Author Topic: king david put himself in harms way  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Rivera

• Full JTFer
king david put himself in harms way
« on: September 11, 2007, 08:34:21 PM »
In the TANACH in second Samuel 21:15 we read, THE PHILISTINES AGAIN MADE WAR WITH ISRAEL. DAVID AND HIS SERVANTS WENT DOWN AND FOUGHT THE PHILISTINES, AND DAVID BECAME FAINT. ISHBI-BENOB- WHO WAS ONE OF THE CHILDREN OF THE GIANT, AND WHOSE SPEAR WEIGHED THREE HUNDREN COPPER WEIGHTS AND WHO WAS GIRED WITH A NEW [SWORD]- DECLARED THAT HE WOULD STRIK DOWN DAVID. ABISHAI SON OF ZERUIAH CAME TO HIS AID AND HE STRUCK THE PHIISTINE, KILLING HIM. THEN DAVIDS MEN SWORE TO HIM, SAYING, YOU SHALL NOT GO TO WAR WITH US ANY MORE, SO THAT YOU NOT EXTINGUISH THE LAMP OF Israel! Their comes a time when a leader in his seal to do the right thing puts himself in harms way going against the Torah teaching not to do so. King David almost died in battle he fainted. he put himself in harms way. And his men had the courage  to tell him that he will not fight any more with them in battle. Had Rabbi Kahane men like these in his later years then maybe Hashem would have had mercy on him and let him lead. Rabbi Kahane like David was getting old and tired. But he keep PUTTING himself in harms way against Torah teaching. their comes a time when the followers of a movement has to look at the Torah for wisdom. and just not allow its leaders to keep on going reckless until someone comes along and kills him. and this is the position that the jtf is in with regard to CHAIMBEN PESACH. He wants to go to Israel and put himself in harms way the way King David did. But is Chaim's followers telling him not to go? NO! they are telling Chaim go to Israel so maybe you will die or go  to jail it is good for the cause. How wrong  they are. If Chaim is to be effective in his movement he must think with a clear head. If he knows that going to Israel now will lead him to being jailed or being killed and he still wants to go then that my friend is STUPIDITY!

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
Re: king david put himself in harms way
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 09:14:57 PM »
In the TANACH in second Samuel 21:15 we read, THE PHILISTINES AGAIN MADE WAR WITH ISRAEL. DAVID AND HIS SERVANTS WENT DOWN AND FOUGHT THE PHILISTINES, AND DAVID BECAME FAINT. ISHBI-BENOB- WHO WAS ONE OF THE CHILDREN OF THE GIANT, AND WHOSE SPEAR WEIGHED THREE HUNDREN COPPER WEIGHTS AND WHO WAS GIRED WITH A NEW [SWORD]- DECLARED THAT HE WOULD STRIK DOWN DAVID. ABISHAI SON OF ZERUIAH CAME TO HIS AID AND HE STRUCK THE PHIISTINE, KILLING HIM. THEN DAVIDS MEN SWORE TO HIM, SAYING, YOU SHALL NOT GO TO WAR WITH US ANY MORE, SO THAT YOU NOT EXTINGUISH THE LAMP OF Israel! Their comes a time when a leader in his seal to do the right thing puts himself in harms way going against the Torah teaching not to do so. King David almost died in battle he fainted. he put himself in harms way. And his men had the courage  to tell him that he will not fight any more with them in battle. Had Rabbi Kahane men like these in his later years then maybe Hashem would have had mercy on him and let him lead. Rabbi Kahane like David was getting old and tired. But he keep PUTTING himself in harms way against Torah teaching. their comes a time when the followers of a movement has to look at the Torah for wisdom. and just not allow its leaders to keep on going reckless until someone comes along and kills him. and this is the position that the jtf is in with regard to CHAIMBEN PESACH. He wants to go to Israel and put himself in harms way the way King David did. But is Chaim's followers telling him not to go? NO! they are telling Chaim go to Israel so maybe you will die or go  to jail it is good for the cause. How wrong  they are. If Chaim is to be effective in his movement he must think with a clear head. If he knows that going to Israel now will lead him to being jailed or being killed and he still wants to go then that my friend is STUPIDITY!
I must say Rivera you are just completely wrong here.  Chaim wants to go to Israel so that he can fulfill the comandment of doing so.  It is not a political move.

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 09:31:33 PM »
ABISHAI SON OF ZERUIAH CAME TO HIS AID AND HE STRUCK THE PHIISTINE,
  this always mystified me some people say that he killed Goliath not david
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Rivera

• Full JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 09:41:40 PM »
ABISHAI SON OF ZERUIAH CAME TO HIS AID AND HE STRUCK THE PHIISTINE,
  this always mystified me some people say that he killed Goliath not david
In second Samuel 21:19 it says that Elhanan son of jaare-oregim killed the [brother of] Goliath.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 09:42:38 PM »
So he killed goliaths brother
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 10:14:21 PM »
Revera, you are mistaken.  From this set of verses we learn what we already know that one may risk his life to go to battle to fight our enemies.   But how much of a risk does a King have to take in going to the battle himself?  So it maybe teaches us another possible lesson, what is considered too much of a risk for a King in battle.  We learn if the King loses his strength due to age like in this case then it is considered too much risk for a King.  Alternatively, you may learn nothing out from here since what the Soldiers say is not necessarily Torah, it's that they personally were worried about David, perhaps wrongly and they should have had more faith in G-d.  This would not be the first time the public was wrong, as they asked for a King for the wrong reason as you know. 

As for comparing this situation to Chaim, it's very weak if this verse talking about a King going to battle weakened is a good comparison.  Chaim is taking about the same risk as going to battle according to me.  And with regard to the Rav, he also took about the same risk going to battle.  Your insane remark that he was wrong since he got too weak is an insult to the great Rav.  His strength did not leave him, in fact I think he was even stronger and wiser as he got older and he was relatively young in years when he was taken.  Remember that the Rav was shot and had he been younger in years and this happened, he still would have died since you basically can't survive a bullet to the head.  The Kings of Israel fought many risky battles like the one that Killed King Shaul, but the Torah requires them to fight such battles to save Israel and trust in Hashem. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD