Author Topic: The invisible kippa  (Read 3396 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
The invisible kippa
« on: January 23, 2015, 12:16:26 PM »
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
Re: The invisible kippa
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 06:28:51 PM »
I wouldn't accuse the Jews of being cowards or wimps.  But I do think that they should carry guns (even on Shabbos, where I think an exception can be made when it comes to saving our life).  Either way, the fact that it's come down to this in Europe -- ONCE AGAIN! -- is beyond the pale.  The very sad irony here is that the muslims can practice their religion but the Jews can't?!?!  How sick, crazy and insane a proposition is this?  If the Jews in France ever needed a sign to tell them that it's time to pack up and move to Israel, then the need for an invisible kippa is all the signage they should need.

NEVER AGAIN!

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 06:30:29 PM »
http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2015/01/22/magic-yarmulke-aims-to-protect-european-jews-from-attacks

what a cowardly thing to do.  Makes Jews look like frightened wimps!
Does something like the thing shown in the news article even suffice as a kippa? In my opinion it's almost better to carry a real yarmulke in a pocket and put it on as often as possible when out of harms way.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 09:42:04 PM »
It misses the point for sure. Better not wear one then putting on that idiotic hair peace.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 09:56:37 PM »
If it doesn't count as a kippa, then I guess religious women shouldn't wear wigs as a hair covering either.

Why not just wear a hat if you want to cover your head in public? I mean baseball hats are good and you can put a kippa underneath. Obviously I'm not talking about black hats. The black hat Jews wouldn't disguise themselves anyway.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 10:46:39 PM »
That's a clever barber with good business savvy, I'll give him that!

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 12:09:11 PM »
The reasons for kippah are different from that of women's hair cover. Kippah is a sign of piety and it is meant to be seen so to designate its wearer as Torah Observant. Women's hair cover is about modesty. I believe neither one of these are actually mitzvas not even derabznan, they are more like traditions.

If it doesn't count as a kippa, then I guess religious women shouldn't wear wigs as a hair covering either.

Why not just wear a hat if you want to cover your head in public? I mean baseball hats are good and you can put a kippa underneath. Obviously I'm not talking about black hats. The black hat Jews wouldn't disguise themselves anyway.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 12:27:55 PM »
The reasons for kippah are different from that of women's hair cover. Kippah is a sign of piety and it is meant to be seen so to designate its wearer as Torah Observant. Women's hair cover is about modesty. I believe neither one of these are actually mitzvas not even derabznan, they are more like traditions.

The married woman's hair covering is considered derabanan as a custom of the Jewish woman which has halachic status.   The kippa I don't think is even derabanan, but common for men to do it.   According to some poskim when indoors, the building ceiling/roof counts as a head covering.  But that would imply to me that men should wear something outdoors at least.   But I'm not sure how it got halachic status, if it has any.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 12:29:04 PM »
The married woman's hair covering is considered derabanan as a custom of the Jewish woman which has halachic status.   The kippa I don't think is even derabanan, but common for men to do it.   According to some poskim when indoors, the building ceiling/roof counts as a head covering.  But that would imply to me that men should wear something outdoors at least.   But I'm not sure how it got halachic status, if it has any.

Minhag (almost) Olam.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 07:26:31 PM »
doesn't look like a kippah.

why not cover it with a baseball cap?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 07:51:40 PM »
doesn't look like a kippah.

why not cover it with a baseball cap?

Jews in France have been doing that for some time already.

One can, 1 thing though- wearing a hat for too long can make one become bold much quicker. Hair needs to breath some time. Even taking the Kippa off such as at night (when sleeping) is good for the hair.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 08:54:41 PM »

The indoors thing seems goyish to me. They actually think it's more respectful to remove a hat indoors.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 10:24:05 PM »

The indoors thing seems goyish to me. They actually think it's more respectful to remove a hat indoors.

You should not call the greatest poskim "goyish."  That's a disgrace.   It's embarrassing that you said something like that.   

As for the psak in question, No one ever said "take off the kippa when you get indoors" or "lack of head covering is respectful."   They said that you don't need to wear it because the ceiling qualifies as a head covering when you are indoors.  How did you connect to completely unrelated things?   Shall I say it's "goyish" to misunderstand Jewish law?
The psak is certainly not telling someone who wears a kippa to stop doing so indoors.  That is not the point.   The point is, halachically, do I need one on my head at all times or not?    What if I don't have one right now?   Ceiling qualifies.   Period.

As for your claim about gentiles, we don't live in the 1950's anymore.  When's the last time you saw a gentile habitually wear a hat outside in all his travels and then promptly remove it after stepping in doors out of "respect?"  LOL maybe in a Carey Grant film.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 10:53:42 PM »
There is not mitzvah to wear a head covering. It's a mitzvah to do so when praying or saying a bracha. I just said it seems goyish that if you are already wearing a head covering to davka take it off when inside.

Do you think the roof of a synagogue counts? When you go inside a synagogue, you have to cover your head if you don't always do so.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 01:14:19 AM »
There is not mitzvah to wear a head covering.
we covered this point already.

It's a mitzvah to do so when praying or saying a bracha.
mitzvah?   Or you mean requirement.

I just said it seems goyish that if you are already wearing a head covering to davka take it off when inside.

No one said to do that!

Do you think the roof of a synagogue counts? When you go inside a synagogue, you have to cover your head if you don't always do so.

I do not make the rules, and it does not matter what I think (nor you).

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 06:24:06 AM »
If a Jew should wear a kippa while praying, does it qualify for a Jew who wears tzit tzit be as if he is praying all of the time?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 06:48:20 AM »
Jews in France have been doing that for some time already.

One can, 1 thing though- wearing a hat for too long can make one become bold much quicker. Hair needs to breath some time. Even taking the Kippa off such as at night (when sleeping) is good for the hair.

Then they should wear a gun.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 07:49:11 AM »

Always back to the goys.  I don't understand how Christians even become part of your thought process on wearing a kippa.
Who cares what Christians do?
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 07:49:24 AM »

Always back to the goys.  I don't understand how Christians even become part of your thought process on wearing a kippa.
Who cares what Christians do?
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.