Author Topic: R.David bar Chayim's wife passes away  (Read 18256 times)

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
R.David bar Chayim's wife passes away
« on: November 06, 2014, 08:45:15 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/daniel.pinner.1?fref=tl_fr_box&pnref=lhc.friends
"Machon Shilo's Rabbi David Bar-Hayim's wife continues to be in critical condition and is unconscious. It is not clear what caused this to happen.

The rabbi appreciates everyone's prayers.

Please daven for Sharon Bat Yitzchak Michael VeChana. The Rav recommends saying Tehillim (Psalms) 41, 88, and 130.
"
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:45:00 PM by Yerusha »

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: R.David bar Chayim's wife needs tefillos
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 09:07:38 PM »
It was said that it was possibly food poisoning.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 09:23:36 PM »
It was said that it was possibly food poisoning.

Huh?  How could "food poisoning" cause that?   Do you mean actual poison?  Like attempted murder?

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 07:01:48 PM »
Unfortunately R.Bar Chayim's wife was niftar on Shabbos

http://machonshilo.org/en/eng/component/content/article/34-featured/793-baruch-dayan-haemeth-rabbanit-sharon-bar-hayim-ztzql-was-niftereth

With the pro-Kahanist R.Bar Hayim hors de combat for the duration at this critical moment when the zechussim of his Torah are badly needed, this is a major loss

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/bde/393
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:46:12 PM by Yerusha »

• Gold Star JTF Member
Re: R.David bar Chayim's wife passes away
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 10:22:03 PM »
How sad.  I feel for the Rabbi.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 12:40:41 AM »
How sad.  I feel for the Rabbi.

Same here. I don't know what to tell him.
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 04:09:37 AM »
Same here. I don't know what to tell him.

Hashem tortures those he loves.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 02:56:52 PM »
R.Glick is taken out of action just as he was starting to make waves on the Har Habayis.

R Bar Hayim is out of action just as he was about to film tonight an important clip giving the Kahanist Halacha permitting ascent to parts of the Har Habayis.

Is this a hint from Heaven not to force the Har Habayis issue at this time, as the Vilna Gaon warns in Kol HaTor on the verse:
"I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem, By the gazelles or by the hinds of the field, That you do not arouse or awaken my love until she pleases." (Shir Hashirim 2:7)?!

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 03:30:44 PM »
We don't go by "hints from heaven" we go by halacha

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 05:11:54 PM »
R.Glick is taken out of action just as he was starting to make waves on the Har Habayis.

R Bar Hayim is out of action just as he was about to film tonight an important clip giving the Kahanist Halacha permitting ascent to parts of the Har Habayis.

Is this a hint from Heaven not to force the Har Habayis issue at this time, as the Vilna Gaon warns in Kol HaTor on the verse:
"I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem, By the gazelles or by the hinds of the field, That you do not arouse or awaken my love until she pleases." (Shir Hashirim 2:7)?!

Wow, you need medication.

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 05:51:36 PM »
Let's all say a prayer for his family

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 10:57:17 PM »
Blessed is the True Judge... (Baruch Dayan HaEmet)!

I cannot believe the lashon hara which is spoken even in a thread like this.

I don't know why someone can't say something we don't agree with (so long as it is not completely wicked) and we let it go without speaking harshly about the other. Sometimes Yerusha says things I don't agree with but that doesn't make me lash out at him and say things which are derogatory.

I hope that the Rabbi has good friends at the Shiva who can comfort him.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 02:41:55 PM »
The fact that R.Bar Hayim was able to deliver his wife's hesped is a sure sign that he will bounce back and remarry and that modern Kahanism will not be denied its most learned posek

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 06:45:22 PM »
Blessed is the True Judge... (Baruch Dayan HaEmet)!

I cannot believe the lashon hara which is spoken even in a thread like this.

I don't know why someone can't say something we don't agree with (so long as it is not completely wicked) and we let it go without speaking harshly about the other. Sometimes Yerusha says things I don't agree with but that doesn't make me lash out at him and say things which are derogatory.

I hope that the Rabbi has good friends at the Shiva who can comfort him.

I guess it never crossed your mind that it's possible people are hurt by the offensive things he says. And they should not be said.  I guess you also don't consider the damage it does to the forum when someone spouts nutty things and if no one says anything it gives the appearance that we all agree, and are therefore also nutty.  But thanks for hitting my knuckles with the ruler anyway.

Not everything is a shita.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 01:34:04 PM »
he will bounce back and remarry

Remarry? His wife just died days ago.

Baruch Dayan HaEmet. This is absolutely terrible news, I feel for the rabbi as well.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 01:47:13 PM by IsraeliHeart »

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 06:40:10 PM »
I guess it never crossed your mind that it's possible people are hurt by the offensive things he says. And they should not be said.  I guess you also don't consider the damage it does to the forum when someone spouts nutty things and if no one says anything it gives the appearance that we all agree, and are therefore also nutty.  But thanks for hitting my knuckles with the ruler anyway.

Not everything is a shita.

Ramban's Letter to His Son

Let your words be spoken gently; let your head be bowed. Cast your eyes downward, and your heart heavenward; and when speaking, do not stare at your listener. Let all men seem greater than you in your eyes: If another is more wise or wealthier than yourself, you must show him respect. And if he is poor, and you are richer or wiser than he, consider that he may be more righteous than yourself: If he sins it is the result of error, while your transgression is deliberate.

In all your words, actions and thoughts - at all times - imagine in your heart that you are standing in the presence of the Holy One*, Blessed is He*, and that His* Presence rests upon you. Indeed, the glory of the Almighty* fills the universe.

Speak with reverence and awe, like a servant who stands in the presence of his master. Act with restraint in the company of others: If one should call out to you, do not answer with a loud voice, but respond gently - in low tones, as one who stands before his mentor.

Take care to always study Torah diligently so that you will be able to fulfill its commands. When you rise from study, ponder carefully what you have learned; see what there is in it which you can put into practice.

Review your actions every morning and evening, and in this way live all your days in repentance.

Cast external matters from your mind when you stand to pray; carefully prepare your heart in the presence of the Holy One*. Purify your thoughts, and ponder your words before you utter them.

Conduct yourself in these ways in all your endeavors for as long as you live. In this way you will surely avoid transgression; your words, actions and thoughts will be flawless. Your prayer will be pure and clear, sincere and pleasing to G-D*, Blessed is He*.

Read this letter once a week and neglect none of it. Fulfill it, and in so doing, walk with it forever in the ways of the Almighty*, may He* be Blessed, so that you may succeed in your ways and merit the World to Come that lies hidden for the righteous.

Every day that you shall read this letter, heaven shall answer your heart's desires.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 06:48:24 PM »
We learned in last weeks parsha that our father Abraham, after the passing of his beloved wife Sarah, remarried with her maidservant Hagar (who was renamed Keturah) after he had buried and eulogized her.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 07:06:56 PM »
We learned in last weeks parsha that our father Abraham, after the passing of his beloved wife Sarah, remarried with her maidservant Hagar (who was renamed Keturah) after he had buried and eulogized her.

Not everyone agrees to that. it says Keturah and not Hagar. Not everyone agrees it is Hagar. I personally do not as well.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 07:59:36 PM »
Not everyone agrees to that. it says Keturah and not Hagar. Not everyone agrees it is Hagar. I personally do not as well.

Could you provide some sources. It is pretty much universally accepted that this is the case... Rashi himself brings that Keturah is indeed Hagar:

1. And Abraham took another wife and her name was Keturah.

Keturah: (Gen. Rabbah 61:4) This is Hagar. She was called Keturah because her deeds were as beautiful as incense (קְטֹרֶת), and because she tied (קָטְרָה, the Aramaic for“tied”) her opening, for she was not intimate with any man from the day she separated from Abraham.

It is clear that Ishmael did participate in the burial of Abraham...

Chayei Sarah 25:8-9

8. And Abraham expired and died in a good old age, old and satisfied, and he was gathered to his people.
9. And Isaac and Ishmael his sons buried him in the Cave of Machpelah in the field of Ephron the son of Zohar the Hittite, which faces Mamre,

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 08:01:19 PM »
The original source of this is Medrash Rabba...

http://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/2636/jewish/The-Return-of-Hagar.htm

And Abraham again took a wife, and her name was Keturah

Genesis 25:1

Keturah is Hagar. Why is she called Keturah? For her deeds were [now] as pleasing as the ketoret.

Midrash Rabbah on verse

Hagar was the Egyptian maidservant of Abraham's first wife, Sarah. When Sarah had failed to conceive a child after many years of marriage, she implored Abraham to have a child with Hagar. Hagar did give Abraham a child, Ishmael, who turned out "a wild man, whose hand is against everyone and everyone's hand is against him" (Genesis 16:12). Sarah then demanded of Abraham that he banish Hagar and Ishmael from their home. When Abraham hesitated, G-d instructed him, "whatever Sarah tells you to do, hearken to her voice." Hagar drifted back to the paganism of her homeland, and found an Egyptian wife for Ishmael.

Years later, however, we find Ishmael back in the Abrahamic fold, accompanying Abraham and Isaac to the akeidah. And then, three years after Sarah's death, Abraham remarries Hagar. The reconciliation is now complete--indeed it is Sarah's son, Isaac, who brings Hagar back for her marriage with his father (as per Midrash Rabbah on Genesis 24:62).

"Everything that happened to the Patriarchs," say our sages, "is a signpost for their children. This is why the Torah elaborates on... the events of their lives... for they all come to instruct the future" (Nachmanides on Genesis 12:6). The same is true regarding the shifts in Abraham's relationship with his "barbarous" wife and son: his expulsion of Hagar and Ishmael and their subsequent readmission into his family represent the different stages in our history of dealing with the "Hagars" and "Ishmaels" in our lives--the raw and unruly elements in our nature, society and environment.

See also:

http://www.jewishpath.com/gematria/bereishis/and_again_avraham_took.html

http://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/760986/jewish/Hagar-Transformed.htm

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 08:16:04 PM »
Could you provide some sources. It is pretty much universally accepted that this is the case... Rashi himself brings that Keturah is indeed Hagar:

1. And Abraham took another wife and her name was Keturah.

Keturah: (Gen. Rabbah 61:4) This is Hagar. She was called Keturah because her deeds were as beautiful as incense (קְטֹרֶת), and because she tied (קָטְרָה, the Aramaic for“tied”) her opening, for she was not intimate with any man from the day she separated from Abraham.

It is clear that Ishmael did participate in the burial of Abraham...

Chayei Sarah 25:8-9

8. And Abraham expired and died in a good old age, old and satisfied, and he was gathered to his people.
9. And Isaac and Ishmael his sons buried him in the Cave of Machpelah in the field of Ephron the son of Zohar the Hittite, which faces Mamre,

No it isn't universal. Tag pointed out that fact.  Disbelieve him all you want and ask for sources all you want, there's no harm in that.  But why do you assume that because you saw Rashi, you've therefore seen it all?

When you make a claim that something is UNIVERSALLY held while someone else is saying it isn't, the burden of proof is on You to provide every source proving it's a universal belief.  Saying it is in a midrash and rashi quoted that midrash, does not come anywhere near your broad claim.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 08:19:07 PM »

The contrary view (that Keturah was someone other than Hagar) is advocated by Abraham ibn Ezra,[11] Radak, Rashbam, and Ramban. The Second Temple Book of Jubilees (19:11) makes it clear that Keturah is not Hagar and explains that Hagar died a few years previously.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 08:20:54 PM »
Ramban's Letter to His Son

Your point being what?  Please spell it out.  Please directly address the points I made.

Plastering the forum with long articles as demonstrations of piety, is not a means of articulating an argument.  Especially when the source you post, as in this case, covers a wide range of topics and it is unclear how it is even related to the ongoing discussion.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 08:23:09 PM »
And before you even begin, don't bother making an argument that it's ok for one person to say hurtful things but it's not ok for someone else to respond in kind.  We're not going to just sit back and let such people rampage the forum.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »
Who is Ketura?

We know something about Abraham's two previous wives. Sarah was his cousin while Hagar was of Egyptian origin. About Ketura, however, the text is silent and gives no explanation[1], leaving it to the commentators to express their opinion.

Rabbi Judah says in the Midrash (Bereshit Rabba 61, 4): "She is Hagar". This is the opinion of the Zohar as well (133b) and of Targum Jonathan. As we saw above, Rashi agrees with them.[2] However, the commentators who explained the text in its literal sense (peshat) did not accept this. Rashbam states in short: "According to the peshat, this is not Hagar", without providing any explanation of his opposition. The difficulty might be as formulated by Rabbi Nehemia in the Midrash (ibid.): "Behold, the text reads va-yosef, literally 'he added'. [Gen. 25:1 reads: Abraham took another wife, whose name was Keturah. The Hebrew actually says "He added on another wife".] If Hagar were identical with Ketura and Hagar was already his wife, there would have been no need to say about her that 'he added' her to his wives.

Ibn Ezra raises another difficulty: "Ketura is not Hagar, because it is written: "But to Abraham's sons by concubines" (25:6). In other words, the text is not talking about one concubine but about two, at the least. So we must understand that Ketura was added to Hagar. For Rashi this does not constitute a problem, because in verse 6 he wrote: " 'and for the sons of the concubine' [pilagshim is written defectively, without the second yod]- defective spelling, as there was only one concubine, who is Hagar who is Ketura".[3] But in the Massoretic Text of the Bible as we have it today the word is actually written pilagshim, with plene spelling which indicates the plural.[4]

If Ketura is not Hagar, as many of the commentators maintain, we would like to offer a possible identification. G-d's last promise to Abraham in His first revelation was: "And all the families of the earth shall bless themselves by you" (12:3), and apparently this was the most important promise. What is its significance? Does venivrekhu really mean 'bless', as understood by some commentators (Rashi, Ibn Ezra, Radak)? According to Rashbam (on the parallel verse, 28:14) the meaning that comes to mind is 'to graft' a branch, and the connotation is 'to bless by combining', in other words the families of the earth will intermingle with your family.[5]

If we accept this second meaning, we find it to be the exact opposite of he commandment of G-d to Abraham to "Go forth from your native land and from your father's house" (12:1). That commandment pointed Abraham in the direction of separation and withdrawal from other men, while this blessing points to renewed connection. Hence the entire experience of severance from his society and from his father's house had only one purpose - to make it possible for Abraham to crystallize and shape his personality.[6]

If indeed Abraham was destined to once again maintain contact with all the peoples of the world, we can now consider the possibility that Abraham's three wives - Sarah, Hagar and Ketura - represent his connection with the three families of the earth, for it was through the three sons of Noah-- Shem, Ham, and Japheth-- that humanity was again established after the flood.

And we indeed found the following words in the midrash anthology Yalkut Shimoni for Job (903): "Abraham married three women: Sarah, the daughter of Shem; Ketura, the daughter of Japheth; Hagar, the daughter of Ham". And in fact he married them in the order in which the "fathers" appear in the Bible (6:9) - first the daughter of Shem, then the daughter of Ham, and finally the daughter of Japheth.

By marrying these three women, the blessing that G-d bestowed upon Abraham, that "all the families of the earth shall bless themselves by you", was fulfilled, and similarly when he produced offspring from these three women, the blessing that he would be "the father of a multitude of nations" was also fulfilled.

http://www.biu.ac.il/JH/Parasha/eng/chaye/sha.html