some just being born smart and disciplined properly.

Did that make any sense?

Yeah, pretty much :D
Is swedish hard?

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 04:37:16 AM »
Sarah, I am happy you have not advanced your Arabic much. It is a worthless language spoken by seventh century throwbacks. It is used in the murder of so many innocent people.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 04:51:10 AM »
Sarah, I am happy you have not advanced your Arabic much. It is a worthless language spoken by seventh century throwbacks. It is used in the murder of so many innocent people.

:laugh:Lol, putting it that way i guess it could be a good thing!

But understanding an enemy could come in handy some of the time and think of comebacks pretty quickly when they insult you!

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 09:44:10 AM »

Did that make any sense?

Yeah, pretty much :D
Is swedish hard?

Swedish is probably the easiest language to learn how to read and write for English speakers.. but to dictate and speak it is a whole other ball game.
It's easier to read and write than German.. but German was easier for me to speak and dictate. But I just continued with the Swedish because I had a Swedish girlfriend, and I was able to improve it. I don't know any Germans, so it would be difficult to advance.

kellymaureen

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 12:21:30 PM »

Conversational yes, but its valuable to have people on "our side" who can understand and speak it fluently.  Our insane govt actually employs MUSLIMS as translators....INSANITY!!

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 12:34:14 PM »

Conversational yes, but its valuable to have people on "our side" who can understand and speak it fluently.  Our insane govt actually employs MUSLIMS as translators....INSANITY!!

I totally agree with you on that. There are Jews who speak Farsi and Arabic fluently but the government won't hire them as not to offend the towelheads.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 12:42:20 PM »
Actually knowing Arabic may help you in learning Hebrew. Many of the letters in the respective alphabets are identical.

In fact Maimonides says that Arabic is Hebrew gone terribly wrong.

I think of that sometimes when I see Muslims with skullcaps and beards. They look like Jews gone terribly wrong.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 12:49:05 PM »
Actually knowing Arabic may help you in learning Hebrew. Many of the letters in the respective alphabets are identical.

In fact Maimonides says that Arabic is Hebrew gone terribly wrong.

I think of that sometimes when I see Muslims with skullcaps and beards. They look like Jews gone terribly wrong.

Yes I think it is too, however so many Arabs boast about Arabic being an entirely pure language. The pronounciation isn't too far off but Hebrew has a strong tone to it. Even looking at the numbers:
0 - Efetz
1 - Echad ------Wahid
2 - Shtyim-------Ithnan
3 - Shalosh------Thalatha
4 - Arbah--------Arba'h
5 - Chamaish------Khamsa
6 - Shaysh--------Sitah
7 - Sheva---------Sab'a
8 - Shmonah--------Thamania
9 - Taisha-----------Tisa'a
10 -  Eser----------Ashra'

There is some relation. However Hebrew came first and arabic would need to branch off it probably, i do not know the history of the language itself, but Yacov Menashe told me they were the languages of Aden  or something of the sort- I think I spelt it wrong. ;D

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 12:53:08 PM »
Quote from: kellymaureen link=topic=7622.msg67052#msg67052 date=

Yes, our government does many insane things.  Look at the insane individual in charge, though.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/ramadan/islam.html
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 12:58:31 PM »
Quote from: kellymaureen link=topic=7622.msg67052#msg67052 date=

Yes, our government does many insane things.  Look at the insane individual in charge, though.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/ramadan/islam.html

Theres Bush sucking up while the Arabs burn his flag and call for his death.

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 01:03:58 PM »
Actually the Arabic numbers are much closer to Aramaic than Hebrew. Watch as I put the Aramaic next to the Arabic

1 - Had ------Wahid
2 - Tinyana-------Ithnan
3 - Talatha------Thalatha
4 - Arbah--------Arba'h
5 - Hamsha------Khamsa
6 - Shitha--------Sitah
7 - Sheva---------Sab'a
8 - Tamania--------Thamania
9 - Tisha-----------Tisa'a
10 -  Asar----------Ashra'

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 01:07:09 PM »
It is a lot lot closer....which nations spoke Aramaic?

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 01:15:09 PM »
Aramaic was the lingua franca of the entire middle east. It was spoken from Egypt all the way to Persia. Even in Afghanistan, ancient tablets were found in Aramaic.

Even most Jews spoke Aramaic from the time of the destruction of the first Temple until the Rise of Islam. Some Jews even speak it today. They call it Lishan Didan. Which means our tongue. Most Jews who have been to yeshivah know it quite well even if they cannot speak it in conversation. Like me for example.

Assyrian Christians in Iraq still speak it as well.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 01:16:56 PM »
Wow, i never even knew what it was before you mentioned it. :D

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 01:19:43 PM »
It's also the only other language that appears in the Tanakh other than Hebrew.

Also the Talmud and Zohar and the Targumim are written in Aramaic.

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 01:36:21 PM »
The Syriac (Assyrian) church still speaks Aramaic in their services. There is a Syriac church in New Jersey, I want to go there to study Aramaic. There must be a Syriac church somewhere in Britain that you can study in Sarah..

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 01:46:51 PM »
The Syriac (Assyrian) church still speaks Aramaic in their services. There is a Syriac church in New Jersey, I want to go there to study Aramaic. There must be a Syriac church somewhere in Britain that you can study in Sarah..

Actually just for your information, the Aramaic spoken by Assyrian Christians(Syriac) and the two dialects of Aramaic that I assume you would be most interested in ie Aramaic in the books of Daniel and Ezra-Nehemia and the Aramaic spoke in first century Judea, are actually extremely different dialects. I have gone on Assyrian website and although I can make out some words, it's very different from the Aramaic spoken in Biblical times.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 03:52:22 PM »

They're very orthodox Christians aren't they.....

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 04:43:52 PM »

They're very orthodox Christians aren't they.....

Yes, very. But don't confuse them with the Eastern Orthodox sects. The Syriac church is actually the first church in the wold if I'm not mistaken.

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 04:58:44 PM »
Wouldn't the first church in the world be the Jerusalem Church run by Peter?

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2007, 05:06:56 PM »
Wouldn't the first church in the world be the Jerusalem Church run by Peter?

Yes, I think that is considered the first Syriac Church..