Author Topic: jtf forum working on the Sabbath?  (Read 33192 times)

Offline Rivera

• Full JTFer
jtf forum working on the Sabbath?
« on: September 14, 2007, 07:45:25 PM »
I was wondering. this is a Jewish site. why is it working on the Sabbath? It should be close down from Friday evening to Saturday evening.

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
Re: jtf forum working on the Sabbath?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 07:49:41 PM »
I was wondering. this is a Jewish site. why is it working on the Sabbath? It should be close down from Friday evening to Saturday evening.
the english site isn't only Jewish.
But the hebrew forum is closed :
http://jtf.org/forum_hebrew/index.php

« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 07:59:03 PM by Dexter »
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 07:50:11 PM »
Not eveyone is Jewish it's about 40%Jewish 60%none Jewish
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Rivera

• Full JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 08:00:13 PM »

Nice poam, by the way  ;)
I am a little concern. How many Jewish members are on this site right now and not keeping the sabbath?

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 08:01:04 PM »

I am a little concern. How many Jewish members are on this site right now and not keeping the sabbath?
Few .
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Bodhi

• Full JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 05:15:07 PM »
  I wonder...It doesn't seem to me that posting on the intenet is in violation of the Sabbath....anyone??

I suppose it depends on how you interpret things but I'm asking...anyone with an view please reply...I had never thought of an iternet forum as being a violation....however, it never occured to me before this.......

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 06:39:04 PM »
In my opinion, it depends on the Jew...it depends on where he/she wants to build his fence. It also depends on what that person's Rebbi will say.

Does it go against the Torah rule of sabbath? Probably not, but then again, i'm not a rabbinical authority.

However, if one must build a "fence" to not be tempted to do business on Shabbat, then I would presume that going on the internet is not the right thing to do on Shabbat.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 07:04:18 PM »
I don't know if it violates the Sabbath, but I do worse things to violate the Sabbath than go online, such as doing course readings, assignments, and other study work.  If you're Orthodox then I would say it almost assuredly violates the Sabbath. 
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Rivera

• Full JTFer
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 07:46:32 PM »
  I wonder...It doesn't seem to me that posting on the intenet is in violation of the Sabbath....anyone??

I suppose it depends on how you interpret things but I'm asking...anyone with an view please reply...I had never thought of an iternet forum as being a violation....however, it never occured to me before this.......

It is a violation of the Sabbath. Even if a Jewish person is not religious Hashem See's it as a violation because Hashem See's all the Jewish people as one. when you as a Jewish person commites a sin all of the Jewish people suffer for it.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 07:55:58 PM »

It is a violation of the Sabbath. Even if a Jewish person is not religious Hashem See's it as a violation because Hashem See's all the Jewish people as one. when you as a Jewish person commites a sin all of the Jewish people suffer for it.

and which religion is this you are following?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Rivera

• Full JTFer
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 08:09:34 PM »

I am  Noahide. And I know for a fact that G-D See's the Jewish people as one as [HE] is one.

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 08:14:53 PM »

Great question. Someone already answered it for you. The majority of our posters are Gentiles. The forum remains open for them.

The use of a computer is forbidden on the Sabbath.

Google "39 Melachot."

The prohibition of the melachah of burning or igniting a fire covers the use of electricity. The prohibition of the melachah of writing covers typing.

Offline JewishTeddyBear

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 08:15:09 PM »
Of course going online during the Sabbath is a clear violation for Jews.  Gentiles are not required to keep the sabbath.

On the other hand, as King Solomon said so many thousands of years ago, "There is no man (or woman) so righteous that he (or she) never sins."  To quote JESUS here even though I reject him as anything other than a philosopher, "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone."

While a Jew is required to keep the Sabbath, I do think that how we treat each other is far more important.  G-d Himself has no needs, and cannot truly get hurt no matter how we treat Him, but our fellow human being is infinitely more vulnerable and can get hurt quite easily.  Better to be around a kind person whose theological beliefs may be questionable, than around a very strong believer in G-d who acts like a jerk. 

Offline Rivera

• Full JTFer
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 08:26:39 PM »
Of course going online during the Sabbath is a clear violation for Jews.  Gentiles are not required to keep the sabbath.

On the other hand, as King Solomon said so many thousands of years ago, "There is no man (or woman) so righteous that he (or she) never sins."  To quote JESUS here even though I reject him as anything other than a philosopher, "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone."

While a Jew is required to keep the Sabbath, I do think that how we treat each other is far more important.  G-d Himself has no needs, and cannot truly get hurt no matter how we treat Him, but our fellow human being is infinitely more vulnerable and can get hurt quite easily.  Better to be around a kind person whose theological beliefs may be questionable, than around a very strong believer in G-d who acts like a jerk. 

There is no excuse for a Jewish person not to Keep the Sabbath. G-D said in the Torah that his commandments is not hard. As for a kind person whose theologial beliefs are questionable, he will tell you what you want to hear and keep youin darkness!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 08:26:58 PM »

I am  Noahide. And I know for a fact that G-D See's the Jewish people as one as [HE] is one.

Are you a Torah scholar too that you can say such things?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 08:28:22 PM »

AMEN!!! So wise!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2007, 08:29:55 PM »

There is no excuse for a Jewish person not to Keep the Sabbath. G-D said in the Torah that his commandments is not hard. As for a kind person whose theologial beliefs are questionable, he will tell you what you want to hear and keep youin darkness!

You're wrong...there are plenty of reasons for a Jew to not keep Shabbat...for one thing, to SAVE A LIFE!!!! I advise you, Rivera, to take some talmudic and Torah classes before you continue bible thumping us.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2007, 08:34:21 PM »

You're wrong...there are plenty of reasons for a Jew to not keep Shabbat...for one thing, to SAVE A LIFE!!!! I advise you, Rivera, to take some talmudic and Torah classes before you continue bible thumping us.

going on a forum on Shabb-t isnt saving a life. Its bad enough that people sin, but to sin and cause others to sin (partly by showing that breaking Shabb-t isnt much for you) is just disgusting (not directed for any individual but a public writing to all). Even though their are many gentile posters, I belive that JTF forum should close down on Shabb-t and Jewish holidays.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2007, 08:35:09 PM »

I think Rivera is right strictly speaking.  I'm not sure about the entire Jewish people suffering for the failure to follow the laws by a fellow Jew though.  Going online on shabbat definitely isn't saving any lives, so I think he is correct when he says that there is no excuse not to keep the Sabbath in this situation.
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2007, 08:39:18 PM »

going on a forum on Shabb-t isnt saving a life. Its bad enough that people sin, but to sin and cause others to sin (partly by showing that breaking Shabb-t isnt much for you) is just disgusting (not directed for any individual but a public writing to all). Even though their are many gentile posters, I belive that JTF forum should close down on Shabb-t and Jewish holidays.

So are you saying that a person who doesn't follow shabbat cannot even say that they don't follow shabbat?  Or are you saying that they should not do so in a defiant and arrogant way?

Offline Rivera

• Full JTFer
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2007, 08:43:18 PM »

yes my friend, even though most of the people on this fourm are gentile we the  gentile look to the Jewish people as examples. You are to be a light unto the nations.

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2007, 08:43:54 PM »
To save a life is really THE ONLY time one is obligated to violate the Sabbath. As far as the forum being closed for holidays, that's a fine idea in and of itself, but the majority of our posters are NOT Jewish. We have a shabbos goy who can run things Tzvi.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2007, 08:50:40 PM »

I'm personally not Shomer Shabbat and respect those who are.  If Chaim recommends that the forum be shut down on those days, I would personally support it.

and yes, going on a forum on shabbat isn't saving a life. True.

But you can't make a Jew follow Shabbat the way you see fit as correct...Forcing Judaism down someone's throat is a really bad move...I recommend, from one Jew to another, don't do it...you're gonna get a secular uphieval and further divide the jewish people (unfortunately).

Offline Rivera

• Full JTFer
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2007, 08:53:04 PM »
To save a life is really THE ONLY time one is obligated to violate the Sabbath. As far as the forum being closed for holidays, that's a fine idea in and of itself, but the majority of our posters are NOT Jewish. We have a shabbos goy who can run things Tzvi.
But the owners of this fourm are Jewish so for that reason alone you should close it down for the sabbath. also the Jewish members who are using this site on the Sabbath well be protected by you if the site is closed.

Offline decimos

• Senior JTFer
    • wowheed
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2007, 08:55:43 PM »
Noahides are not permitted to observe the Sabbath,the forum should remain open to Noahides,as many of us can still do great good for the Movement if the Forum is still "up",as long as there is a Gentile Mod to over see things, whilst observent jews obey the mitzvah i cant see that as a problem.

P.S would defer this to LUBAB,just to be sure.  
And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken perversion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed thee out of the house of bondage, to draw thee aside out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put away the evil from the midst of thee.Deuteronomy 13:5.