Author Topic: FOR THOSE OF YOU IN COLLEGE RIGHT NOW  (Read 20910 times)

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
FOR THOSE OF YOU IN COLLEGE RIGHT NOW
« on: September 05, 2007, 08:48:18 PM »
Please pick the right occupation and major while you're in college, and pick it well. Because if you make a mistake and then want to change your occupation years down the road after graduation, it will be EXTREMELY difficult if not impossible.

Find out what you want to do and if it agrees with you and get some internship experience. Take advantage of the placement office a year to 6 months before graduation, because the placement office will treat you like yesterdays news if you go back to them a year after graduation. Fight like hell to get that first RIGHT job...right after college as soon as you graduate.

Take it from painful experience.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 08:56:29 PM by ItalianZionist »

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
Re: FOR THOSE OF YOU IN COLLEGE RIGHT NOW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 09:00:33 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about that ItalianZionist.  I can imagine how you feel.  Just keep trying, eventually you'll find a job.  If the people in charge of hiring at those jobs that only hire directly out of college won't hire you because you're too old, they're probably too stupid to want to work for anyway.  Why would they not want to hire an older and more mature and experienced worker?  Doesn't make any sense.  Keep trying, someone will hire you just don't give up.

You're right about picking the right major in college though.
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 09:11:56 PM »
Thanks Ze'ev.....you guys are the best.

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 10:30:23 PM »
I hope it all works out for you IZ
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Erica

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 01:18:31 AM »
Please pick the right occupation and major while you're in college, and pick it well. Because if you make a mistake and then want to change your occupation years down the road after graduation, it will be EXTREMELY difficult if not impossible.

Find out what you want to do and if it agrees with you and get some internship experience. Take advantage of the placement office a year to 6 months before graduation, because the placement office will treat you like yesterdays news if you go back to them a year after graduation. Fight like hell to get that first RIGHT job...right after college as soon as you graduate.

Take it from painful experience.
I'm sorry you experienced that. Lots of people who attend college without a clue of what they're going there to recieve their degree in often find that looking for work is harder when you don't love what you do. Finding proper placement and getting the proper experience in the field of study you choose is very important.

I am currently in college recieving my Associate of Science- Interdisciplinary Education Paraprofessional Degree. But while I'm studying, I've been offered a job opportunity to work at a head start school while my 3 year old attends. I've also been told that I can go to my teenagers' high school to sit in (as a Paraprofessional ...or Teacher's Aide) to gain more experience. After I recieve my A.S. I'm going to go back for my B.S. in Secondary Education to become a full- fledged English/ Reading Support Teacher.

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 06:23:53 PM »
Erica have you ever taught in a city school before? I wouldn't recommend it. If it's in a bad neighborhood, you'll go bananas within 6 months.

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 06:35:35 PM »
Erica have you ever taught in a city school before? I wouldn't recommend it. If it's in a bad neighborhood, you'll go bananas within 6 months.

I've taught in the New York City school system for eight years now in the south Bronx and I'm still enjoying it and doing well. I might be bananas, but it's got nothing to do with me working for the school system  :laugh:

Erica

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 09:31:38 PM »
And you know this because? I actually attended school, both elementary school and high schol in the city where I grew up. Not much has changed since I was in school. Its only been 15 years for me. I'm going to teach where I'm needed. Right now I'm needed in the community where I grew up.

Erica

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 09:35:05 PM »

I've taught in the New York City school system for eight years now in the south Bronx and I'm still enjoying it and doing well. I might be bananas, but it's got nothing to do with me working for the school system  :laugh:
My best friend since 7th grade is now a 5th grade teacher in our old neighborhood. She's gone batty but she's an outstanding teacher. lol

newman

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 09:38:41 PM »
And you know this because? I actually attended school, both elementary school and high schol in the city where I grew up. Not much has changed since I was in school. Its only been 15 years for me. I'm going to teach where I'm needed. Right now I'm needed in the community where I grew up.

Don't be silly and risk your life out of misguided loyalty to savages, Erica.

You and your husband have worked hard to get where you are. Teach in a good school in a good neighbourhood and leave the losers of the planet to their fate.

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 09:45:30 PM »

I know because I'm a teacher in an awful neighborhood. If you want a job let me know...I'll give you mine..

Erica

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 09:47:35 PM »

You and your husband have worked hard to get where you are. Teach in a good school in a good neighbourhood and leave the losers of the planet to their fate.
Yet you are the same person who had the nerve to tell me what I should do for my community and culture...and you aren't the only person to say that. So its a bad thing when I don't take up the ENTIRE plight of the black communty and fix things for YOU but when I mention that I'm going to help out in another way, now I'm silly? Make up your mind, man. Despite what you say, I'm going to do what I feel I was born to do. My husband and I came out of the same system that the students I'll be teaching are in now. Stressful, though it may be, they're worth the effort, even if you do think they're good for nothing.

Erica

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 09:48:29 PM »

I know because I'm a teacher in an awful neighborhood. If you want a job let me know...I'll give you mine..

I'll get one when I get home. I'm not going to be living in NY, but if I were, I'd take you up on that offer. You aren't scaring me.

newman

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 09:50:43 PM »

What burns me up, IZ is that you went into a nobel profession with the good intention of educating children.

Your reward is to be threatened with assault or murder every day by savages who have NO DESIRE to be educated.

Erica

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 09:51:53 PM »

Also, newman, I had a few teachers who acted just like you're acting toward black kids in their classes. I was even told by my 8th grade teacher that I'd not make anything of myself when I grew up. She was wrong and so are you about the students I'll come in contact with.

Erica

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 09:54:47 PM »

What burns me up, IZ is that you went into a nobel profession with the good intention of educating children.

Your reward is to be threatened with assault or murder every day by savages who have NO DESIRE to be educated.
If you have no desire to inspire change in the minds of these students, why even teach, ItalianZionist? And why do you care, newman? If I'm the teacher of 30 students and over half of them graduate with honors, that's  15 to 20 (edit to add numbers) black kids who will not rob, steal, or kill. It will be a whole lot better when I reach ALL of my students.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 09:58:37 PM by Erica »

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 09:56:21 PM »

Sadly true newman

Erica

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 09:57:02 PM »

Sadly true newman
What is your purpose for teaching, ItalianZionist?

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 09:59:05 PM »

If you have no desire to inspire change in the minds of these students, why even teach, ItalianZionist? And why do you care, newman? If I'm the teacher of 30 students and over half of them graduate with honors, that's over half black kids who will not rob, steal, or kill. It would be a whole lot better when I reach ALL of my students.

Erica, of course there are children of all races that want to learn and behave. But all too are insolent in the bad neighborhoods. Moreover, you cannot always get the job you want and sometimes you need to stay with a job to pay the bills..

Erica

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 10:01:26 PM »

If you have no desire to inspire change in the minds of these students, why even teach, ItalianZionist? And why do you care, newman? If I'm the teacher of 30 students and over half of them graduate with honors, that's over half black kids who will not rob, steal, or kill. It would be a whole lot better when I reach ALL of my students.

Erica, of course there are children of all races that want to learn and behave. But all too are insolent in the bad neighborhoods. Moreover, you cannot always get the job you want and sometimes you need to stay with a job to pay the bills..
So you're one of those teachers who only teaches for the paycheck, and not for the overall teaching experience PLUS the pay. I had a teacher, my 8th grade teacher, in fact who told us that she wasn't interested in how we'd turn out, but that she only came to work everyday to collect a check. Needless to say, no one respected her. Not even teachers with more tact in their number 2 pencils than she had in her entire body.

Edited to Add:

Why didn't you get into a profession that you'd actually LOVE to get up in the morning to do?

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 10:03:30 PM »

So you're one of those teachers who only teaches for the paycheck, and not for the overall teaching experience PLUS the pay. I had a teacher, my 8th grade teacher, in fact who told us that she wasn't interested in how we'd turn out, but that she only came to work everyday to collect a check. Needless to say, no one respected her. Not even teachers with more tact in their number 2 pencils than she had in her entire body.

Edited to Add:

Why didn't you get into a profession that you'd actually LOVE to get up in the morning to do?

Erica, the last sentence is a fragment. Please revise.

newman

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 10:05:50 PM »

Edited to Add:

He probably was a very enthusiastic and idealistic young teacher until the savages destroyed his enthusiasm.

Most ex-teachers you meet will tell you that.

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 10:06:18 PM »
LOL......NO, but seriously, like I said, I come to work for the good kids and hopefully I will change the "bad" kids. But until the profession changes with more security and disruptive student removal, the system is in bad shape..I do not advise anyone to get into it.  Maybe if nobody gets into it the system will get the message.

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 10:07:19 PM »

Edited to Add:

He probably was a very enthusiastic and idealistic young teacher until the savages destroyed his enthusiasm.

Most ex-teachers you meet will tell you that.

Newman, you read my mind.

Erica

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 10:07:36 PM »

Edited to Add:

Erica, the last sentence is a fragment. Please revise.
Pardon me Mr. Teacher... "No one respected this uninvolved 8th grade teacher, including all of the hard-working teachers (who IMO had more tact in their number 2 pencils than she had in her entire body.)"