Author Topic: The Paradox of Causality and Choice : Philosophy of the Matrix  (Read 414 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
The Paradox of Causality and Choice : Philosophy of the Matrix
« on: September 19, 2014, 04:35:19 AM »
The Matrix is an intellectual and philisophical metaphor for life. Addressing questions and ideas which reach deep into religious concepts such as 'what is the soul?' and 'do we truly have free will?'. I find it intriguing considering this weeks Torah portion contains the phrase 'I place before you a blessing and a curse, life and death, choose life...'. Thus the concept of Free Will is expressed in clear terms. But the matrix views angels and dark forces as sub-programs in the matrix, and the question of free will is a bit more complex. The pseudo-religious messianic overtones are glaring, the Neo is 'The One' who can bring down the machines and restore 'Zion'.

I don't know the political or other stances of the writers and directors. I just think the concept was very interesting.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 04:48:48 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: The Paradox of Causality and Choice : Philosophy of the Matrix
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 04:55:39 AM »
I hope this is good, I generally don't care much about modern philosophy, nor ancient philosophy either.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14