Author Topic: Jewish Music To Inspire the Soul  (Read 3737 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Jewish Music To Inspire the Soul
« on: June 25, 2014, 02:27:12 AM »
Shalom,

Here are some short videos of music with lines from Jewish scripture which I hope will move the hearts of those watching.

Translator's note:
The words are taken from Isaiah Chapter 52, line 7.

The entire verse is:

Ma navu al heharim raglei mevaser,
mashmia shalom, mashmia tov, mashmia yeshua,
omer letziyon malach Elohayich.

How pleasant on the mountains are the feet of the messenger of good tidings,
proclaiming peace, proclaiming good, proclaiming salvation;
saying to Zion, your God reigns.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Jewish Music To Inspire the Soul
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 02:31:44 AM »

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 02:32:59 AM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 02:41:44 AM »
Another good Eitz Chaim, this time the melody we sing in our congregation.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 02:46:55 AM »
Israel365 has tons of these videos, I am only picking ones which I know (or think I know).

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 02:53:09 AM »
Some of you may notice I have posted this video before, it is a montage I created and uploaded to my youtube channel. It is 'Aleinu' as performed by the artist Saul Kaye (a fellow Bay area citizen).

Turn on 'Closed Captioning' to see the translation.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 03:05:13 AM »
Adon Olam...

Adon olam Asher Molach Beterem Kol Yitzur Nivra
Liate Nasa Becheftzo KolAzaiMelech Shemo Nikra
viacharei Kichlot HakolLevado Yimloch Nora
Vehu Haya Vehu Hove Vehu Yyiheeyeh Beteefarah
Vehu Echad Veayn Shayni Lehamshilo Lehachbira
Beli Rayshit Beli Tachlit Velo Ha’oz Vehamisra
Vehu Ali Vechai Go’ali Vetzur Chevli Be’ais Tzara
Vehu Neesi umanos Li Menas Kosi Beyom Ekra
Beyado Afkid Ruchi Beais Eeshan Veoeera
Ve’eem Ruchi Geviyati Adon-nay Li Velo Eera

Lord of the universe, who reigned before everything as created, at the time when by His will all things were made, then was His name proclaimed King, and after all things shall cease to be, the Awesome One Will reign alone. He was, he is and He shall be in glory. He is One and there is no other to compare to Him, to consort with Him. Without beginning without end, power and dominion belong to Him. He is My G-d and my ever-living redeemer..

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 03:14:37 AM »
A Jew is obligated by a halacha to wake up in the morning with a regime which causes him to be aware of Hashems presence, to thank him for returning our soul. The song 'Modeh Ani' is composed to the words we say in this prayer.

מוֹדֶה אֲנִי לְפָנֶיךָ מֶלֶךְ חַי וְקַיָּם, שֶׁהֶחֱזַרְתָּ בִּי נִשְׁמָתִי בְּחֶמְלָה. רַבָּה אֱמוּנָתֶךָ.

Modeh anee lefanecha melech chai vekayam, she-he-chezarta bee nishmatee b’chemla, raba emunatecha. (Click here for audio of a Modeh Ani song.)

I offer thanks to You, living and eternal King, for You have mercifully restored my soul within me; Your faithfulness is great.

I happen to wake up with my alarm programmed to play Shtars 'Modeh Ani' which I include below.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/623937/jewish/Modeh-Ani.htm

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 03:31:16 AM »
Boruch Nafshi... Say this Psalm to remember the kiddnapped boys, may Hashem protect them from further harm...

Tehillim 104

1. My soul, bless the Lord. My God, You are very great, You are attired with majesty and beauty.       א. בָּרְכִי נַפְשִׁי אֶת יְהֹוָה יְהֹוָה אֱלֹהַי גָּדַלְתָּ מְּאֹד הוֹד וְהָדָר לָבָשְׁתָּ:
2. [You] enwrap Yourself with light like a garment; [You] extend the heavens like a curtain.       ב. עֹטֶה אוֹר כַּשַּׂלְמָה נוֹטֶה שָׁמַיִם כַּיְרִיעָה:
3. Who roofs His upper chambers with water; Who makes clouds His chariot, which goes on the wings of the wind.       ג. הַמְקָרֶה בַמַּיִם עֲלִיּוֹתָיו הַשָּׂם עָבִים רְכוּבוֹ הַמְהַלֵּךְ עַל כַּנְפֵי רוּחַ:
4. He makes winds His messengers, burning fire His ministers.       ד. עֹשֶׂה מַלְאָכָיו רוּחוֹת מְשָׁרֲתָיו אֵשׁ לֹהֵט:
5. He founded the earth on its foundations that it not falter to eternity.       ה. יָסַד אֶרֶץ עַל מְכוֹנֶיהָ בַּל תִּמּוֹט עוֹלָם וָעֶד:
6. You covered the deep as [with] a garment; the waters stand on the mountains.       ו. תְּהוֹם כַּלְּבוּשׁ כִּסִּיתוֹ עַל הָרִים יַעַמְדוּ מָיִם:
7. From Your rebuke they fled; from the sound of Your thunder they hastened away.       ז. מִן גַּעֲרָתְךָ יְנוּסוּן מִן קוֹל רַעַמְךָ יֵחָפֵזוּן:
8. They ascended mountains, they descended into valleys to this place, which You had founded for them.       ח. יַעֲלוּ הָרִים יֵרְדוּ בְקָעוֹת אֶל מְקוֹם זֶה | יָסַדְתָּ לָהֶם:
9. You set a boundary that they should not cross, that they should not return to cover the earth.       ט. גְּבוּל שַׂמְתָּ בַּל יַעֲבֹרוּן בַּל יְשֻׁבוּן לְכַסּוֹת הָאָרֶץ:
10. He sends the springs into the streams; they go between the mountains.       י. הַמְשַׁלֵּחַ מַעְיָנִים בַּנְּחָלִים בֵּין הָרִים יְהַלֵּכוּן:
11. They water every beast of the field; the wild donkeys quench their thirst.       יא. יַשְׁקוּ כָּל חַיְתוֹ שָׂדָי יִשְׁבְּרוּ פְרָאִים צְמָאָם:
12. Beside them the fowl of the heavens dwell; from between the branches they let out their voices.       יב. עֲלֵיהֶם עוֹף הַשָּׁמַיִם יִשְׁכּוֹן מִבֵּין עֳפָאיִם יִתְּנוּ קוֹל:
13. He waters the mountains from His upper chambers; from the fruit of Your works the earth is sated.       יג. מַשְׁקֶה הָרִים מֵעֲלִיּוֹתָיו מִפְּרִי מַעֲשֶׂיךָ תִּשְׂבַּע הָאָרֶץ:
14. He causes grass to sprout for the animals and vegetation for the work of man, to bring forth bread from the earth.       יד. מַצְמִיחַ חָצִיר | לַבְּהֵמָה וְעֵשֶׂב לַעֲבֹדַת הָאָדָם לְהוֹצִיא לֶחֶם מִן הָאָרֶץ:
15. And wine, which cheers man's heart, to make the face shine from oil, and bread, which sustains man's heart.       טו. וְיַיִן | יְשַׂמַּח לְבַב אֱנוֹשׁ לְהַצְהִיל פָּנִים מִשָּׁמֶן וְלֶחֶם לְבַב אֱנוֹשׁ יִסְעָד:
16. The Lord's trees are sated, the cedars of Lebanon, which He planted.       טז. יִשְׂבְּעוּ עֲצֵי יְהֹוָה אַרְזֵי לְבָנוֹן אֲשֶׁר נָטָע:
17. Where birds nest; as for the stork-the high junipers are its home.       יז. אֲשֶׁר שָׁם צִפֳּרִים יְקַנֵּנוּ חֲסִידָה בְּרוֹשִׁים בֵּיתָהּ:
18. The lofty mountains for the ibexes; the rocks a shelter for the hyraxes.       יח. הָרִים הַגְּבֹהִים לַיְּעֵלִים סְלָעִים מַחְסֶּה לַשְׁפַנִּים:
19. He made the moon for the appointed seasons; the sun knows its setting.       יט. עָשָׂה יָרֵחַ לְמוֹעֲדִים שֶׁמֶשׁ יָדַע מְבוֹאוֹ:
20. You make darkness and it is night, in which every beast of the forest moves about.       כ. תָּשֶׁת חֹשֶׁךְ וִיהִי לָיְלָה בּוֹ תִרְמֹשׂ כָּל חַיְתוֹ יָעַר:
21. The young lions roar for prey and to beg their food from God.       כא. הַכְּפִירִים שֹׁאֲגִים לַטָּרֶף וּלְבַקֵּשׁ מֵאֵל אָכְלָם:
22. When the sun rises they gather in and couch in their dens.       כב. תִּזְרַח הַשֶּׁמֶשׁ יֵאָסֵפוּן וְאֶל מְעוֹנֹתָם יִרְבָּצוּן:
23. Man goes out to his work, to his labor until evening.       כג. יֵצֵא אָדָם לְפָעֳלוֹ וְלַעֲבֹדָתוֹ עֲדֵי עָרֶב:
24. How great are Your works, O Lord! You have made them all with wisdom; the earth is full of Your possessions!       כד. מָה רַבּוּ מַעֲשֶׂיךָ | יְהֹוָה כֻּלָּם בְּחָכְמָה עָשִׂיתָ מָלְאָה הָאָרֶץ קִנְיָנֶךָ:
25. This sea-great and wide; there are creeping things and innumerable beasts, both small and large.       כה. זֶה | הַיָּם גָּדוֹל וּרְחַב יָדָיִם שָׁם רֶמֶשׂ וְאֵין מִסְפָּר חַיּוֹת קְטַנּוֹת עִם גְּדֹלוֹת:
26. There the ships go; You formed this leviathan with which to sport.       כו. שָׁם אֳנִיּוֹת יְהַלֵּכוּן לִוְיָתָן זֶה | יָצַרְתָּ לְשַׂחֶק בּוֹ:
27. They all look to You with hope, to give their food in its time.       כז. כֻּלָּם אֵלֶיךָ יְשַׂבֵּרוּן לָתֵת אָכְלָם בְּעִתּוֹ:
28. You give them that they may gather; You open Your hand that they may be sated with goodness.       כח. תִּתֵּן לָהֶם יִלְקֹטוּן תִּפְתַּח יָדְךָ יִשְׂבְּעוּן טוֹב:
29. You hide Your countenance and they are frightened; You gather in their spirit and they perish and return to their dust.       כט. תַּסְתִּיר פָּנֶיךָ יִבָּהֵלוּן תֹּסֵף רוּחָם יִגְוָעוּן וְאֶל עֲפָרָם יְשׁוּבוּן:
30. You will send forth Your spirit and they will be created, and You will renew the surface of the ground.       ל. תְּשַׁלַּח רוּחֲךָ יִבָּרֵאוּן וּתְחַדֵּשׁ פְּנֵי אֲדָמָה:
31. The glory of the Lord will be forever; the Lord will rejoice with His works.       לא. יְהִי כְבוֹד יְהֹוָה לְעוֹלָם יִשְׂמַח יְהֹוָה בְּמַעֲשָׂיו:
32. He Who looks at the earth and it quakes; He touches the mountains and they emit smoke.       לב. הַמַּבִּיט לָאָרֶץ וַתִּרְעָד יִגַּע בֶּהָרִים וְיֶעֱשָׁנוּ:
33. I shall sing to the Lord while I am alive; I shall sing praises to my God as long as I exist.       לג. אָשִׁירָה לַיהֹוָה בְּחַיָּי אֲזַמְּרָה לֵאלֹהַי בְּעוֹדִי:
34. May my speech be pleasing to Him; I shall rejoice with the Lord.       לד. יֶעֱרַב עָלָיו שִׂיחִי אָנֹכִי אֶשְׂמַח בַּיהֹוָה:
35. Sinners will be destroyed from the earth and the wicked will be no more; my soul, bless the Lord. Hallelujah.       לה. יִתַּמּוּ חַטָּאִים | מִן הָאָרֶץ וּרְשָׁעִים | עוֹד אֵינָם בָּרְכִי נַפְשִׁי אֶת יְהֹוָה הַלְלוּיָהּ:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 03:34:31 AM »
In perfect synchonicity, the song which is sung in the Rosh Chodesh bentching (prayers)... Rosh Chodesh falls out this weekend...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 01:01:02 AM »
Shalom & Shavuah Tov!

I hope everyone had a very inspiring Shabbat, I did (I hope to elaborate about it further in another thread)...

Matisyahu just released another new CD and originally I did not like the single which was released before the album was available.... But I have just heard the new songs and I must revise my original opinion. There are some very good elements in his new songs, the album named 'Akeda' which I think is a reference to the Akeida (the incident of the binding of Yitzak by our father Abraham)...

Here are some 'choice' tracks from the new CD...

Broken Car (video)

Surrender (video w/lyrics)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 01:11:02 AM »
Built to Survive

Champion

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 01:24:56 AM »
Vow of Silence

This song is very timely, as in the Torah portion we just read we learned the story of when Moses hit the rock. Matisyahu talks about that incident twice in this song...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 01:30:42 AM »
Obstacles...

Offline Every Jew AK47

• Master JTFer
  • Am Kahane Chai!
    • Good Music!
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 01:35:21 AM »
Chaim Yisrael - Ahmein (Amen)

Please keep the Kahanist movement strong and free of internal strife and drama.

Offline Every Jew AK47

• Master JTFer
  • Am Kahane Chai!
    • Good Music!
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 01:41:49 AM »
Chaim Yisrael - Derech Chadasha

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 01:42:37 AM »
Shalom EJA44,

I am interested in sharing some thoughts my rabbi had concerning your recent problems.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 01:47:33 AM »
'Thanks' or Todah, the name of the Jewish people comes from Judah which is Yehuda which means to thank Hashem...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 01:50:45 AM »
For those davening for 'Parnassa' or livelihood, the 'Tefillat Parnassa'..

Offline Every Jew AK47

• Master JTFer
  • Am Kahane Chai!
    • Good Music!
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 02:11:23 AM »
Shalom EJA44,

I am interested in sharing some thoughts my rabbi had concerning your recent problems.

:dance: :dance: :dance:  Love Gad Elbaz's stuff..

Offline Every Jew AK47

• Master JTFer
  • Am Kahane Chai!
    • Good Music!
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 02:15:01 AM »
Latma TV Presents - I'm An Israeli Soldier..  I absolutely love the song and amazed Latma TV can produce such good quality music..  They went from cool parodies to down right inspirational Jewish music

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 03:06:43 AM »
Amen EJA44.... I really like that tune, saw it last year... I sure hope this bunch can get back together and make some new videos.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2014, 03:11:59 AM »
I've been listening to a bunch of Adi Ran's stuff recently. I good singer and moving melodies...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 03:36:38 AM »

Offline Every Jew AK47

• Master JTFer
  • Am Kahane Chai!
    • Good Music!
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 03:57:11 AM »
Nice music from Adi Ran and powerful voice..  I have been also been meaning to see the film Ushpizin.   I mostly listen to Mizrachi or Sefardic music , but there are many Ashkenazi singers I really like, although I am not as familiar with their music.