Author Topic: Has 9/11 become less sentimental?  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
Has 9/11 become less sentimental?
« on: September 11, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
Is it just me or have others of you noticed how 9/11 seems to be less sentimental now? The radio show I listen to in the morning normally would have nearly the entire program devoted to 9/11 displaying a very somber mood and lots of operatic and patriotic music. Today, the DJ, Todd Pettingill stated that they're trying to strive a balance of commemorating 9/11 while still being entertaining and sending out the message that life goes on. At work, the principal would usually announce a moment of silence on the PA system. That was not done today. It didn't seem like 9/11 was on anyone's lips or minds. The news doesn't seem to be mentioning to too much now. Anything in relation to 9/11 are stories like, "Are we any safer today?"

In my morning advisory group, I show the students movies. I've been showing the World Trade Center movie because of the timing. I'm also sending some blue mountain ecards to my friends and family. So I'm still personally sentimental about it. I know that life goes on. But I sense that people aren't quite as sentimental about the anniversary as much as they have been over the past 5 years and I kinda miss that.

How do the rest of you feel?

kellymaureen

Re: Has 9/11 become less sentimental?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 05:25:09 PM »
Yes it is, too many of our fellow countrymen either have forgotten it as a distant bad memory or are of the nutter conspiracy theory group.

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 05:28:26 PM »
This is the link to a blue mountain card I'm sending out to all of you. I hope the link works:

http://www.bluemountain.com:80/display.pd?prodnum=3035101&Searchstr=September%2011&st=c&path=35616

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 05:33:36 PM »
Its 6 years on. There should be a time of respect for the victims but what more can be done? Everything moves on. I guess it means more to you Americans, the Newspapers in England each had a rather huge section devoted to 9/11.

kellymaureen

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 05:37:21 PM »
Its not a matter so much of moving on as it is not forgetting this day in history.  If we forget or do not learn from history it will repeat itself.  911 keeps us reminded of what we are fighting.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 05:43:18 PM »
I also think that Americans, by nature are happy people and prefer not to be sad for a long time.

9/11 isn't a day of celebration.

I think for the time being we shoudl continue what we have been doing for the last 6 years and figure out as we go how this day shoudl be commerorated in teh future.

however..one thing...9/11 was teh beginning of WWIII. I don't know why we aren't treating it as such.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 06:13:30 PM »
I am tired of seeing the same thing every year.  A neighbor of mine lost his son the the attack.  After the 1st anniversary, he stopped going there.  I am also tired of hearing the song "God Bless America" at baseball games.  It wastes time and takes away from the game.  The Yankees take advantage of it by having an Irish Tenor singing it for about 5 minutes.  Since 9/11, the Yankees scored more runs in the bottom of the 7th inning than all of baseball because of this long delay. 

Offline EagleEye

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 10:10:30 AM »
Yes, I believe the national mood has changed, because Bush has been such a disaster.  It is less sentimental than it was.

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 10:35:23 AM »
Its not a matter so much of moving on as it is not forgetting this day in history.  If we forget or do not learn from history it will repeat itself.  911 keeps us reminded of what we are fighting.

Exactly. 

Erica

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 10:53:28 AM »
Is it just me or have others of you noticed how 9/11 seems to be less sentimental now? The radio show I listen to in the morning normally would have nearly the entire program devoted to 9/11 displaying a very somber mood and lots of operatic and patriotic music. Today, the DJ, Todd Pettingill stated that they're trying to strive a balance of commemorating 9/11 while still being entertaining and sending out the message that life goes on. At work, the principal would usually announce a moment of silence on the PA system. That was not done today. It didn't seem like 9/11 was on anyone's lips or minds. The news doesn't seem to be mentioning to too much now. Anything in relation to 9/11 are stories like, "Are we any safer today?"

In my morning advisory group, I show the students movies. I've been showing the World Trade Center movie because of the timing. I'm also sending some blue mountain ecards to my friends and family. So I'm still personally sentimental about it. I know that life goes on. But I sense that people aren't quite as sentimental about the anniversary as much as they have been over the past 5 years and I kinda miss that.

How do the rest of you feel?
I think you're right, Daniel. After 6 years, I think a lot of people have forgotten what we lost that day. One person I know of though who doesn't celebrate their birthday the same way since then is my mom. I think she feels guilty that she's supposed to be so happy at a time when people are usually so sad.

And my husband and I went to see World Trade Center at the movies when it came out. It was so sad but also compelling because of the fact that there were people fighting for the lives of those trapped in the Twin Towers. It gave a better look into what was going on in the inside of the buildings before and after they collapsed. I'm humbled by the firemen and police officers who gave their lives and their time to help in that catastrophe.

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 11:08:07 AM »
I saw a story on TV last night of people being asked what year was the 9/11 attack.  All the people shown didn't know.  But they knew about Britney Spears and Brad Pitt.

Offline EagleEye

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 11:10:17 AM »
9/11 should be a proof to those who believe in reaching out to other religions (whether they be Jews or Christians) that all religions are not equal.

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 11:59:08 AM »
It's not that the people have forgotten 9/11, they are just fed up with Washington not doing anything about it.

Offline EagleEye

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 01:34:11 PM »
Unfortunately, 9/11 revisionism is developing, similar to holocaust revisionism.  People are blaming 9/11 on the US government, etc.  People are suggesting that terrorism is a just response to so-called American imperialism.  This is why Ron Paul has a voting base, though it should be noted that his base isn't big enough to make him a major threat.  We must never lose sight of the fact that America is despised not because it intervenes in the middle-east, but because of the pathology of Islam, which instructs all Muslims to hate everyone who is not a Muslim.  Only strength can defeat Islam, weakness and diplomacy cannot.

Offline Barach Velvel ben Lazer Eliazer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 03:19:24 AM »
"Never forget", indeed, but reading the names of the victims over and over each year is beginning to become somewhat worthless and empty. Americans are never going to forget that horrific day, but dwelling on the deaths for too long is unhealthy, that's why one needs to move on, just like any kind of death. Remembrance keeps our dead loved ones' memory alive. This remembrance doesn't need to be broadcast on all the TV stations for it to mean something. People have hearts and can articulate their love for their loved ones privately or amongst family and friends.

However, it is true people are too passive of 9/11. I don't think the majority of people really understand what this day means. It marked the day when we realized how unprepared our nation was, and the price we paid for allowing Muslim Nazi terrorists across our borders. We our a great nation, but 9/11 showed that what makes America great is also one of its biggest downfalls.

It would seem that really no one, but JTF and a few choice others know exactly what 9/11 means. Not even our president understands what message was being sent on that day.

Well, I suppose Bush mixed up the last letters and that's the reason why we're in the wrong terrorist country. Well, whatever it is, it's due to his now world famous (or more appropriately-infamous) stupidity.