Author Topic: Polygamy.  (Read 33867 times)

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
Re: Polygamy.
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2007, 11:55:06 PM »
1.  Mishna beats the Gemarah.
2.  What about the story of R' Shimon Bar Yochai and his son in the cave.  They were punished by G-d for not understanding that Torah needs an occupation by G-d sending them back into the cave until they learned their lesson.  Plus what about the Talmud saying that there were those who practiced like one Rabbi who said Torah Im Derech Eretz and there were those who practiced like another Rabbi who said study all day and G-d will support you and all were successful with the first approach and few were successful with the last approach.  I am not familiar with your story, elaborate. 

Most Gedolim in 1948 were wrong on the issue of Zionism but were not evil.  Notice what I said before about what I mean by anti zionism; That  if you say that Israel should cease to exist if it means saving one Jewish life then you are evil.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 12:00:07 AM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2007, 12:04:52 AM »
another mindless ranting against the Torah and Religious Jews by Shinuy and Meritz.  ::)
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2007, 12:07:00 AM »
another mindless ranting against the Torah and Religious Jews by Shinuy and Meritz.  ::)

Who's Shinuy and Meritz?

Guess I'm wasting my time here.  I try to teach people real Torah by actually using Torah proofs in the style of the Rav and all I get is insults.  So few of my proofs have even been discussed.  I'm talking to a brick wall.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 12:14:43 AM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"

Offline chakma613

• Full JTFer
  • "Lo ta'amod al dam re'echa"
« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2007, 12:19:46 AM »
1.  Mishna beats the Gemarah.
2.  What about the story of R' Shimon Bar Yochai and his son in the cave.  They were punished by G-d for not understanding that Torah needs an occupation by G-d sending them back into the cave until they learned their lesson.  Plus what about the Talmud saying that there were those who practiced like one Rabbi who said Torah Im Derech Eretz and there were those who practiced like another Rabbi who said study all day and G-d will support you and all were successful with the first approach and few were successful with the last approach.  I am not familiar with your story, elaborate. 

Most Gedolim in 1948 were wrong on the issue of Zionism but were not evil.  Notice what I said.  I meant that  if you say that Israel should cease to exist if it means saving one Jewish life then you are evil.

The Gemara quote you are referring to is in brachos, perek keitzad mevarchin, in regards to Rashbi and one of his colleagues, I forget who exactly, but i am not advocating learning all day, however focusing on work the way some people do leads to lessening their learning. The story I brought up goes as follow: Reb Yochanan and Ilfa were studying torah together, they said to themselves that they should take on an occupation, fulfilling the verse in the Torah that says "lo yeheyeh becka evyon" among you there shall be no destitute", since they were very poor at the time. They sat beside a dilapidated wall(note: rashi says that had they known that the wall was dilapidated they would not have sat under it, since you cant put yourself in danger), anyway, they were eating bread, and two mala'achim came to them, RZ'Yochanan overheard what they were saying. One said to the other that they should kill the scholars, because they foresake life in Olam Haba for the temporary life in this world. the other angel said not to kill them, since one of them was approaching his hour of greatness. R'Yochanan overheard this conversation, and he asked Ilfa if he ddi too, Ilfa said he did not, so R'Yochanan took that to mean that he was meant to hear this, and that his hour of greatness was approaching, so R'Yochanan returned to the study of torah, he said to Ilfa that he wanted to fulfill the verse "and the poor will never cease from inside the land"..the story goes on to recount the appointmenrt of reb yochanan as the head of the yeshiva, and they said to ilfsa when he retunred that if he had been there, they would have made him(ilfsa) the head instead of R'yochanan..so Ilfa went out on a ship's mast to prove that he was greater than reb yochanan, he said that he would let himself drown if he could not deonstrate the basis of a braisa from a mishnah from the braisa edition of Oshaya and reb chiyah...then an old man quoted a braisa about what happens when a person says to the beis din that the should give a shekel a week to the trustee of his estate,  and then it says that if it is appropriate fro the to have a Sela we give them a sela, but if he said takah give them only one shekel,  we davka give them a shekel, now, if he said to the regarding the other inheritors "if they die let others inherit the remains" whether he said give them a shekel or give them davka a shekel, we we give them davka a shekl, then Ilfa says that the author of this braisa is R"Meir who says that we must fulfill the wishes of the dead.

Anyway, to say that most gedolim were wrong, is an issue we had already discussed, and I woud like to avoid arguments about that, let's just agree to disagree.
Regarding the isue I did not yet address about Bar Kochba, it IS possible for the gedolim to make mistakes, but they reversed themselves, didn't they? the gedolim have not reversed themselves for the ost part about the issue of secular zionism
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? if I am for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when? - Hillel, Pirkei Avos

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2007, 12:30:07 AM »
The Gedolim reversing the decree or not reversing it is irrelevant to the point that the Gedolim may make mistakes.  I don't understand why you keep bringing up irrelevant information.  As for the story you brought up in the Talmud (thank you for the effort of writing the story for me as I was unfamiliar), this requires further study since either the Rabbis seem to disagree on this issue (which we already know that they do but the Halacha is Torah Im Derech Eretz as the Mishna states and the Talmud implies) or we are not understanding the story properly, perhaps the one who went out to work to make a living was working too hard and neglecting his study slightly which is considered a sin for a man on his level. 

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2007, 12:53:28 AM »
Chakma, if you sin against g-d he forgives, if you sin against another man, you must get forgiveness from that person before g-d forgives you.

;D You should only listin to your own words.  ::) , didnt Chaim tell you like 2 weeks ago to stop with your rantings?
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2007, 01:06:52 AM »
The issue with Bar Kochba and the majority of Gedolim being wronge-

its Mentioned in Rav Kahane's Ore Haryon (dont have it in front of me right now) (and other places) One of the chapters starts off as "bar Kochba or Bar Kuzivz" - and its basically explained that Bar Kochba was a potential Messiah. At the time the Rabbis werent wronge about Bar Kochba, but becuase of the mistakes that he and the people had done, he didnt finish being the Messiah and died. - until he became arrogant and until the Jews were united and didnt fight amoung themselves the Rabbis backed him, but then he became arrogant saying that G-d shouldnt help him or go against him, also then wrongfully accusing the saintly Rab Eliezer of treason and killing him by kicking him. Also the infighting of the Jews expecially the sin of LASHIN HARA and BASELESS HATRED made the Hachamim decide that the war will now be lost and they had to perserve the tradition.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 01:10:13 AM by Tzvi Ben Roshel »

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2007, 03:45:57 AM »

Who's Shinuy and Meritz?

Guess I'm wasting my time here.  I try to teach people real Torah by actually using Torah proofs in the style of the Rav and all I get is insults.  So few of my proofs have even been discussed.  I'm talking to a brick wall.

JDL4EVER, I know how you feel. Sometimes you can work long and hard providing proofs and backing up what you say only for people to ignore everything. Nobody is shui or Meretz on here as they literally support Israel having Sharia law which I haven't seen any of us support. We are only pointing out the flaws of certain jews in hope they will become better.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline Dissenter

• Full JTFer
« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2007, 06:39:17 AM »
Has anybody been watching "Big Love"?

Despite the fact that it's on HBO, it's a politically incorrect examination of Mormon polygamy. It's brilliantly written - there hasn't been a single dull episode. In fact, I would go so far as to say that in some ways, it's even better than "The Sopranos".

Last year, "Big Love" gave Utah polygamy such a good name that the FBI felt compelled to put Warren Jeffs on its Top Ten Most Wanted List, just to counteract the positive publicity.

In one "Big Love" episode, the Mormon fundamentalist preacher, writing from his compound to protest the Defense of Marriage Act (as it applies to polygamy), had this to say:

"When you call me a pervert, you're calling Abraham a pervert, you're calling Moses a pervert, you're calling David a pervert and you're calling Solomon a pervert."

And what did the great Scottish poet Robert Burns say? "The wisest man who ever lived, he dearly loved the lasses, oh!"

raiseyourfist

« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2007, 06:49:23 AM »
Has anybody been watching "Big Love"?

Despite the fact that it's on HBO, it's a politically incorrect examination of Mormon polygamy. It's brilliantly written - there hasn't been a single dull episode. In fact, I would go so far as to say that in some ways, it's even better than "The Sopranos".

Last year, "Big Love" gave Utah polygamy such a good name that the FBI felt compelled to put Warren Jeffs on its Top Ten Most Wanted List, just to counteract the positive publicity.

In one "Big Love" episode, the Mormon fundamentalist preacher, writing from his compound to protest the Defense of Marriage Act (as it applies to polygamy), had this to say:

"When you call me a pervert, you're calling Abraham a pervert, you're calling Moses a pervert, you're calling David a pervert and you're calling Solomon a pervert."

And what did the great Scottish poet Robert Burns say? "The wisest man who ever lived, he dearly loved the lasses, oh!"

Nothing is better than the SOPRANOS

ITS THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH

Offline Dissenter

• Full JTFer
« Reply #135 on: August 23, 2007, 07:04:11 AM »

It was the greatest show on earth. Now it sleeps with the fishes. And the last season was just plain lazy.

Have you seen "Big Love"?

Offline chakma613

• Full JTFer
« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2007, 08:41:06 AM »
The Gedolim reversing the decree or not reversing it is irrelevant to the point that the Gedolim may make mistakes.  I don't understand why you keep bringing up irrelevant information.  As for the story you brought up in the Talmud (thank you for the effort of writing the story for me as I was unfamiliar), this requires further study since either the Rabbis seem to disagree on this issue (which we already know that they do but the Halacha is Torah Im Derech Eretz as the Mishna states and the Talmud implies) or we are not understanding the story properly, perhaps the one who went out to work to make a living was working too hard and neglecting his study slightly which is considered a sin for a man on his level. 

I find it relevant, since it shows that the gedolim don't stand by their words if they are wrong(see mishnah eduyos, perek shammai oimer, for a discussion about why a person should not stand by his words if he is proven wrong). "the halacha is torah im derech eretz" I don't know what sort of halacha classes you've been to, but they were obviously NOT including "talmud torah keneged culam", also, you quote Rav Hirsch, NOT the Mishnah. The Mishnah says "yofeh talmud torah im dereh eretz" now, we can interpret derech eretz as an occupation, or we can inerpret it as many other things, it's one of the most gratly contested things in Mishnah to this day, and you are quoating it to suit your own ends.
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? if I am for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when? - Hillel, Pirkei Avos

raiseyourfist

« Reply #137 on: August 23, 2007, 08:43:26 AM »

It was the greatest show on earth. Now it sleeps with the fishes. And the last season was just plain lazy.

If its one of those crappy my wife and kids spin off then i don't think i ever will

Offline Dissenter

• Full JTFer
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2007, 08:48:12 AM »

If its one of those crappy my wife and kids spin off then i don't think i ever will

I don't get you. What "my wife and kids spin off"?

Anyway, it's not crappy. It's great. In fact, HBO just moved it into the old "Sopranos" time slot, to take advantage of the word-of-mouth.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2007, 09:04:37 AM »
I find it relevant, since it shows that the gedolim don't stand by their words if they are wrong(see mishnah eduyos, perek shammai oimer, for a discussion about why a person should not stand by his words if he is proven wrong). "the halacha is torah im derech eretz" I don't know what sort of halacha classes you've been to, but they were obviously NOT including "talmud torah keneged culam", also, you quote Rav Hirsch, NOT the Mishnah. The Mishnah says "yofeh talmud torah im dereh eretz" now, we can interpret derech eretz as an occupation, or we can inerpret it as many other things, it's one of the most gratly contested things in Mishnah to this day, and you are quoating it to suit your own ends.

You don't make sense.  Suppose a Gadol Hador is proven wrong by let's say contradicting both the Tanakh, the Torah and the Rambam's interpretation of the Tanach and there is not a source in the ancient commentaries for what he is saying, and his actions lead to disaster, then you think that the Rabbi can not be wrong since if he was wrong, he would change positions?  This is not logical thinking, I'm sorry.  This might surprise you but many Rabbis are wrong and never admit to their mistakes in our generation.   

As far as me making up what the Mishna means, Rashi says that it means worldly occupation, and the simple reading of the Mishna means worldly occupation since if it meant learning torah it would say learning torah, plus the Rambam also reads this as worldly occupation as did every other scholar of ancient times.  This reinterpetation of the Mishna is nonsense of recent onset and has no basis in real Judaism.  I even asked my grandfather what he learned from tradition on this verse and he said that it means worldly occupation.  Some of these Rabbis try to break the chain of tradition and reinvent Judaism in their own image but it is not my problem.  I follow tradition.

raiseyourfist

« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2007, 09:15:47 AM »

Luckily in australia we only got arena where that show isn't shown

Well thats good because here in australia we only have arena to view those programs

I don't get you. What "my wife and kids spin off"?

Anyway, it's not crappy. It's great. In fact, HBO just moved it into the old "Sopranos" time slot, to take advantage of the word-of-mouth.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 09:41:49 AM by raiseyourfist »

Offline chakma613

• Full JTFer
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2007, 09:33:28 AM »

You don't make sense.  Suppose a Gadol Hador is proven wrong by let's say contradicting both the Tanakh, the Torah and the Rambam's interpretation of the Tanach and there is not a source in the ancient commentaries for what he is saying, and his actions lead to disaster, then you think that the Rabbi can not be wrong since if he was wrong, he would change positions?  This is not logical thinking, I'm sorry.  This might surprise you but many Rabbis are wrong and never admit to their mistakes in our generation.   

As far as me making up what the Mishna means, Rashi says that it means worldly occupation, and the simple reading of the Mishna means worldly occupation since if it meant learning torah it would say learning torah, plus the Rambam also reads this as worldly occupation as did every other scholar of ancient times.  This reinterpetation of the Mishna is nonsense of recent onset and has no basis in real Judaism.  I even asked my grandfather what he learned from tradition on this verse and he said that it means worldly occupation.  Some of these Rabbis try to break the chain of tradition and reinvent Judaism in their own image but it is not my problem.  I follow tradition.

I can think of no such case where a Gadol is wrong because he rules something of his own accord, and does not base his understanding on something preexistant. The other interpretations of the mishnah are nothing new, il try and find the sources to back that up. i never said it meant learning, but it could mean other things. Rashi was one rishon - there were several others

Offline Mstislav

• Master JTFer
  • islam must be eradicated & all muslims wiped out
    • The American Infidels
« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2007, 01:30:48 PM »
Lol no thanks.

I'll get on board if I can have a few husbands :laugh:.....guess I had better find one to start with :P

That's interesting. 

No man would ever 'share a woman', but women are perfectly capable (in some cases) of sharing a man.

What cases would that be?
The satanic barbaric deathcult of islam spread like a cancer throughout the world, killing and destroying everything it touches. muslims are like the hiv/aids virus, subverting the societies of non muslim lands only to allow the cancer of islam to consume and destroy. muslim, I curse and hate you, your 'prophet', 'g o d' and deathcult.   

Because the West needs to be won again and the stakes couldn't be higher . . .

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2007, 01:41:54 PM »

Who's Shinuy and Meritz?

Nobody is shui or Meretz on here as they literally support Israel having Sharia law which I haven't seen any of us support. We are only pointing out the flaws of certain jews in hope they will become better.

Stop lying. They do not support Sharia law. But all they do is trash Judaism day and night and pretty much say many of the things that are said here. They want a secular "democratic" society without Torah and religious Jews, even without Muslims. 

anyway maybe sharia law would be better then having a complete anti-religious (Jewish) government. (not opinion just idea).

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2007, 02:10:12 PM »
anyway maybe sharia law would be better then having a complete anti-religious (Jewish) government. (not opinion just idea).

What are you?  On drugs or something?!?!?

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2007, 02:12:59 PM »

What are you?  On drugs or something?!?!?
who wrote that??
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2007, 02:14:49 PM »
I didnt say for sure, but our islamic/ nazi enemies are after our bodies and the demons/secular anti-religious are after our souls. Our body is temporary, or soul is intended to be eternal- do you see the extent to the damage each enemy is able to inflict?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2007, 02:25:54 PM »
Tsvi wrote that part about Sharia being preferable to a non-religious govt.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2007, 02:34:11 PM »

I didnt say non-religious, nor did I say for sure, I said having a totally anti-religious. And comparing the effects that different enemies can have upon Jews.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2007, 02:35:05 PM »
I really am not versed in sharia but the few things i have heard lead me to believe that this is not something that non muslims can live with. Nothing and I mean nothing could ever be worse than living in a government that goes by sharia law. Its not a religious government thats needed it religious people and not muslim ones either.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years