Author Topic: Lenny Goldberg mentions "Leroy" in Revava thread.  (Read 1159 times)

admin

Lenny Goldberg mentions "Leroy" in Revava thread.
« on: August 24, 2007, 09:04:03 PM »
Some of those people on that list are considered righteous, like Adam and Elisha.

I think the situation is like this: just because someone was evil, it doesn't make his name bad. He may have had a beautiful name, like Avshalom ("father of of peace"), but he was bad personally, but it doesn't mean the essence of his name is bad, and so it's OK to be named "Avhsalom".  In the same fashion, there is a tzadeek in the Talmud named rabbi Ishamael. It's no problem, because Ishmael as a name isn't inherently bad (it means "G-d heard") - it was the guy Ishamael who was bad, but the essence of his name is OK, and that's why there is a rabbi Ishamael. After all, the original Ishamael was given his name  by G-d, not as an insult.

Names like Nimrod, I don't know what the root is, but he was a goy anyway, from bnei Cush. Who knows what the essence of that name is. Maybe it means LeRoy. [Yacov Menashe interjects: UMM HMM!]

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: Lenny Goldberg mentions "Leroy" in Revava thread.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 09:05:27 PM »
Some of those people on that list are considered righteous, like Adam and Elisha.

I think the situation is like this: just because someone was evil, it doesn't make his name bad. He may have had a beautiful name, like Avshalom ("father of of peace"), but he was bad personally, but it doesn't mean the essence of his name is bad, and so it's OK to be named "Avhsalom".  In the same fashion, there is a tzadeek in the Talmud named rabbi Ishamael. It's no problem, because Ishmael as a name isn't inherently bad (it means "G-d heard") - it was the guy Ishamael who was bad, but the essence of his name is OK, and that's why there is a rabbi Ishamael. After all, the original Ishamael was given his name  by G-d, not as an insult.

Names like Nimrod, I don't know what the root is, but he was a goy anyway, from bnei Cush. Who knows what the essence of that name is. Maybe it means LeRoy. [Yacov Menashe interjects: UMM HMM!]

Israelis who have the name nimrod tend to be evil
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03