Poll

Which of these generations of self hating Jews were the worst in our history?

The Israelites who stayed in Egypt and didn't leave with Moses?
1 (8.3%)
The Israelites who worshipped the Golden Calf?
1 (8.3%)
The Israelites prior to the first exile to Babylon?
0 (0%)
The Jews before the second exile by the Romans?
0 (0%)
Today's Jews in and outside of Israel?
8 (66.7%)
Other time period (specify)
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Worst generation of Self Hating Jews/Israelites/Hebrews  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Worst generation of Self Hating Jews/Israelites/Hebrews
« on: August 11, 2014, 10:45:51 AM »
I asked Chaim this question for next week.

And if other time period, please post us a history lesson.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Worst generation of Self Hating Jews/Israelites/Hebrews
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 10:48:16 AM »
I chose the first one since what was taking place was an obvious miracle and presence of Gd.  If one couldn't see it at that time, then I don't know what self hating is.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 11:41:20 AM »
I think they all stem from a similar level of ignorance. Back in ancient times the magics and idols had more power than today to balance out free choice (According to lectures I watched of Rabbi Yosef Mizrachi). The hellenist Jews had to be the worse though because atleast in these days many irreligious jews are religious out of ignorance. I doubt there was many Jews back than who had no idea who Hashem was.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:56:51 PM by kyel »

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 11:53:44 AM »
I think they all stem from a similar level of ignorance. Back in ancient times the magics and idols had more power than today to balance out free choice. The hellenist Jews had to be the worse though because atleast in these days many irreligious jews are religious out of ignorance. I doubt there was many jews back than who had no idea who Hashem was.
Also they were drawn to the idols because part of the service to the idol was having your way with the women in front of the idol  & the pagan women seduced them.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 12:53:23 PM »
One can make an argument that Today's generation is the worst because of the Galut cultures changing the way one understands the Torah.  Punishments are meant to lead to tshuva.  If the Galut is a punishment, many Jews have become worse from that punishment.

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 05:40:30 PM »
I asked Chaim this question for next week.

And if other time period, please post us a history lesson.
I think that Chaim will answer the Jews who didn't follow Moses out of Egypt.  If he doesn't answer with that, he'll pick today's jews.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 10:33:02 PM »
What about the Jews that believed the evil spies and didn't want to enter The Land of Israel? The Jews that worshipped the Golden Calf were wiped out before that. The complaining in the Desert with all the open miracles would make you think the Jews of the Generation of the Desert were the worst self-hating Jews. An entire male generation of Jews was banned from the Land of Israel.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 10:43:09 PM »
 You should be VERY careful with this type of questions. Hashem punished the Prophet Isaiah and Eliyahu Hanavi for speaking against Jews as a whole even when what they said was true at the time.
  Isaiah had his mouth cut off into 2 (all the way through) by his own grandson while he was hiding in a tree, for complaining about Jews to G-D (as a punishment from G-D) and Eliyahu is said to come to every Brit Milah as a punishment for saying that the Jews at the time were not keeping the covenant (of Brit Milah). He has to come as a punishment so that he personally attests that the Jews ARE keeping this Misswah.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 06:07:34 AM »
I wasn't complaining about any Jews. I put forth a question so that we can all learn something and how not to imitate self hating behavior. I have no intention but to have pity for those who went astray from Hashem

Offline El_Impulsado

• New JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 09:21:27 PM »
Every Generation seems screw up somehow, I think it all started when we decided that Gemara was more important than martial arts, when we decided that in order to be a mensch we had to disconnect with our bodies and politely let "fill in the blank" take our dignity. I think the only remedy Is every child in cheder starting to learn martial arts on through their whole education, and every man in Kollel learning how to use and maintain a weapon.
When your going through hell just keep going you"ll make it out eventually.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 09:24:25 PM »
I don't believe that there is a worst generation... Jews have had issues from day one, as Hashem and Moshe both called us 'Stiff Necked' people. We need to work on uniting all Jews to at least be able to get along without fighting.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 09:38:55 PM »
Every Generation seems screw up somehow, I think it all started when we decided that Gemara was more important than martial arts, when we decided that in order to be a mensch we had to disconnect with our bodies and politely let "fill in the blank" take our dignity. I think the only remedy Is every child in cheder starting to learn martial arts on through their whole education, and every man in Kollel learning how to use and maintain a weapon.

What? Hashem is more important than Martial Arts. Exercise is important especially in our days if one wants to maintain their physical strength because we are not obligated to do physical labor like most people in the world had to before the rise of technology and it is a mitzvah to be healthy but Hashem is much more important than these things. If one wants to exercise they could also use the time to listen to Torah lectures(such as torahanytime.com), if they are able to concentrate well exercising.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 09:49:45 PM »
What? Hashem is more important than Martial Arts. Exercise is important especially in our days if one wants to maintain their physical strength because we are not obligated to do physical labor like most people in the world had to before the rise of technology and it is a mitzvah to be healthy but Hashem is much more important than these things. If one wants to exercise they could also use the time to listen to Torah lectures(such as torahanytime.com), if they are able to concentrate well exercising.

I agree... We Jews must continue studying the Gemara... But we also need to follow the Torah which tells us to be strong against enemies. We have produced some great fighters and need to be strong in both Torah learning and in warfare.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 10:20:27 PM »
Jews need to know Judaism in particular the ones in galut. The galut has destroyed the way we are supposed to understand Judaism

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 10:36:37 PM »
I don't understand how most of these choices can be described as self hating.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 10:41:25 PM »
I say the generation of the Golden Calf, because they were so close to HaShem and saw miracles, and still fell into idol worship. ..
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 10:43:13 PM »
Agree.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 06:20:40 AM »

So what should we call it? 

Offline El_Impulsado

• New JTFer
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 06:26:17 AM »

I never said stop learning Gemarah or going to kollel I just said that there needs to be a better balanced curriculum. 
you know Chessed when it's needed and Gevurah when it's needed, Avrahm Avinue was a pillar of chesed, but When he needed to use Gevurah he did it.
When your going through hell just keep going you"ll make it out eventually.