Author Topic: An interesting way of look at creation and evolution  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
An interesting way of look at creation and evolution
« on: August 10, 2007, 09:19:04 AM »
(This is from Lubab's thread "are we getting closer to Torah?")

All living creatures have DNA and genes which are capable of undergoing mutations for the better or for the worst.  Some genes and behaviors have allowed certain family of species to survive and continue creating the same progeny which eventually resulted in a new species.  This doesn't take over night..takes millions of years possibly.

Listen, Gd created us from dust...What is dust made out of? Carbon, Water, Nitrogen, Oxygen Hydrogen.  You add some electricity and methane gas to that, you can pretty much create the building blocks of life: protein, nucleic acids etc...and that's the beginning ..bacteria ->single celled eucaryotes --> etc.  over billions of years that's how humans came to be..that may be Gd's magical way of creating life and all animals and plants...IF Gd wanted to just go zap here and zap there, it wouldn't seem as special to you and me.  However, the magical way to start with one cell without a nucleus until it gets to things that look like what we have today and humans which can create big tall buildings and make machines move on their own..and wow! the things we humans have done!  Now that's more amazing...a miracle...a huge huge huge huge..that Gd isn't just all powerful...that He's clever...the way He build's things.  And the fact that He can give humans the ability to create beautiful music and beautiful art and beautiful poetry...love...etc...i mean from a single cell prokaryote you get us..WOW.  I mean if we understood Gd to just create life as Zap here and Zap there...we has humans would never undertand patience.  Gd was patient in the way He created us...as we all should be patient in waiting for the Moshiach.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: An interesting way of look at creation and evolution
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 09:26:51 AM »
Is it a Jewish belief that God blows a soul into every human?

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 09:29:48 AM »
Is it a Jewish belief that G-d blows a soul into every human?

I'm no scholar but I think in Judaism that's supposed to be a metaphor.

Unlike in Islam where they believe that Allah literally took man up to his lips and blew his own breath into him.
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 09:34:29 AM »
I believe there is a question in the Talmud that asks why it took HaQadosh Barechu to create humans or the world (?) in 7 days as opposed to ZAP. The answer was that G-d wanted us to realize how precious a human being is, how much time it took to create him. Man's inhumanity to man destroys all of G-d's "hard" (for lack of a better term to describe The Infinite) work.

IDK, maybe lubab knows what I'm talking about.

You said it right!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 11:48:02 PM by There Are No 'Israeli' Arabs »
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein