Author Topic: Jonathan Sacks Calls for Jewish Surrender in Europe  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
Jonathan Sacks Calls for Jewish Surrender in Europe
« on: June 11, 2015, 06:14:56 AM »
http://observer.com/2015/06/former-chief-rabbi-of-england-calls-for-jewish-surrender-in-europe/

This week England’s Former Chief Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks gave a speech described by the media as doom and gloom at a conference in Herzliya. He admitted a belief that the BDS movement had succeeded in making the State of Israel a “divisive factor” in Jewish life and claimed that, as a result, supporting Israel was “almost impossible” for European Jews.

It was an astonishingly defeatist speech, which is troubling enough. But most disturbing was the false dichotomy he presented to European Jews. In his own troubling words he said, “Jews have been faced with a choice: live in Europe and criticize Israel or be silent, or leave Europe…” In other words, the only solutions left for Europe’s Jewish community is to embrace and succumb to BDS or get out. What he shockingly neglected to mention is the obvious third option: to stay in Europe, embrace Israel, and fight for the Jewish State.

I was personally saddened by Rabbi Sacks’ most recent remarks. In the 11 years I served as Rabbi at Oxford University I was originally his biggest public champion. His eloquence in promoting Judaism was thrilling. But as time went by and he refused to use his considerable pulpit, not to mention his extraordinary gifts, to fight for Israel and against the anti-Semites, he gradually lost me.

Under his watch the BBC, to which he had unlimited access, began to orient itself toward demonizing Israel.

In all the years Rabbi Sacks spent as Chief Rabbi all would agree that he had few equals in his mastery of language. Which made it all the more mystifying why he would not use that mastery in the war for the Jewish State. His Chief Rabbinate must be judged a failure, and not only because Anglo-Jewry continued to diminish under his watch. Rather, the phenomenal growth of anti-Semitism and attacks against Israel while he was in office, without his joining the battle, rendered his leadership obsolete.

Under his watch the BBC, to which he had unlimited access, began to orient itself toward demonizing Israel. The British Universities, where he was and remains highly respected, likewise ran roughshod over Israel. Yet, he didn’t defend Israel, neither in the media nor on campus.

I’m not sure what he was thinking. Perhaps he thought defending Israel in the media would brand him partisan, or that doing so on campus would chip away at his hard-earned academic prestige which he hoped to use to promote Jewish ideas. Maybe he thought it would all be futile, that the tide turning against Israel was not something he could stop. I cannot enter the mind of the man. But whatever the reason, it was a stunning abrogation of leadership.

By 2008, after about eighteen years at the helm of British Jewry, he himself was forced to give a speech where he admitted that Jewish students were feeling intimidated on campus. “We hope that university vice-chancellors will recognize the feeling of vulnerability that Jewish students have expressed at many university campuses,” he said.

And it was not only his passivity but active criticism of Israel that may have contributed to the hostility, like the infamous interview he gave toThe Guardian in 2002 where he said of the IDF that “there are things that happen on a daily basis which make me feel very uncomfortable as a Jew.” In the same interview he said the prolonged conflict had “generated hatreds and insensitivities that…are corrupting to a culture” — about Israel. And even now, when European Jews are deeply concerned about their safety and experiencing rejection on an international scale, he essentially tells them to give up.

Interestingly, just days before Rabbi Sacks spoke in Herzliya I was in Las Vegas speaking at a conference hosted by Dr. Sheldon and Miriam Adelson and Haim Saban. Far from admitting defeat, these modern Maccabees brought together fifty Jewish organizations in order to arrange and coordinate an effective counter-offensive to take on BDS and eventually bring it down.

The contrast between the two responses is vast. A refusal to fight for Israel stems from long-standing Jewish fears and self-doubt dating all the way back to the story captured in this week’s Torah reading, Shelach, where the spies tell Moses that they saw terrifying giants in Israel that could not be defeated. “We appeared in their eyes as if we were grasshoppers, and so we appeared in our own eyes as well.”

But the willingness to stand up for the Jewish state rises from Jewish courage and pride. The former response incites despair and acceptance of the status-quo while the latter inspires a willingness to stand and bring change.
With all due respect to Rabbi Sacks, his is an approach which must be rejected by world Jewry.

The essence of leadership is not great oratory but moral courage. Moses, the archetype of all Jewish leadership, was a stutterer. Lincoln, too, the greatest of all American presidents, had a high-pitched and raspy voice. While in writing, his speeches are considered to be some of the greatest ever delivered, when spoken they were mocked and jeered by much of the American Press, especially the Gettysburg Address. But Moses risked his life and princely standing to combat a single injustice, the beating of a slave by his master. Retaining his social position among the Egyptian aristocracy meant nothing to him. And Lincoln embraced widespread unpopularity and eventually gave up his life to bring an end to the greatest injustice in American history. What made Lincoln a leader was the moral conviction that slavery was an absolute evil that had to be defeated while the Union was an unalloyed good that had to be defended.

Winston Churchill was dismissed as a drunk and a crank by the British for sounding the alarm against Hitler. But his steadfastness in combating evil, amid being despised for it, helped save Western civilization.

One might have thought that Jonathan Sacks, having retired from his post as Chief Rabbi, would have been freed from political and communal constraints and would have embraced a more courageous stance on Israel and the Jewish People. Instead, in Herzliya he strangely succumbed to despair.

With all due respect to Rabbi Sacks, his is an approach that must be rejected by world Jewry. Of course, BDS is intimidating. That’s exactly its point. But when threatened by such morally debased foes as the proponents of BDS the last thing we can do is fall victim to their scare-tactics. On the contrary, we need to fight back. We need to become Maccabees. And what a Maccabee is, above all else, is a man or woman who is willing to fight against the odds, against enemies far larger than him or herself, because he or she knows that they can bend history toward their righteous will. The Maccabee holds a firm faith in the words of Martin Luther King, Jr., that “The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.”

We know that Israel’s cause is just. Let us just have faith that we can bend the world toward the recognition of its outstanding righteousness.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: Jonathan Sacks Calls for Jewish Surrender in Europe
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 09:26:10 AM »
He's a well dressed weasel
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 09:36:14 AM »
Jonathan Sucks has a pretty long history of backstabbing Israel to carry PERSONAL favor of the Jew haters in the UK.

And he believes that even religious fundamentalists will have to take notice of this message - because it's right there, within their own sacred texts. "Religious tolerance or pluralism have always been secular doctrines that could be dismissed as western or decadent by fundamentalists. This idea they cannot dismiss."

But such talk will surely not fly with the most hardline Muslim clerics, those who endorse, for example, the Hamas and Islamic Jihad suicide bombings against Israelis? Don't be so sure, comes the answer. It turns out that Britain's chief rabbi has had several secret meetings, previously undisclosed, with a variety of radical Muslims, including Ayatollah Abdullah Javadi-Amoli, one of Iran's highest-ranking clerics. They met during a UN conference of religious leaders in 2000; the Iranian requested the meeting, the foreign office arranged it.

"We established within minutes a common language, because we take certain things very seriously: we take faith seriously, we take texts seriously. It's a particular language that believers share." A language, says Sacks, which most Muslims feel is not understood in the west.

That encounter, among others, gave him the confidence to believe it was possible to "speak across difference". Now he is convinced that, if both sides to any conflict - whether a marriage dispute or a bloody war - truly listen to each other, they can, eventually, reach a resolution.

But aren't there some differences too wide to bridge? Could Sacks "hear the voice of God" from the mouth of a Muslim extremist who approved of terrorist violence? Could he even bring himself to meet such a man?

"Yes."

Would he meet, say, Abu Hamza, the sheikh of Finsbury Park, a Taliban sympathiser who admits to sharing the views of Osama bin Laden?

"Yes." In fact, Abu Hamza sent a message of support to the Jewish community of Finsbury Park, north London after its synagogue was recently desecrated. So a meeting with the sheikh is, says the chief rabbi, "a thought worth pursuing. I absolutely don't rule it out."

This is not, insists Sacks, "Pollyanna-ish optimism", but a conviction born of experience. He believes that even the widest chasms - those that could end in a clash of civilisations - can be bridged, so long as each side gives the other a respectful hearing. The only impossibility is dialogue with people "who kill those with whom they disagree." He could not sit down with a would-be suicide bomber: "In order to listen, I have to be alive."

So what are his views of the current Israeli situation? What does he make of the ancient Jewish command, quoted in his book: "Do not ill-treat a stranger [ie a non-Israelite] or oppress him, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt"? How can that square with Israel's 35-year-long occupation of the West Bank and Gaza?

"You cannot ignore a command that is repeated 36 times in the Mosaic books: 'You were exiled in order to know what it feels like to be an exile.' I regard that as one of the core projects of a state that is true to Judaic principle. And therefore I regard the current situation as nothing less than tragic, because it is forcing Israel into postures that are incompatible in the long- run with our deepest ideals."

That statement will be incendiary in some Jewish and Israeli circles, and he is reluctant to go further, to specify which Israeli actions might be incompatible with those "deepest ideals" of Judaism. He wants, instead, to put the other side, to explain how the Israeli peace camp is repeatedly "checkmated" by Palestinian terror: every time Israeli liberals preach compromise, Palestinians kill more innocents. He wants to stress how Israel made the "cognitive leap" towards compromise when former prime minister Ehud Barak offered major concessions two years ago, and how "there has been no parallel cognitive leap" on the Palestinian side. And he does all this fluently and with passion, his language always accessible - proving why it is that Jewish communal leaders now regard Sacks as Israel's best defender in Britain.

Still, when pressed, he will admit the anguish Israel's own conduct causes him. "There are things that happen on a daily basis which make me feel very uncomfortable as a Jew." He was "profoundly shocked" by reports of smiling Israeli soldiers posing for a photograph with the corpse of a slain Palestinian. "There is no question that this kind of prolonged conflict, together with the absence of hope, generates hatreds and insensitivities that in the long run are corrupting to a culture."

Would he join those rabbis who have described the occupation as morally corrupting? He answers by telling how, in 1967, in the immediate aftermath of the Six Day war, he had a rare argument with his late father. "I was convinced that Israel had to give back all the land for the sake of peace. My father, bless him, was convinced that Israel's neighbours would never make peace. Thirty five years later, I think we were both right."

Would it not help if he was less roundabout on this topic? No, he says, people listen to "a still, small voice" more readily than a loud one. Besides, in desperate times, a prophet is called on to give a message of hope: Jews feel so beleaguered by the current Middle Eastern situation, he says, it is his job to encourage, not scold.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/aug/27/religion.politicsphilosophyandsociety
http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2002/2936_rabbi_vs_israel.html

Offline Yehudayaakov

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 10:52:08 AM »
http://observer.com/2015/06/former-chief-rabbi-of-england-calls-for-jewish-surrender-in-europe/

His eloquence in promoting Judaism was thrilling.

There is nothing eloquent in promoting his own career, just the idiots are impressed. Using Torah for promotion of his own career is a sin of the highest degrees, he never promoted Judaism...he promoted himself and his hatred of Israel is proof.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 05:23:07 PM »
I find it somewhat humorous that we are attacking Rabbi Sacks based on what our friend Rabbi Shmuley Boteach said about him. Rabbi Shmuley is infamous around JTF for being Michael Jacksons 'Rabbi'....

I know people who consider Rabbi Sacks a great thinker... I don't know much about him other than he is not a right-winger.

Legendary Rabbi of England Calls for Jewish Surrender in Europe
Former Chief Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks, who calls Israel a 'divisive factor,' is wrong to give up
By Rabbi Shmuley Boteach | 06/10/15 10:00am

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 06:43:36 PM »
If you look up the word "Kapo" in the dictionary, it's got Jonathan Sachs' picture.

NEVER AGAIN!

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 07:07:17 PM »
Like his predecessor Lord Jakobovits, Sucks sold his soul to the British Foreign Office to get the title "Lord"!

"NEVER trust the hashkofos of a nominally Orthodox Jew who has a beard but who shaves his cheeks!"
(Old Yiddish saying)

Offline Yehudayaakov

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 08:46:32 AM »
The dumb must defend Israel he is in great position to do so! why most Jews with big position refuse to help their brethren  in danger in Israel, why getting in such high position if not to defend Israel who has to prevent him entering Israel while other more worthy should be welcomed open arms.

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 10:01:19 AM »
I find it somewhat humorous that we are attacking Rabbi Sacks based on what our friend Rabbi Shmuley Boteach said about him.

I think sacks is being attacked for what he has said himself. Smuley writing the article does not change that.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 12:57:42 PM »
I think sacks is being attacked for what he has said himself. Smuley writing the article does not change that.

Well, it seems that there are even more supporters of Rabbi Sacks who have more 'gravitas' in my book. Is it possible Rabbi Boteach has an 'axe to grind' with Rabbi Sacks? See this recent article by the respected Jack Engelhard (I just befriended him on FB) who writes a weekly column at the well-known right-wing news source of Arutz Sheva. He suggests that Rabbi Boteach may have misunderstood what Rabbi Sacks was saying...

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/17068#.VX2x7XXIl4s

Did Former Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks Misspeak?

Rabbi Sacks demanded action, not surrender, at the Herzliya Conference.
From Jack Engelhard

Back in the 1930s Zeev Jabotinsky warned his fellow Jews to “vacate Europe before Europe vacates you.”

Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks had exactly that in mind when he spoke at Herzliya in what his detractors now call his “gloom and doom speech.”

They misunderstand. Rabbi Sacks told the harsh truth and let the chips fall where they may.

Like King Solomon in Ecclesiastes he indulged in prophetic despair. Tradition is on his side. Being critical is a Talmudic trademark and on Torah and Talmud Rabbi Sacks is a scholar of top rank. Many of us who use the computer as an added form of study to this day eagerly await his timely commentaries – always brilliant.

But was Rabbi Sacks really in despair, or is “disgust” the word we want? Rabbi Sacks knows Europe. When he says it’s time to leave, the wise start packing.

A generation ago many packed too late.

A prophet, according to Abraham Heschel, is someone who knows what time it is.

(I am not in his league on Torah scholarship, but on Europe and the midnight knock on the door, trust me, on this I speak as an authority.)

First let’s remember who we’re talking about. Of all the great European Rabbinic intellects, it was Sacks who was chosen as Chief Rabbi of the British Empire. He served this post with great honor and distinction from 1991 to 2013. He retired with laurels from non-Jews and Jews alike.

This is a man who walks with Princes. Kings, Queens and Archbishops learn from him.

When a man of this caliber speaks, we are warned to listen to each word and hasten to his lamentations.

His remarks at the Herzliya conference have been reduced, mostly by his critics, as being a call to “surrender.”

That is a total misunderstanding and misreading of his message.

Quite the opposite from surrender is what he had in mind. He demanded action.

What exactly did he say? He said that BDS and others of that ilk have created a “divisive” atmosphere for Jewish supporters of Israel.

He said “Jews have been faced with a choice: live in Europe and criticize Israel or be silent – or leave Europe.”

From France, Rashi would have said it just as crisply. From Spain, Yehudah Halevi who saw it coming a thousand years ago would have applauded.

Once again the fate of a people hangs in the balance. This was no time to be indirect, subtle or polite. Rabbi Sacks gave it straight, no sugar added.

A prophet, according to Abraham Heschel, is someone who knows what time it is.

Rabbi Sacks would be the first to deny prophecy for himself. But Rabbi Sacks knows what time it is.

On the one hand, Sacks was rebuking Europe, saying – again? Have you learned nothing? One Holocaust wasn’t enough?

Rabbi Sacks was speaking directly to his fellow Europeans. He minced no words registering his disgust.

Mostly though, he was talking to the Jews of Europe. He gave them a choice clearly enough, simply, that once again the place is unsafe.

It’s as bad as it ever was. Silence? Never an option.

So, time to do what? Surrender? No, not at all.

“Leave Europe,” he said. There is no other choice. There is no Plan B. That was his point, precisely and emphatically.

Leave, go to Israel, make Aliya. Act now! Europe is finished. Israel is waiting.

Those who misunderstand do so, once again, at their own peril. Rabbi Sacks got it exactly right.

Jack Engelhard writes a regular column for Arutz Sheva. The new thriller from the New York-based novelist, The Bathsheba Deadline, a heroic editor’s singlehanded war on terror and against media bias. Engelhard wrote the int’l bestseller Indecent Proposal that was translated into more than 22 languages and turned into a Paramount motion picture starring Robert Redford and Demi Moore. Website: www.jackengelhard.com

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:09:07 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 01:13:50 PM »
Rabbi Boteach sounds to me like those who opposed our great Rabbi Kahane for suggesting that the Holocaust could happen in America, and that Jews in America should make aliyah to avoid the coming rise in antisemitism here in America (which I feel is already beginning to happen). Rabbi Kahane, to use Jack Englehards analogy (of Abraham Hersch), was a man who knew what times it was...

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 03:30:55 PM »
All british jews oppose Kahanism, sacks will be no different.
The biggest opposers of Kahanism comes from those who call themselves 'zionist'.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 03:57:12 PM »
Listen Muman, He condemned and denounced Israel during the height of the second intifada. That told me all I need to know about Chief Kapo Sacks. As it happened the Haredi gdolim in Israel also accused him of promoting heresy and assimilation wrapped in the appearance of orthodoxy. One Jew who admires Kapo Sacks is fellow kapo and judenrat Amos Oz.

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 01:06:14 PM »
The biggest opposers of Kahanism comes from those who call themselves 'zionist'.

The BIGGEST opponents of Kahanism were not the Liberals, nor the Leftists, nor the Secular Nationalists, nor the Haredim....... but the knitted kippot of YESHA!!!

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 12:59:57 PM »
Western European Jews in generally are more Right Wing and Traditional than American Jews. For example, the Deforms are marginal in England, Most non-religious Jews there would identify as Orthodox even though they don't keep Shabbat. It's like the Traditional Sfardic Jews in Israel. Being smaller in numbers makes them be more Right Wing. French Jews are also very Right Wing (Mostly North African Jews who know what Muslims are about.). There is less assimilation since Jews are less accepted than in the United States. I think also a lack of kosher food being widely available keeps the Jews more together in one area. At least that's how I saw it when I was in London as a teenager. I stayed in Golders Green at my dad's friend's house. There also seems to be a bigger connection with Israel. Israel is close to Europe so British Jews go there a few times a year they go there frequently when American Jews might only go there once a year (Of course Deforms go even less.).

Spiritual extermination is worse than physical extermination. Anti-Semitism in Europe prevents assimilation except in the cases of the most evil Left Wing Jews.

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 03:11:45 PM »
The zionist federation, the supposed rightwing, organised a trip to the westbank to understand the paleswinian point of view.
When the zionist federation considered not working together with terrorist funding yachad, they were criticized left and right for giving jews a bad name.
Jewish newspapers like jewishnews and jc copy smear articles from electronicintifaggotry to smear kahanists.
London jews think Israel is tel aviv beach.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 03:37:14 PM »
London jews think Israel is tel aviv beach.

You probably only know Establishment Jews. If you go somewhere like Golders Green, it's like being in Israel while in Exile. Most of the main stores on Golders Green Road are Jewish and you can speak in Hebrew to people on the street. Most of the people there are religious Jews. It's London's version of Brooklyn.

The culture there is more Jewish than the culture of Tel Aviv's beach area.

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 03:47:01 PM »

You probably only know Establishment Jews. If you go somewhere like Golders Green, it's like being in Israel while in Exile. Most of the main stores on Golders Green Road are Jewish and you can speak in Hebrew to people on the street. Most of the people there are religious Jews. It's London's version of Brooklyn.

The culture there is more Jewish than the culture of Tel Aviv's beach area.

That's where I walk my dogs. Just because some speak Hebrew doesn'nt mean they're proper zionists. I met a sephardic Israeli woman who is pro peace now.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 05:46:35 PM »
That's where I walk my dogs. Just because some speak Hebrew doesn'nt mean they're proper zionists. I met a sephardic Israeli woman who is pro peace now.

There are also Sfardic women in Israel who are traitors. They are the exception, not the rule.