Author Topic: Reasons why the Camp David Peace Treaty was bad for Israel  (Read 690 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
Reasons why the Camp David Peace Treaty was bad for Israel
« on: June 26, 2015, 09:39:39 AM »
Recently, I had a conversation with a non-Kahanist moderate right-winger and I was surprised that after everything that has happened, he still thinks that the Camp David Peace Treaty was a good thing.
I therefore wanted to start a discussion, what reasons can be offered to convince Jews that it was a bad deal.
I first want to start out with a Torah reason against Land for Peace concept, including the Camp David Treaty.
I remember once attending in my youth a Rabbi Kahane lecture on campus and he used (according to my memory) political arguments. He didn't seem at that time to also offer Torah proofs, I said to myself at the time, that he is raising important problems but if he is looking for a political solution, there might be other political solutions that are easier to carry out. If I knew at the time, that Rabbi Kahane was also defending the position of Torah Judaism, for me it would have been more persuasive.

As a proof that G-d does not endorse "Land for Peace", I will quote a translation of the words of the Rashbam on the verses in the book of Genesis. There Rashbam explains what brought G-d to command Avraham (Abraham) to bind Yitzchak (Isaac) for a burnt offering. [ Just before Avraham was about to slaughter his son Yitzchak, he received a command to offer a ram as a burnt offering on the Temple Mount, in place of his son. ]
Now here are the words of the Rashbam (to Genesis 22:1):

(1) Vayhi ahar ha-d'varim ha'elle - And it came to pass after these events:
Wherever the phrase ahar ha-d'varim ha'elle is found, the context is linked to whatever comes before it. "After these events" where Avram killed the kings, The Holy One Blessed be He, said to him: "Do not fear, Avram".
"And it came to pass after these events" when Yitzhak was born, Avraham was told etc. that Betu'el fathered Rivka.
Similarly, "after these events" where Mordechai informed on Bigtan and Teresh, King Ahashverosh raised up Haman who wanted to have Mordechai put to death, but the fact that Mordechai had saved the king's life helped him here, and it was Haman who was hanged. Here, too, after the events when Avraham concluded a pact with Avimelech, obligating the descendants of both men, and gave him seven lambs [as a token of the pact], the Almighty was angry with Avraham for doing so, for behold, the land of the P'lishtim (Philistines) had already been given to Avraham; and also in (the book of) Yehoshua (Joshua), lots were used to divide the cities of the five P'lishtim leaders, being included within the boundaries of the land of Israel and the Holy One Blessed be He commanded, regarding them, do not not let even a single soul survive. Then the L-rd put Avraham to the test, harassed him and caused him sorrow, as is written: "has He tested you with suffering you are unable to remain silent" (Job 4:3, Rashbam to Gen. 19:11 ); " and for their having tested G-d[Hashem]" (Exod. 17:7); Massa - trial - um'riva -and argument (also Exodus 17:7); "examine me, O G-d[Hashem], and test me" (Ps. 26:2).

In other words: "You became haughty because of the son I have given you - to conclude a pact between you and between their children.
Now go and offer him up as a burnt-offering, and see what will come of your pact!"

And afterwards I have found something similar in the midrash of Sh'muel:

"And the ark of Hashem remained in the land of the P'lishtim for seven months". It was written [concerning Avraham's oath]: "Take from my hand the seven lambs".
The Holy One Blessed be He said to him: "You gave him seven lambs?

[I swear] by your life, his descendants will wage seven wars against your descendants and defeat them".
Another interpretation: "By your life, his descendants will put to death seven righteous men of your descendants, viz., Shimshon (Samson), Hofni, Pinchas, Shaul (Saul), and his three sons".
An alternative interpretation: "By your life, his descendants will destroy seven Temple Sanctuaries, namely: the tent of Meeting, Gilgal, Nov, and Shilo; Giv'on and the two permanent Temples [of Jerusalem]."
Yet another interpretation: "[By your life], the Ark will be passed back and forth amongst the P'lishtim for seven months."

Rashbam concludes what does the Hebrew word "Nissa" in Genesis 22:1 connotate. He answers, harassed (namely, that G-d harassed Avraham after the Peace Treaty with Avimelech).

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
Re: Reasons why the Camp David Peace Treaty was bad for Israel
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 09:48:42 AM »
Now to start adding political reasons.
1] Part of the treaty required the expulsion of Jews from their homes in Sinai. A precedent that would be used once again in Gush Katif to expel the Jews from there which ended up with the Hamas regime we see there
2] Mubarak and his successor maybe helped or at least did not do anything major to hinder Hamas and other terrorists from getting weapons and supplies for waging war against Israel
3] It weakened in the eyes of Israelis our feeling of having the legitimate rights to the land of Israel
4] It opened the door to autonomy and the Oslo agreements.
5] It was a big blow to the economy because we gave up expensive oil fields and military bases as part of the deal.
6] It shrunk the state of Israel's size significantly making it more vulnerable to a first strike missile attack
7] It made it easier for the Africans to infiltrate into the border of Israel

Please feel free to add to this list or provide more details to the points I have posted