Author Topic: Did SNL air a 'War on Chrismas' skit?  (Read 2977 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Did SNL air a 'War on Chrismas' skit?
« on: December 25, 2014, 02:37:35 PM »
I saw this clip on youtube last night and it occurred to me that some might consider it 'irreverant' or 'mocking' of the XMas custom of Santa Klaus. I recently read that it seemed like the 'war on xmas' was being won as most people polled seemed to accept the conventional beliefs concerning this holiday. Then I see this and wonder.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Did SNL air a 'War on Chrismas' skit?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 09:37:10 PM »
I went to a kosher restaurant tonight and I got a can of Coca Cola. As usual this time of year, they had the Santa Claus picture on it. After all, they invented the modern version of Santa Claus. But it looked like he may have been black.

Yeah, Santa was black. UMM HMM!

Are they going to call him Kwanzaa Claus now?

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 09:46:08 PM »
The Dutch Santa Claus doesn't have elves. He has a black slave who wears black face. The original Santa Claus of Germanic mythology was a terrifying figure which is why kids are warned to "better not pout". The terrifying aspects of him were transferred to his black slave. They also are from Spain, not the North Pole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 09:46:28 PM »
I went to a kosher restaurant tonight and I got a can of Coca Cola. As usual this time of year, they had the Santa Claus picture on it. After all, they invented the modern version of Santa Claus. But it looked like he may have been black.

I drink Coke all the time and never saw a black santa.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 09:47:26 PM »
I drink Coke all the time and never saw a black santa.

Maybe he just looks a little dark. That's why I wasn't sure if it was black or not.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 02:41:41 AM »

Why not?
When I used to visit my grandparents in the Rockaways on the way was a KFC in part of the neighborhood that was turning black they had tinted Col. Sanders to look black.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 08:40:29 AM »
I saw this clip on youtube last night and it occurred to me that some might consider it 'irreverant' or 'mocking' of the XMas custom of Santa Klaus. I recently read that it seemed like the 'war on xmas' was being won as most people polled seemed to accept the conventional beliefs concerning this holiday. Then I see this and wonder.

If I were black it might be offensive.  Sump'n Claus being black and having 'lady of the evening' elves.
Promoting bad behavior.
It is a sad comment on what we have become as a society, not Santa Claus.
It's truthful.  Bad behavior is rewarded.
In all honesty...that skit is the funniest that I have seen from SNL in a thousand years.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 02:05:10 PM »
This is for you Muman.  ;D  Hope you like it!
Doggie Claws

P.S.  In case you don't know, the dog is riding a robotic vacuum cleaner:::D  :::D

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 02:44:42 PM »
Shalom BC3,

I did not find anything offensive about the doggie Santa Claus actually. I thought it was cute. And I know about those vacuum cleaners. Back in the 90s my ex-wife worked for a major defense company who helped develop some of the electronics in those robotic vacuum cleaners.

SNL has gone downhill actually. I saw a skit on Best Buy and I could not watch the entire skit it was so bad.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 05:00:06 PM »
Doggie Claws

P.S.  In case you don't know, the dog is riding a robotic vacuum cleaner:::D  :::D

Stupid inferior technology roomba.

The Dutch Santa Claus doesn't have elves. He has a black slave who wears black face. The original Santa Claus of Germanic mythology was a terrifying figure which is why kids are warned to "better not pout". The terrifying aspects of him were transferred to his black slave. They also are from Spain, not the North Pole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet

It was Th*r. The hammer turned into a bad of presents, and he still flies around in the sky on the same day in the made up story. It helped to bring the barbarian tribes in northern Europe into the church.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 05:35:41 PM »
Doggie Claws

The dog reminds me of the Mexicans that come to cut the neighbors lawn  :::D
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 05:45:31 PM »

Is that where all the envelopes with 20's and 50's have been coming from all along  :o :o
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 06:05:26 PM »
Is that where all the envelopes with 20's and 50's have been coming from all along  :o :o
:::D :::D Who knew?

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 07:32:37 PM »
Give me a break!  I like Grandma got run over by a reindeer more!