Author Topic: google fiber auto fines  (Read 1546 times)

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: google fiber auto fines
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 02:05:20 PM »
Any real conservative should support filesharing, or at least oppose penalties on it.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 05:29:49 PM »
Any real conservative should support filesharing, or at least oppose penalties on it.

I don't think anyone is against people sharing files, so long as they properly own the material they are sharing. There is a big problem thought that people take it on themselves and think they own IP and make illegal copies and this is where the problem is. Unless you have the mentality of an ape who thinks he can walk into a market and take whatever is on the shelves without paying most people realize that online content is NOT free, people make their livelihoods through generating this media content. I support fully the laws protecting IP as I work in a field where it is very easy for people to steal from me or my company. We work to ensure that people cannot pirate the media which is played on our devices.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 06:19:39 PM »
I think that it shouldn't be illegal to make your own copy of anything nor should it be illegal to hand it over. What should be illegal is selling it without rights. You can say that it limits the "IP" owners from maximizing profit, so what? as long as the owners are the only ones able to legally make money out of it their IP has a real worth they should do fine.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 12:04:37 AM »
I think that it shouldn't be illegal to make your own copy of anything nor should it be illegal to hand it over. What should be illegal is selling it without rights. You can say that it limits the "IP" owners from maximizing profit, so what? as long as the owners are the only ones able to legally make money out of it their IP has a real worth they should do fine.

Ever since the 1980s the right to back-up copies of software has been granted to the original software purchaser. This is a right and has never been challenged by those who create the software. Legitimate back-ups are essential to ensure that the party which purchased the software can use it without worry that the original media becomes unreadable.

But I begin to question when you say you can give it to your friends. Now let me be honest here, in my youth (16-18) I used to be a big software pirate. At the time I was a big Apple II fan and developer, and me and my buddies cracked copy-protected software and gave it to our friends (traded). But now as I am older I realize that what I did may have caused a lot of publishers to go 'belly-up' because back in the 80s a lot of mom & pop game publishers popped up and then went out of business because of piracy.

Now in the age of Facebook where it is really possible to say that one person has 100s of friends online it would be a major disaster to small developers if people could give the software to their 'friends'.

PS: I cracked with a friend who was known as 'Mr Xerox' and I used the nome de guerre of 'The Axeman'
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 12:32:00 AM »
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 02:07:52 AM »
Creative art, i.e. media, is not the same as a tangible item. Let me give an example. If I say something to a friend, is it a crime for that friend to write what I said down and repeat it to all of his/her friends? Think about it. It's ridiculous. If you don't believe in filesharing, don't do it!*

*I don't.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 03:36:53 AM »
Creative art, i.e. media, is not the same as a tangible item. Let me give an example. If I say something to a friend, is it a crime for that friend to write what I said down and repeat it to all of his/her friends? Think about it. It's ridiculous. If you don't believe in filesharing, don't do it!*

*I don't.

Your analogy doesn't stack up. If you spend a good amount of time working on an episode of media which requires writing, producing, acting, etc. And it is intended to be sold, and it's income is based on the number of people watching, it is simple theft to copy it and give it to others, whether or not you make money on it.

Nothing is produced for free in the world, and suggesting that just because people are working and making money in a digital world which is not policed as diligently as physical theft is that it is somehow OK.

The entire software industry has suffered with piracy since its infancy. Copy protection schemes are usually not effective. Moral compass is something which must be taught, and people should know that theft of anything, physical or digital, is wrong.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 04:09:18 AM »
If what you say is indeed the constitutional law then I won't argue about the legality point but I still challenge the ethics. The software industry can find ways to make money out of software and related services. But copying and hacking into copies of software shouldn't be outlawed. That's like saying I sold you a house, but you can't open a window of it (you still own the entire house, I just don't allow you to use it in any way you want to because I sold it to you). So similarly just because file sharing seemingly hurts developers ability to maximize their profits doesn't mean they can utilize law enforcement to enforce their restrictions. They can opt not to develop their software or they can find alternative revenue models. And when it comes to software there certainly are ways to generate revenues.\

In my view a theft would be for example hacking into your server and stilling the information in it. When it comes to distribution "rights" in my view the right is for exclusivity for monetizing the distribution service but you cannot enforce it by preventing free distribution. That would be like the bus company enforcing a ban on hitch hiking.

Your analogy doesn't stack up. If you spend a good amount of time working on an episode of media which requires writing, producing, acting, etc. And it is intended to be sold, and it's income is based on the number of people watching, it is simple theft to copy it and give it to others, whether or not you make money on it.

Nothing is produced for free in the world, and suggesting that just because people are working and making money in a digital world which is not policed as diligently as physical theft is that it is somehow OK.

The entire software industry has suffered with piracy since its infancy. Copy protection schemes are usually not effective. Moral compass is something which must be taught, and people should know that theft of anything, physical or digital, is wrong.