Author Topic: Me writing articles  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Me writing articles
« on: August 29, 2014, 02:33:14 AM »
bla bla bla
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:51:19 PM by LKZ »
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Me writing articles
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 02:54:13 AM »
LKZ,

I see your message and need to think what to answer.

You need to find a woman, and that is the sensible easy answer.

It's not easy, you say. This is a fact of life in todays world. But you are smart, you can think logically, and if you apply yourself you can achieve what you seek.

I will talk with you later. In my opinion these kinds of topics should really not take place in public. But I will try to think of your situation.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 06:07:28 AM »
Ok I figured it out, I don't have ADD. Happened when I just put my new pair of glasses on, and went outside, saw a girl apparently coming from the pool who was checking me out digging up my lawn, and I just realized I can't even count how long it's been since I was with a woman or when I was able to think clearly without massively exhaustive psychological effort. It fits in with all the circumstances, I can type here for 10 minutes and stretch it to an hour with working out in between, at work desire for money and hope to save the world bribes me not to think about me, but creative thoughts are virtually impossible.

Question for Muman or Chaim, that I may have asked before, but didn't get an answer, and I don't know if I'll be able to put my head down and keep shoevelling next time miss half-naked Frenchie smiles at one of my muscles, so it's urgent: what do you do without sex? How do you function at anything (other than breaking things)?

Every day I'm getting closer to wrapping that tefillin around my neck instead of my hand. I want to do good things, but I'm useless to the world like this. Would it be better if I went back to having a few madmoiselles on the side, and go back to making money and help people with it, or continue in this almost perpetual state of insanity and do nothing for the world.

I really want to have a wife and raise a family. A Rabbi said that if you don't want to be said, lower your expectations. I expect to do that, and bring about a new era in manufacturing and change the world. Take either, especially the first, hope away from me, and I don't have the energy to fight, not that it makes an enormous difference, but basically, something has to go or work, because if I don't work I'm going to go.

I know a bunch of 30+ year old Jewish guys that aren't married. They're religious and lawyers, and I don't go with them to strip clubs, and they're laughing at me and saying I'm to into all this and wtv. They're right that I'm in over my head, and if I'm 30 and I'm not married, whatever tortured humanity in me will already be gone, if it isn't already. I'm not telling you what's going on in my head, but I don't care about anyone like I used to, and there's some straight up evil [censored] going on in there.

I tried studying Torah all day. Helps. I've been doing that for months. I miss a day, I go back years before I was trying to be good. I still can't do anything. If I think about my life I go into depression, and I remember I have a body, and it's blood rage.

Blah blah blah. Doesn't even matter what you say, I suppose, because all the great advice in the world just gets me to lower my expectation to where I think I'll be in this hell of uselessness forever. Just pray I [censored] die.

A lot of mixed up things here.   First, do not cease making money or doing things in the world.  Who ever told you that was positive?   The pirkei avot says Torah study without working for a living will lead to sin.  It's coded in the halacha as such that a person should work in addition to learning.   Whoever told you to give up on your professional dreams is really steering you wrong, and is a misguided person.   
I know for a fact that some of these baal teshuva places are like that and they seriously mess people up because they convince them they need to sit like a chacham learning non-stop (as if your local Yossi BT is R Chaim Kanievsky) and promote the false idea that all religious Jews must sit and be chachamim learning non-stop when that is simply not true.   You have a lot to contribute to the world and to the Jewish world by being YOU and also combining your strengths with the daily practices as well as Torah learning.

As for the women issue, there is no easy answer.   My best advice is to try your best to control yourself and have faith you will one day you will have a wife to express yourself in that manner with.    It is pure temptation but none of it is real.   A loving relationship with another person is real and that happens via marriage.    It doesn't anyway happen in a fling and the fling will leave you unfulfilled and lacking the true connection you actually seek anyway.   We, as men, are misled by these desires, strong as they are.     What we really want is loving connection and spiritual fulfillment and we can achieve that with marriage relationship.

You didn't ask for my advice but I am giving it anyway because I hope that I can help you.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 02:19:41 PM »
Oh and it was pirkei avot that advised me to give up hope. It says to be happy lower your expectations, you come from a putrid drop and when you die your body will be eaten by worms. how's that supposed to make you happy?

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 02:48:15 PM »
Whatever doesn't matter now. I'm in debt more than 10 to the university and dropped out because I can't do anything, and my boss is trying to replace me at work because I'm not doing anything. I also ditched all my friends, and instead of the mikveh parties i signed up for, I'm a useless monk and a hermit. I just want to die now.

What do you mean you can't do anything? Maybe pick up jogging or some form of exercise + leave the computer more and find new friends?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 03:01:26 PM »
LKZ,

We all feel depressed from time to time... Please try to have a good Shabbat and let us chat on Saturday night or Sunday morning.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 08:52:41 PM »
Whoa you're turning me on now! Can you post some of those muscles for me to gawk at?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 09:36:02 PM »
There is never an excuse for sexual immorality, even temporarily. Find yourself a wife.

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 09:39:32 PM »
LKZ, you are an excellent writer,  I can tell from your  posts.  I think you have great ability.  You could easily write for magazines and other outlets. 

Except the last post, which was kind of pointless.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 11:15:54 PM »
You met Shi 360? What the hell? I love his music!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 11:20:58 PM »
And what is the problem with girls? Why don't you get a girlfriend?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 11:59:02 PM »
Im impressed...

I almost attended a Shabbaton where Matisyahu attended... But I was unable to go...

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 12:05:38 AM »
LKZ, are you still in frogland?

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 12:07:09 AM »
LKZ, are you still in frogland?

No, I left Algeria a little while ago.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 01:15:58 AM »
I realized that there's a good reason why certain things sound stupid when you say them aloud. When it comes down to it if I could choose to trade between a good life that you chill and a crappy life where you save a million people, OK, so you just keep fighting.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 02:16:18 PM »
Oh and it was pirkei avot that advised me to give up hope. It says to be happy lower your expectations, you come from a putrid drop and when you die your body will be eaten by worms. how's that supposed to make you happy?

Sounds like you are misinterpreting the mishna.   That mishna promotes HUMILITY - and it is factual whether to you or me those are happy facts or not.  We are mere specks in the universe.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 03:05:45 PM »
Sounds like you are misinterpreting the mishna.   That mishna promotes HUMILITY - and it is factual whether to you or me those are happy facts or not.  We are mere specks in the universe.

Alright, humility, check. Rabbi Mizrachi says we're not here to be happy anyways. Is it wrong to wish you weren't living in 24/7 hell?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 03:48:48 PM »
LKZ,

There are two thoughts a Jew should hold in his outlook every moment of every day.

1) The whole world was created for me...

2) I am nothing but a worm...

These two thoughts should bring us to the middle ground... Not too arrogant, and not too humble...

Concentrating on either of these ideas alone will lead to either depression, or arrogance...

http://www.torah.org/learning/dvartorah/5759/behaaloscha.html

The Kotzker Rebbe put it succinctly when he said that a person should have a piece of paper in each side pocket. On one should be written, "The world was created (just) for me". On the other, "I am (originated from only) dust and ashes". The trick in life, says the Rebbe is to know when to take out which piece of paper!

http://www.torahweb.org/torah/2003/parsha/rsac_korach.html

The Midrash Rabba, at the beginning of Bamidbar, explains that the Torah was given to Bnai Yisroel with "aish umayim" (fire and water). Mayim, our chachamim assert, represents shiflus (humility), as they explain: "ma mayim manichin b'makom gavoa, v'holchin l'makom namuch, af divrei torah ainam mikaymin ela b'mi she'da'ato shefeila" - just as water leaves a higher level and goes to a lower level, so too the words of Torah are retained only by one who is humble. Aish (fire), however, which is constantly ascending, represents the confidence and assuredness of one who pursues Torah.

At once, we are challenged to balance the characteristics of aish and mayim. Balancing the statement of Avraham Avinu, "anochi affar v'eiffer" (Braishis 18:27) "I am but dust and ash", and the teaching of the mishna Sanhedrin (4:5) "l'fichach kol echad chayav lomar bishvili nivra ha'olam" - the conviction that the whole world was created for me.

Rav Asher Weiss explains that the sin of the meraglim (spies) and the rebellion of Korach va'adaso mark tragically improper applications of these middos (character traits).

Hakadosh Baruch Hu had promised and assured us of the successful conquest of Eretz Yisroel. The mergalim were called upon to embrace the middas ho'aish (trait of fire), to reflect confidence and conviction. Tragically, they felt dwarfed and humbled by the inhabitants of Canaan. "Vayehi b'ainenu k'hagavim, v'chein hayinu b'aineihem" (Bamidbar 13:33), "And we were as grasshoppers in our eyes and so we were in their eyes"; one must show the middas ho'aish and faithfully implement the ratson Hashem (will of Hashem).

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 03:59:42 PM »
You are referring to Pirkie Avot Chapter 3 Mishnah 1 which reads:

http://www.shechem.org/torah/avot.html
1. Akavya ben Mahalalel said: Reflect upon three things and you will not come to sin. Know from where you came and where you are going and before whom you are destined to give account and reckoning. From where have you come?--from a putrid drop. Wherr are you going?--to the place of dust, worm, and maggot. Before whom are you destined to give account and reckoning?--before the supreme King of kings, the Holy One, blessed be He.

See also the wisdom of Rabbi Levitas of Yavneh who in Chapter 4 Mishnah 4 says:

http://www.torah.org/learning/pirkei-avos/chapter4-4.html
"Rabbi Levitas of Yavneh said: Be extremely lowly of spirit, for the end of man is worms."

From torah.org the following lesson on PA 4:4

Dust and Ashes

Chapter 4, Mishna 4

By Rabbi Dovid Rosenfeld

"Rabbi Levitas of Yavneh said: Be extremely lowly of spirit, for the end of man is worms."

This week's mishna advises us to be humble, "lowly of spirit." We should not be excessively proud of ourselves or our talents. We certainly must not identify too strongly with that little bit of flesh into which G-d breathed our souls, "for the end of man is worms."

Our mishna's language strikes us. Be extremely lowly ("me'od me'od" ("very very") in Hebrew). R. Levitas does not mince his words. Go to an extreme; treat yourself like dirt. Consider yourself and your body as the rotting carcass it will one day become.

And this should strike us. Judaism (in spite of a perhaps fundamentalist image) is not a religion of extremes. It does not preach poverty, celibacy or self-flagellation. It even instructs us (from a theological standpoint) to care for our health. Thus, we would expect the Torah to foster a more balanced attitude towards our physical halves and our self images. Shouldn't we see ourselves as important and potentially great individuals? Aren't our bodies worthy and divinely-constructed tools to be used in the service of G-d? Won't such crushing self-denigration demean us and sap us of our self-confidence? Should we really view ourselves as nothing more than eventual food for worms?

To explain, I would like to back up a bit. Let us first better define the arrogance our mishna decries. We will then be able to distinguish between true, healthy humility and a crushing, debilitating sense of worthlessness.

The Sages view arrogance as virtually the antithesis of everything Jewish. The Talmud writes that a person who is conceited is as one who commits idolatry, and that G-d says to such a person: "He and I cannot dwell together in the world" (Sotah 4b-5a). The implication is that one who is vain -- who is full of himself -- has left no room for G-d. He commits idolatry in that he worships himself and his own qualities -- failing, of course, to realize that it was G-d who blessed him with his talents to begin with.

Further, such a person is guilty of "stealing" from G-d, priding himself for qualities which are truly not his own. As my teacher R. Yochanan Zweig (www.talmudicu.edu) often points out, any skills or natural aptitudes which were basically granted to us at birth cannot truly be considered "ours". We did nothing to earn them; they are direct gifts from G-d -- and ultimately His possessions. Our own small part in them is only in realizing our potential, the degree to which we humbly make good the trust G-d has invested in us.

Maimonides (Mishne Torah Hil' De'os 1:4 http://www.torah.org/learning/mlife/ch1law3-4a.html), while discussing proper character traits, states that ordinarily the golden middle is our best approach to life. One should not be too lustful or too ascetic, too cheap or too extravagant, too sullen or too frivolous. Nevertheless, there are two exceptions to this golden rule -- one of them being humility (ibid., 2:3 http://www.torah.org/learning/mlife/ch2law3a.html). We must go to the extreme in self-effacement and the avoidance of ego.

And the reason for this is that arrogance is not just a matter of a single bad trait. The more a person is the center of his own world the less likely he will be capable of forging a relationship with G-d. To do so requires that we give up a little of ourselves. If we recognize the G-d who entrusted us with our abilities, we can begin to repay that G-d and make good His trust. The arrogant person, however, focuses on himself alone. He has robbed G-d, so to speak, of the talents he was blessed with. He thus lacks the most fundamental component for building a relationship with G-d. In fact, the good deeds he does perform may be doing no more than increasing his pride and haughtiness -- further distancing himself from G-d, rather than bringing him closer.

But there is something far more subtle here. Most sins and negative character traits are easy to spot. Anger, miserliness, rashness, apathy: we (or at least others) generally know full well when we suffer from such. Arrogance, however, is a far more cunning animal: it is protean. (Depression is also an elusive one, but for another discussion...) A great rabbi (I believe it was R. Moshe Sofer, of 18th-19th century central Europe)) once remarked that signs of humility may themselves be a form of arrogance. I think this can best be illustrated with a classic Jewish joke.

The scene was the synagogue shortly before Kol Nidre services on Yom Kippur eve. The mood was tense, palpably so -- the strong feelings of remorse over past deeds, anxiousness to get going with the services. The full solemnity of the day weighed heavily upon the congregation. Suddenly, the rabbi, no longer able to contain himself, rushes up to the ark and cries out "Ich bin a gornisht! Ich bin a gornisht!" ("I'm a no one! I'm a no one!" -- that's Yiddish) and returns to his seat, just a little bit relieved. Shortly after, the shammash (beadle) takes the rabbi's lead and follows suit. Pretty soon the leading community members, then the average ones, all file up one at a time to cry out their own confession.

An itinerant beggar has meanwhile wandered into the synagogue and sat himself down on the back bench. Rather bewildered by all the commotion, he figures that this must be the synagogue custom or something, and so he too drags himself in front of the congregation and does the same. At that point the rabbi turns to the beadle and says, "Oich mir a gornisht!" (Poorly translated: "Who does he think he is calling himself a nobody?")

I was never a very good joke teller, and in that spirit I'll do the unforgivable: I'll *explain* the joke -- because I really want this message driven home. What was funny about the scene? Because when the rabbi or somebody "important" humbles himself before G-d he's *doing* something. In spite of his greatness he's admitting his smallness. And that admission, of course, makes him even greater. But when someone who *really is* a no one humbles himself -- well, what good is that? What does he think he's trying to *show*?!

Another important counter example, not as funny but equally tragic, and one I've observed close up many a time. Say someone keeps to himself and refuses to receive honors (say during synagogue services). On the outside he might appear quite humble. But in truth, he's probably doing so as a way of feeling aloof from the crowd. Subconsciously he is saying: "Nobody knows the true respect I deserve. I don't want *them* to honor *me*. Better to be in my own world -- bitter at the lack of recognition I receive, rather than together in the world of others -- grateful for the good they do for me."

Such a person is in the center of his own little world -- a very self-centered one -- which leaves little room for others and certainly none for G-d. (And it requires a heck of a lot of willpower to wrest oneself from such a selfish little universe.) It matters little how many mitzvos (commandments) such a person is fulfilling and how much of the Talmud he has memorized. He is serving no one but himself.

Jeremiah expresses it simply but eloquently: "Thus says the L-rd: Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, and let not the strong man glory in his strength. Let not the rich man glory in his riches. For in this shall he that glories glory -- understand and know Me... says the L-rd" (9:22-23). Good deeds in the context of building a relationship with G-d are invaluable. But used to raise myself up and look down upon others are acts of pettiness, selfishness, and ultimately of distancing myself from G-d.

Now let us return to our initial question. Arrogance may be all-consuming, but why must we go to the opposite extreme? Didn't we learn in the past that G-d willed it that no two people are alike, that every one of us is unique and can contribute to the world in a way no one else can? Our bodies might be dust and ashes, but aren't our souls formed of the breath of G-d Himself? Is such pathetic self-deprecation even healthy, let alone admirable?

I'll answer briefly this week -- this is a theme we will hopefully return to in the future. But in a word, the answer is that we must distinguish between humility and its far cousin -- low self esteem. Humility does not mean we must tell ourselves we are worthless or undeserving. Moses was called humblest of men (Numbers 12:3) though he most certainly knew he was the greatest prophet ever and lawgiver of the nation (and he certainly always found within him the nerve to take sinners head on when the need arose). Abraham referred to himself as "dust and ashes" (Genesis 18:27) though there is no doubt he knew full well the pivotal role he was playing in world history.

Rather, humility means we see ourselves as full -- even proud -- members of humankind, possessing all the greatness and uniqueness this entails. Yet we are not aggrandized by such a notion. We humbly and solemnly accept our obligation. It was G-d who entrusted us with such talent and potential. We have much to live up to.

Low self esteem is too a lack of arrogance, but in a very different way. We are not full of ourselves, but it is because we lack a true recognition of our uniqueness and potential. One with low self esteem may lack a healthy awareness of his uniqueness or might be subconsciously denying it -- in order to shirk the greatness he knows he can live up to. Neither alternative will help us realize our goal. Only if we recognize our greatness and the Creator from which it came, can we begin to turn "dust and ashes" into "the world was created for me" (Mishna Sanhedrin 4:5).

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 04:14:54 PM »
Rabbi Kahanes lesson (from the Talmud) about why Torah was given at mount Sinai.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 04:21:49 PM »
On a humorous note, while going to High School I had a friend (An Estonian friend) who wrote in my HS Yearbook:

Moderation in all things.... Except vodka...

I doubt he learned it from Rambam, as the Torah.org article I posted above states:

Maimonides (Mishne Torah Hil' De'os 1:4 http://www.torah.org/learning/mlife/ch1law3-4a.html), while discussing proper character traits, states that ordinarily the golden middle is our best approach to life. One should not be too lustful or too ascetic, too cheap or too extravagant, too sullen or too frivolous. Nevertheless, there are two exceptions to this golden rule -- one of them being humility (ibid., 2:3 http://www.torah.org/learning/mlife/ch2law3a.html). We must go to the extreme in self-effacement and the avoidance of ego.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 04:29:52 PM »
One more thought on this topic before I move on to other things...

This one is a bit heavy, but it explains some of the concepts concerning PA 3:1 (about the putrid drop)...

http://www.torah.org/learning/pirkei-avos/chapter3-1.html

Chapter 3, Mishna 1

The Afterlife: Souls Exposed

By Rabbi Dovid Rosenfeld

"Akavia ben (son of) Mehalalel said: Consider three things and you will not come to sin. Know from where you have come, to where you are heading, and before Whom you will give justification and accounting. From where have you come? From a putrid drop (of semen). To where are you heading? To a place of dirt, worms and maggots. And before Whom will you give justification and accounting? Before the King of kings, the Holy One blessed be He."

This mishna places our lives in the proper perspective. We must see ourselves as finite and corporeal beings, composed of flesh derived from the dust of the earth. Likewise, our flesh will one day return to its source and leave us with nothing than our souls and accomplishments to accompany us when we stand before our Creator. It's worthwhile examining each of Akavia's point individually; the combined imagery is potent indeed.

Our origins should perhaps be the most humbling aspect of our self-awareness. We all come from the same quite "ordinary" beginnings. Pagan kings of old used to claim descent from the heavenly bodies. And (at the risk of generating a flurry of irate e-mails...), other religions claim their savior spawned from something "holier" than mere sexual relations. We make no such claims. For man should see himself (at least his physical side) as something not so qualitatively different from any beast of the field. Even the greatest Torah scholar once leaked out of his diaper, spat up on his mother's good dress, played ball indoors and broke his parents' expensive vase, and got yelled at by his mother for carrying on. We all began as purely physical, helpless, demanding creatures. What we make of ourselves after is our own choosing. But the humbling memory of our all-too-human past must accompany us all the while.

(This reminds me that today we live in a period in which some of the greatest, most traditional members of the American (and even Israeli) rabbinate attended public school in their youth -- at a time when school prayer and Christmas carols were very much a part of the itinerary. (The Jewish day school movement did not really get underway until shortly after the War.) R. Berel Wein related that he was once being driven, together with a number of senior rabbis, to a Jewish function. During the course of the conversation it turned out that nearly all the rabbis present attended public school. One of those present was a Chassidic Rebbe in full garb. When doubt was cast upon his secular schooling, he proved it by singing a carol -- I think it was "Silent Night" -- to the other rabbis!)

(For my part, my father OBM came home one day from kindergarten disappointed that he was only the second chubbiest in his class -- and so someone else was chosen for the role of Santa. (His parents shortly after moved him to Jewish day school.) My mother, being small, would always be a fairy.)

Our mishna next tells us to consider where we are heading. Our bodies will soon decay. If so, how attached to our pleasures should we really be? Does the mortality of our flesh imply that we had better enjoy it while it lasts -- or that there is far more to the eternality of man than that which rots and decays? How much time and money would we devote to setting our hair (or shaitlach) if we knew the transience of the physical world? Would we spend time pumping iron, increasing the flesh which will one day be consumed by maggots? (The Sages tell us further that the more one is attached to his physical form, the more painful and wrenching death will be.) Far better to invest our efforts into deeds and accomplishments which will remain with us beyond the grave. King Solomon stated it best: "As he came forth from his mother's womb, naked shall he return... nothing of his efforts will he take with him" (Koheles 5:14).

Finally, contemplating that ultimate day of reckoning will force us to live prepared. King Solomon too warns us: "At all times shall your clothes be white" (Koheles 9:8). The time to prepare for the afterlife is now. After we go -- when it's all too clear that the only meaning to existence is closeness to G-d -- it will be too late. There is virtually nothing more basic to Judaism than the concept of the afterlife and that we will be taken to task for all our actions. We all know deep down that we will have to face our Maker sooner or later. The more we live with that awareness, the better prepared we will be.

I'd like to devote the rest of this class to a fascinating insight contained in Akavia's choice of wording. As we know, G-d is omniscient. There is nothing that we think, say or do that is not known to Him. If so, at the time of our deaths, our judgment should be immediately clear to G- d. He knows exactly what we did and why, and how and when we should have behaved better. Thus, theoretically our judgment should be instantaneous and effortless, not requiring any deliberation or reflection

The Sages, however, never describe it that way. Our mishna states that we will one day have to "give justification and accounting" ("din v'cheshbon") before G-d. It seems that more will transpire than a mere handing down of a verdict. In fact, all throughout Jewish writings our ultimate judgment is portrayed as a trial. We will stand before a heavenly tribunal; we will be forced to view our entire lives and defend ourselves before the fearsome prosecutor. The Talmud states that we will be forced to respond to questions about our behavior in this world (Shabbos 31a), and that we will have to sign our names in approval of the judgment we will receive (Ta'anis 11a). (There appears to be a contradiction in the Talmud if the first question we will be asked is if we conducted our business affairs honestly or if we set aside daily time for Torah study.)

But what's really the point of all this? Are there really going to be court proceedings almost in the manner we have in this world? Isn't the whole thing really just a show trial? Or are the Sages just speaking in colorful metaphor?

Rabbeinu Yonah comments on our mishna as follows: Much worse than the punishment a person will receive for his sins, he will experience an enormous sense of shame. People are embarrassed by their misdeeds, especially if they are caught in the act, and especially if it exposes them as being of much poorer character than they outwardly project. Continues R. Yonah, if a person is put to shame in this world he will be mortified, but it will eventually subside. Our memories are limited and finite (while other people move on to the next scandal), and we will slowly be able to put the incident out of mind. For in this world, our souls are tempered by their presence in physical bodies.

After death, however, our souls will be fully exposed before G-d. There will be no physical layers under which to hide our shame, and no "memory lapses" to put the agony out of our minds. And we will be viewed not only by fellow human beings -- as fault-ridden as we. We will be in full view of G-d. Our souls will be exposed. Our shame will be eternal. And we will have nowhere to hide.

R. Yonah provides us with a critical insight into the nature of the judgment which awaits us in Heaven: it is shame! Our concept of reward and punishment is not a matter of paying up past debts or of G-d evening the score with us. It is the unbridled self-awareness which will result when our souls depart their bodies. Our souls will be "on trial." We will be forced to face our faults and be cognizant of them -- much as a defendant facing the overwhelming evidence of the prosecution. We will come face to face with our Creator. There will be no protective cloak, no layers of physicality or self-imposed ignorance, and no defense mechanisms. We will not be able to ignore who we are or make feigned excuses. We will be alone with ourselves -- and with our G-d. And this might be the ultimate bliss or the most excruciating torment -- depending, of course, how we spent our lives.

R. Aryeh Kaplan of blessed memory, in his work "Immortality and the Soul," discusses the true nature of Hell. He explains that one of the biggest tasks of our brains is to block out rather than absorb information. If every bit of input which reaches our senses would be registered -- every one of the billions upon billions of cells which trigger in our eyes and ears at every moment, we would quickly be overwhelmed. The human brain acts much more as a reducing valve than a listening device -- blocking out nearly all external stimuli so that we notice only that which we are focused on -- as well as sudden or unexpected sights or sounds on the peripheral. As jamming mechanisms our brains allow ourselves to be productive while allowing for self-preservation.

(I'm paying attention right now for a moment, and I hear birds singing, kids playing, cars going by, the hum of my computer's fan -- all of which my brain was successfully blocking out so I could write this class. Imagine if our brains could not distinguish between the significant and the background drone.)

Our memories work in a similar fashion. They too retain only what they deem necessary, leaving aside most of what is not significant -- as well as that which we would prefer not to remember. (Consider the many recorded cases of child abuse -- in which the child literally put the horrific memories out of his or her mind. Years later, the person has an eerie revulsion for certain people or places -- and he doesn't know why.) Thus, while in our physical state, we cope with life by blocking out and leaving aside much of the unwanted and unnecessary. And what we are left with is often far from the entire story.

However, our consciousness -- our souls -- absorb everything. We know all our mistakes and misdeeds. And when our souls depart from their bodies, they will exist without the jamming mechanisms of the brain. And so, the afterlife will be one of exposure, of coming face to face with our true selves. We will stand naked before G-d, fully aware of all our virtues and all our faults. For some of us this will be the ultimate of bliss. And for others, it will be an eternal hell.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 06:56:48 PM »
Alright, humility, check. Rabbi Mizrachi says we're not here to be happy anyways. Is it wrong to wish you weren't living in 24/7 hell?

If you are living in 24/7 hell, something is very very wrong.  And if Rabbi Mizrachi thinks that is appropriate, you need a new rabbi and he is dead wrong.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 09:20:47 PM »
If you are living in 24/7 hell, something is very very wrong.  And if Rabbi Mizrachi thinks that is appropriate, you need a new rabbi and he is dead wrong.

I don't waste Rabbis' time with my life story. Actually, I have no clue why I say things about myself here, but as a general rule I get as much information out of people without saying anything about myself, or just give them little details to get a reaction out of them.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:21:07 PM by LKZ »

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 10:08:03 PM »
how old are you?
if you're young, be patient.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774