Author Topic: Gastritis  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Gastritis
« on: December 24, 2015, 07:57:34 PM »
Questions for any of you JTF'ers in the medical field.

Aside from taking Nexium, what's the best way to manage your symptoms.  I have gastritis and esaphogitis.  And due to nervousness I've had this gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach these past two days.  The doctor said to avoid spicy foods.  Any other suggestions? 

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Gastritis
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 08:41:52 PM »
Small meals every 3 or 4 hours.  Avoid coffee or coke (if you drink either).
Sometimes you want to avoid the medications, but you might need them until the worst of the symptoms subside.
Stress is tough on the body.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 11:35:13 PM »
You should also determine if your gastritis is associated with H. pylori, a bacterium often associated with it. If so, an appropriate antibiotic regimen should be included in your treatment regimen.

Offline fibrogirl

• Full JTFer
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 02:18:08 AM »
The heliobactor pylori test is a easy simple breath test. In Israel all you need to do is ask your GP for it. I also suggest you first try that.

In my case gastritis turned out to be caused by food intolerances. (It might be caused by something else for you.) I was also diagnosed with "IBS" but I only solved the problem by going to a private dietician and working out slowly what foods to eat or not.

If you are an Ashkenasi Jew your chance of having cow's milk intolerance is slightly higher than for Caucasians of European non Jewish decent, so if you go down the food intolerance route, it is worth trying to eliminate cow's milk first. You will need a good dietician for this. Only do it if the pylori test comes out negative.

Also no fried food. They make it much worse  and tomatoes worsen it for some people too.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 03:01:36 AM »
Will be praying for you Lisa.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 12:24:23 PM »
Hi Ben Yehudah, I had an endoscopy.  All the doctor said was to avoid spicy food.  Luckily I don't have the h. pylori bacteria. 

And to answer Fibrogirl's question, I'm not Ashenazi.  But I would rather not avoid all dairy.  I did so last year when I lost some weight, and as a result, my nails are not in the best shape.  They sometimes split.  But I think I might just see a dietician. 

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 12:25:02 PM »

Online Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 07:27:27 PM »
Hi Ben Yehudah, I had an endoscopy.  All the doctor said was to avoid spicy food.  Luckily I don't have the h. pylori bacteria. 

And to answer Fibrogirl's question, I'm not Ashkenazi.  But I would rather not avoid all dairy.  I did so last year when I lost some weight, and as a result, my nails are not in the best shape.  They sometimes split.  But I think I might just see a dietician.

Did you ever try Biotin as a supplement for your nails?

I'll refrain from offering medical advice. With the help of G-d, may you have a full and quick recovery Lisa!

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 08:03:44 PM »
I added dairy back to my diet, and it's really helped my nails.