Author Topic: What is a confirmation?  (Read 2164 times)

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
What is a confirmation?
« on: November 24, 2014, 07:37:40 AM »
Many years ago a non-religious relative sent me an invitation to a confirmation at either a reform or conservative temple.
I would not have attended anyway because I do not enter such places,however I sent a nasty letter saying that is disgusting that they are aping the Christians & no such a thing as confirmation exists in Judaism.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: What is a confirmation?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 09:02:49 AM »
Catholic barmitzvah.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 09:49:53 AM »
Catholic barmitzvah.
I have no Catholic family members this was in a reform or conservative temple & on shavuos.

Offline Aluf Abir

• Full JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 01:24:58 PM »
It's only in the Deformed movement so it doesn't count.  It's another excuse to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars at the catering hall to impress everyone.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 01:35:47 PM »
It's only in the Deformed movement so it doesn't count.  It's another excuse to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars at the catering hall to impress everyone.
Gotcha.
I never heard of such a thing before then.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 07:28:59 PM »
Contrary to what someone suggested, what I have experienced is that it is a group event for a whole class, not an individual thing like a bar mitzvah, and there was no catering involved.  Reform Judaism would otherwise "end" (not even kidding) at age 13, and confirmation is just a continuation of Hebrew school claases a few more years into high school instead.  At the end is a ceremony celebrating completion of the course.  Obviously, naming it "confirmation" is obscene. 

I think there's a real emotional connection and sense of commitment there - the participants just don't know what Judaism is.  Sadly, for many it does mark a graduation of sorts - graduation from religious practice.

Offline Aluf Abir

• Full JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 08:31:40 PM »
I once attended a Reform Temple where the Rabbi was a Catholic priest.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 11:32:20 PM »
Contrary to what someone suggested, what I have experienced is that it is a group event for a whole class, not an individual thing like a bar mitzvah, and there was no catering involved.  Reform Judaism would otherwise "end" (not even kidding) at age 13, and confirmation is just a continuation of Hebrew school claases a few more years into high school instead.  At the end is a ceremony celebrating completion of the course.  Obviously, naming it "confirmation" is obscene. 

I think there's a real emotional connection and sense of commitment there - the participants just don't know what Judaism is.  Sadly, for many it does mark a graduation of sorts - graduation from religious practice.
Invitations were indeed sent whether there was a catered event or not I have no idea because I would not have attended anyway.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 11:33:34 PM »
I once attended a Reform Temple where the Rabbi was a Catholic priest.
I find that hard to believe although it is possible for a Goy to be a reform "rabbi" so nothing shocks me nowadays.