Author Topic: Government Demands Pastors Turn over Sermons about Gay "Hate Speech"  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
The Bible is officially illegal now. And in Texas! G-d help us all.

City of Houston Demands Pastors Turn over Sermons

The city of Houston has issued subpoenas demanding a group of pastors turn over any sermons dealing with homosexuality, gender identity or Annise Parker, the city’s first openly lesbian mayor. And those ministers who fail to comply could be held in contempt of court.

http://townhall.com/columnists/toddstarnes/2014/10/14/city-of-houston-demands-pastors-turn-over-sermons-n1905119

Houston demands oversight of sermons

Campaign against pastors called 'Big Brother overlords' on a 'witch hunt'

Officials with the city of Houston, Texas, who are defending a controversial ordinance that would allow men to use women’s restrooms now have demanded to see the sermons preached by several area pastors.

The recent move came in a subpoena from the city to pastors for copies of their sermons and other communications in the city’s legal defense of a “non-discrimination” measure that allows “gender-confused” people to use public restrooms designated for the opposite sex.

http://www.wnd.com/2014/10/major-u-s-city-demands-oversight-of-sermons/
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Government Demands Pastors Turn over Sermons about Gay "Hate Speech"
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 09:52:42 AM »
That is a scary story.
It is the religious leaders who can help save us.
How smart of the progressive liberals.  Call the teachings of the Bible hate speech.  The lemmings will all be behind banning 'hate speech'.
Who saw that one coming?
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 04:31:10 PM »
G-d bless the people fighting this.

Pastors to mayor: Don’t mess with Texas pulpits
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/10/15/pastors-to-mayor-dont-mess-with-texas-pulpits/

Christians across the nation are mobilizing to defend a group of Houston pastors who were ordered by the city to turn over any sermons dealing with homosexuality, gender identity issues or Houston mayor. Their message is simple – Don’t Mess with Texas Preachers.

Dave Welch, the executive director of the Texas Pastor Council, is one of the five ministers who received a subpoena. He said he will not be intimidated by Annise Parker, who is the city's first openly lesbian mayor, nor will he comply with the city’s demands.

“My answer to that is – bring it on,” he said.

Houston’s city attorney issued the subpoenas in a response to a lawsuit filed related to the Houston Equal Rights Ordinance (H.E.R.O.), the city's new non-discrimination ordinance, also known as the “Bathroom Bill.”

Ultimately, this is not about gays or lesbians or a Bathroom Bill. This is about the U.S. Constitution. This is about religious liberty.

The new law, which has yet to take effect, would (among other things) allow men who identify as women to use the restrooms of their choice – and vice versa. Opponents launched a petition drive to put the issue on the ballot.

However, the city threw out the petitions claiming there were not enough legitimate signatures. Opponents then filed a lawsuit – which led the city to issue the subpoenas.

Ironically, none of the five subpoenaed pastors are plaintiffs in the lawsuit.

JOIN TODD ON FACEBOOK FOR CULTURE WAR NEWS. CLICK HERE TO JOIN!

Welch told me pastors across the Lone Star State are mobilizing and in the very near future they plan to hold a “Don’t Mess with Texas Pulpit Sunday” event.

“We are dealing with bullies used to getting away with abuse of power,” Welch said. “We called their bluff on this.”

But City Attorney David Feldman told me that doesn’t matter. He said in an interview Tuesday that the five pastors were actively involved in leading the fight against the Bathroom Bill and launching the petition drive.

“They are not party plaintiffs but they certainly appeared before council repeatedly regarding the ordinance and the petition,” Feldman told me.

The city attorney defended the decision to issue the subpoenas.

“This petition was organized at the churches,” he said. “That’s where the organizing drive took place. That’s where rallies were held. That’s where signing parties were held.”

Russell Moore, the president of the Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission told me the city needs to mind its own business.

“The government has absolutely no reason to bully congregations who are speaking out about what they believe,” he said. “It’s none of the government’s business.”

Alliance Defending Freedom, a law firm specializing in religious cases, is representing the pastors. They accused City Hall of going on a fishing expedition.

“City council members are supposed to be public servants, not ‘Big Brother’ overlords who will tolerate no dissent or challenge,” ADF attorney Erik Stanley said. “This is designed to intimidate pastors.

Attorney Feldman denied that was the case.

“I’m just doing my job,” he said. “I don’t have any issues with these pastors. What I’m doing is defending a lawsuit that was brought against us.”

Moore said he could not believe the city had taken such drastic steps.

“It didn’t sound like something that would happen in America,” he told me. “It is shocking in its audacity and it is buffoonish in its strategy. I can’t imagine who in City Hall thought this was a good idea.”

And that brings us back to Attorney Feldman – who dutifully took full responsibility and said the mayor had absolutely nothing to do with the subpoenas. He said she was never informed.

So at what point was Mayor Parker informed that her administration had declared war on the fine Christian pastors of the nation’s fourth largest city?

“When you guys broke the story,” he said.

I’m not sure what’s harder to believe – that the mayor wasn’t involved or that she reads my column.

Moore called the Houston incident a case of “legal bullying” and addressed it in a recent blog posting:

“The separation of church and state means that we will render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s, and we will. But the preaching of the church of God does not belong to Caesar, and we will not hand it over to him. Not now. Not ever.”

Ultimately, this is not about gays or lesbians or a Bathroom Bill. This is about the U.S. Constitution. This is about religious liberty.

This is about a group of pastors refusing to comply with the demands of the government. And they do so at the risk of being held in contempt of court.

Heaven forbid that happens. But if it does, I for one will gladly fly to Houston with a toothbrush in hand and join these brave men of God – behind bars.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 04:53:22 PM »
What about the "sermons" of Jeremiah Wrong and Al Sharpton? Or does hate speech while black not count?

Also, what about the sermons of all real imams?

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 05:58:07 PM »
What about the "sermons" of Jeremiah Wrong and Al Sharpton? Or does hate speech while black not count?

Also, what about the sermons of all real imams?
As I was reading the above articles, I thought the same thing. 

Of course, the answer to your question "Does hate speech while black not count?" is a definite "Yes."

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 06:31:13 PM »
That's some modern day Hitler stuff right there!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 09:35:55 AM »
What does JTF think of Lesbians telling pastors what to preach?  The shameful mayor is trying to substitute her wisdom over the word of God.  Do people really think there isn't severe punishment coming to gays.    The bible gives strong warnings to those who tamper with God's truth.   "From among yourselves men will arise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away God's (followers)  after themselves."  Acts 20:30  Sermons are biblical and moral....not political or theologial....the mayor and the government have no jurisdiction over God's word or trying to shut down free speech...the 1st Amendment.  1John 3:10   True faith is what empowers us to speak God's Word  and Live it .....before an unbelieving world.   Sin is at the very heart of all that is against Almighty God;  it is bowing the knee to worldy living, serving Selfish desires,  so that the things that we used to call sin.....no longer seem to be sin to us.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 12:02:13 PM »
Now even the Catholic Church is going against its own religion. What kind of religion allows their leader to change the laws of their religion?

In Israel, even Rabbinical laws can't be overturned by a single rabbi. Only the Sanhedrin can make changes to Rabbinical laws. Biblical laws can't be changed.

I guess in Catholicism, the Pope is allowed to make up or invent laws when it suits his agenda.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 01:06:06 PM »
Now even the Catholic Church is going against its own religion. What kind of religion allows their leader to change the laws of their religion?

In Israel, even Rabbinical laws can't be overturned by a single rabbi. Only the Sanhedrin can make changes to Rabbinical laws. Biblical laws can't be changed.

I guess in Catholicism, the Pope is allowed to make up or invent laws when it suits his agenda.
Why do you care?
And what does the Pope have to do with this thread?
And why has the favorite past time of JTF become attacks on people having religious beliefs?
Judaism VS. Christianity.  Judaism vs. Judaism...
Aren't their larger concerns in the world right now?
I can think of quite a few.  Oh...such as... Government Demands Pastor Turn Over Sermons About Gay 'Hate Speech'.  (Which isn't hate speech at all!)
That is why so many people have stopped posting here.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 05:22:03 PM »
The two merits that the Catholic Church had (anti-abortion and anti-homosexuality) are quickly disappearing. Pretty soon it will end up like the Anglican Church and the Main Line Protestants. The reason it is relevant to JTF is that the Catholic Church will use its new Liberal agenda to get people to accept immorality much the same way Obama has been doing.

Even other Christians have attacked the Pope on these types of things. It's not just Jews on JTF doing it. Many of the things written against the Catholic Church on this forum is written by their fellow Christians.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 07:16:35 PM »

Yes the Pope is G-ds word here on Earth for members of the RCC... Right or wrong that how it's been for the past 2000 years... I don't think the church is changing it's underlying doctrine on homosexuality and other issues however it is trying to be less vocal about the issues and letting individual members of the congregation find their own comfort level on issues like this... What good is a church that has declining membership...The RCC is a church that adapts with the times... The pope is able to make decisions that move with the times... The RCC spends millions and millions of dollars  for charitable work each year helping the   sick and poor... In my opinion this is G-ds work here on Earth.... If the popes liberal agenda allows this work to continue all the better.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 09:31:48 AM »
I thought that was Gad's job to watch over us not the government.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 10:18:37 AM »
I thought that was Gad's job to watch over us not the government.
Apparently they are overriding him in Houston.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 10:49:30 AM »
Apparently they are overriding him in Houston.

that's right. I forgot, he's obsolete.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774