Author Topic: Beware of 2nd Ave Deli,Zans on Long Island & Bens  (Read 419 times)

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Beware of 2nd Ave Deli,Zans on Long Island & Bens
« on: August 18, 2014, 07:02:30 AM »
Their kashrus is questionable because they are open on shabbos,cook on shabbos & take money.
If the owner is not religious or not Jewish altogether & there is no mashgiach on premises from opening to closing it can not be trusted.
Both have neither.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Beware of 2nd Ave Deli,Zans on Long Island & Bens
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 10:47:12 AM »
Consult your local orthodox rabbi.  Not all agree that a restaurant being open on shabbos necessarily renders the food unkosher or kashrus unreliable in general.  (I know that may come as a shock to some people, but I had a shaila (question) like this and a place was permitted to me to eat there during the week despite being open on shabbos when I asked my rav, and they had a reliable kosher certification).  A person should find out what certificarion the place has, then present these facts to their rabbi and ask for a psak din whether they can eat there. 

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 10:49:40 AM »
Consult your local orthodox rabbi.  Not all agree that a restaurant being open on shabbos necessarily renders the food unkosher or kashrus unreliable in general.  (I know that may come as a shock to some people, but I had a shaila (question) like this and a place was permitted to me to eat there during the week despite being open on shabbos when I asked my rav, and they had a reliable kosher certification).  A person should find out what certificarion the place has, then present these facts to their rabbi and ask for a psak din whether they can eat there.
If food is being cooked on shabbos & money being exchanged you can not trust it period.

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 10:56:09 AM »
If no money is exchanged & cooking done as long as it on a blech/plata it wouldn't be a problem.
Years ago there was a restaurant in NY that you pre-paid before shabbos & t was okay to eat there.
But in the places I mentioned this is not the case & I have yet to meet an Orthodox rabbi who himself would eat at a place that exchanged money & cooked food on shaboss.
Everyone I have have spoken to says no good & not allowed & that is everyone from RCA & YU rabbis to Chabad Rabbis.
Obviously I haven't spoken to every single one in the world but I have spoken to enough over the years to get a consensus.