Author Topic: A question for Jews of Polish descent.  (Read 3178 times)

newman

A question for Jews of Polish descent.
« on: August 10, 2007, 01:20:21 PM »
This may seem a trivial question but it's been bugging me. I read a while ago about a woman in Poland who makes wooden Chasidim dolls to sell to tourists. She said that in the old days before the war, Polaks used to touch the Chasidic Jews for luck. This seemed odd for a country that was so anti-semitic in the late 19th and  20th centuries. Have any of you ever heard of this custom amongst the Polish goyim?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: A question for Jews of Polish descent.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 01:24:03 PM »
This may seem a trivial question but it's been bugging me. I read a while ago about a woman in Poland who makes wooden Chasidim dolls to sell to tourists. She said that in the old days before the war, Polaks used to touch the Chasidic Jews for luck. This seemed odd for a country that was so anti-semitic in the late 19th and  20th centuries. Have any of you ever heard of this custom amongst the Polish goyim?
I'm not Polish never heard of it but sounds funny :laugh: :laugh:
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Chaim Schmiel

• New JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 03:22:09 PM »
My Granmother was from Poland and never mentioned the tradition of "touching" Chasidim, unless you are talking about how the nazis "touched" them.

newman

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 03:26:20 PM »
My Granmother was from Poland and never mentioned the tradition of "touching" Chasidim, unless you are talking about how the nazis "touched" them.

No. I was definitely referring to the claims of this woman who gave the impression that Polak goyim would lightly touch the Chasidim in the same way English and Australian people would touch a sailer's collar for luck.

Offline Chaim Schmiel

• New JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 03:33:15 PM »
It is my impression from when I was a kid in NY that the Chasidim didn't like to be touched by strangers and the tradition would not be greeted with joy.

newman

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 03:36:32 PM »
It is my impression from when I was a kid in NY that the Chasidim didn't like to be touched by strangers and the tradition would not be greeted with joy.

I'd say you are right, but since when did European goyim consider the feelings of the Jews?

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 05:01:24 PM »
There are actually stories of Polish non-jews praying at the grave of the Chafetz Chaim Rabbi Yisrael Meir HaKohen TZ"L for rain or good luck.

I heard such a story that said that the townsfolk of Radin where he is buried refused to allow re-internment in Israel for this reason.

I don't know the veracity of this story but I do find it highly unlikely that Poles who hated Jews as much as any Nazi would think that Jews were good luck or holy or anything of the sort.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

newman

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 05:39:05 PM »
There are actually stories of Polish non-jews praying at the grave of the Chafetz Chaim Rabbi Yisrael Meir HaKohen TZ"L for rain or good luck.

I heard such a story that said that the townsfolk of Radin where he is buried refused to allow re-internment in Israel for this reason.

I don't know the veracity of this story but I do find it highly unlikely that Poles who hated Jews as much as any Nazi would think that Jews were good luck or holy or anything of the sort.

Thanks JNC, old buddy.

I think she was a guilt ridden Polak looking at the past with rose coloured glasses.

kellymaureen

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 05:43:15 PM »
My grandparents never mentioned anything like that, I know they disliked germans and were not anti-semitic, but when they talked about really good stuff and there were little ears around they always did it in Polish...lol...thats when we knew that they were swearing:P

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 06:05:09 PM »
Glad to hear that your grandparents are not Jew-haters but the history of Polish anti-semitism is quite extensive.

Even after WWII, when Jewish survivors attempted to return to their homes, the Polish people had pogroms against them. I have actually visited Poland and there are graffiti swastikas all over the place.

Recently a Polish MP blamed all of Poland problem's on the Jews.

There are around 5 Jews living in Poland currently. It's amazing how they are able to cause so many problems.

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 06:11:45 PM »
No they have thousand of Jews living in Poland,including some Jews who did'nt even know they were Jews
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

newman

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 06:14:56 PM »
Glad to hear that your grandparents are not Jew-haters but the history of Polish anti-semitism is quite extensive.

Even after WWII, when Jewish survivors attempted to return to their homes, the Polish people had pogroms against them. I have actually visited Poland and there are graffiti swastikas all over the place.

There are around 5 Jews living in Poland currently. It's amazing how they are able to cause so many problems.

I love the way you guys are all super rich and cotroll all the money and gold in the world but keep up the pretense of working really hard in regular jobs and small businesses just to keep up appearences. (sarcasm off)

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 06:16:44 PM »
The story is false.  The Pollacks are the greatest anti semites out there according to my Grandfather who lived there. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

kellymaureen

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 06:19:02 PM »
My grandparents had arrived in the US before the end of the war.  They didnt talk alot about what had happened but I know that my grandfather especially hated germans, never trusted one....grandpa was one to hold a grudge:P

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 06:28:56 PM »

I love the way you guys are all super rich and cotroll all the money and gold in the world but keep up the pretense of working really hard in regular jobs and small businesses just to keep up appearences. (sarcasm off)

I hear this stuff from the schvartzas at my work all the time.

I tell them, "man, do I wish that stereotype was true, maybe then I would own a car or a house or something."

newman

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 07:28:12 PM »

I hear this stuff from the schvartzas at my work all the time.

I tell them, "man, do I wish that stereotype was true, maybe then I would own a car or a house or something."

:laugh: :laugh:

Like Massuh said

"I'm sick of being broke and working at my crappy job! This world dommination thing looks like fun."

raiseyourfist

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 06:45:35 AM »
IF i was a polish jew i wouldn't want to be living in a country as anti-semitic as that

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2007, 08:30:43 AM »
I bought a doll like this when I was in Poland as a present for someone. They were well-made and all had "different personalities." I saw a lot of tourists buying these dolls.

newman

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2007, 08:38:31 AM »
I bought a doll like this when I was in Poland as a present for someone. They were well-made and all had "different personalities." I saw a lot of tourists buying these dolls.

Did they bob back and forth like a Jew at prayer?

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 08:43:39 AM »

Did they bob back and forth like a Jew at prayer?

You know? I don't remember. I don't think so.