Author Topic: Welsh Jewry  (Read 3910 times)

admin

Welsh Jewry
« on: September 18, 2007, 12:03:43 AM »
The Welsh Jewish community took form when Jews who sought to escape persecution and stifled opportunity immigrated from Russia and Eastern Europe. Today, Cardiff has 2 synagogues one of which is Orthodox. There is a Jewish kindergarten. Kosher food is sold in several shops. Jews also live in Llandudno, Newport, and Swansea.

Offline decimos

• Senior JTFer
    • wowheed
Re: Welsh Jewry
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 06:54:59 PM »
im in Swansea but the synagogue in my town does not have a Rabbi :(.bad for me..but when i go there to speak to them they are nice to me.Ive never been asked in though but i would love to listen to a prayer.Is there any ruling that syas i cant go in or must i be invited?
And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken perversion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed thee out of the house of bondage, to draw thee aside out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put away the evil from the midst of thee.Deuteronomy 13:5.

Offline decimos

• Senior JTFer
    • wowheed
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 08:15:49 PM »
Yes,im a Noahide.whats the ruling on this?
And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken perversion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed thee out of the house of bondage, to draw thee aside out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put away the evil from the midst of thee.Deuteronomy 13:5.

newman

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 08:44:48 PM »
I don't know. That's why I said you should ask Chaim.

Isn't everybody welcome at synagogue? In Brisbane everybody's welcome as long as they cover their head and don't wave crusafixes around.

Offline decimos

• Senior JTFer
    • wowheed
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 08:46:30 PM »
I will ask next time

Offline Shoshana

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 09:32:14 PM »
I don't know. That's why I said you should ask Chaim.

Isn't everybody welcome at synagogue? In Brisbane everybody's welcome as long as they cover their head and don't wave crusafixes around.

Every synagogue I've ever been to (hundreds probably from hasidic to reconstuctionist) is open to the public so long as the married women cover their hair and the guys put on kippah. Call someone from the synagogue- tell them you are interested and go ahead. You could always just go ahead on your own but them knowing might make you feel more comfortable and also they may have someone help navigate through the hebrew and explain the service to you. Hope you enjoy it!

Offline decimos

• Senior JTFer
    • wowheed
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 05:27:45 AM »
thanks for that m8

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
    • AussieJTFer's Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 05:51:28 AM »
decimos, is there some historic connection between the Welsh and Jews? I was told by a Welshman here in Australia that some Welsh people consider themselves to be from a lost tribe of Israel. Is this belief common or was this person just a nutter?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 06:20:05 AM by AussieJTFer »

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 07:02:24 AM »
The Welsh Jewish community took form when Jews who sought to escape persecution and stifled opportunity immigrated from Russia and Eastern Europe. Today, Cardiff has 2 synagogues one of which is Orthodox. There is a Jewish kindergarten. Kosher food is sold in several shops. Jews also live in Llandudno, Newport, and Swansea.

My friend came from Swansea
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline decimos

• Senior JTFer
    • wowheed
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 04:47:08 PM »
MM  i have heard this theory that Brit/Israelites exist....ill check it out for you...and I live on Swansea. ;D

Offline decimos

• Senior JTFer
    • wowheed
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 05:04:37 PM »

Offline decimos

• Senior JTFer
    • wowheed
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 07:31:48 PM »
like i said,theory.in theory the space and time is flat with chocolate buttons on.

Offline decimos

• Senior JTFer
    • wowheed
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 07:40:10 PM »
That is nonsense. There was a wacko on here promoting that. He has since been banned. The Welsh are from Gomer, a descendant of Japheth, son of Noah, not The Jews, descendants of Shem.

What am I promoting exactly? a question was asked and I responded with what I found,ie google. If you ask a Welshman or woman{such as my wife} do you think you descend from Japeth.son of Noah? You would get a funny look.I personally do not believe in any of it,that is to say the lost tribe thing...but ofc  i maybe wrong.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 07:43:01 PM »
The young Jewish children of Wales must, without question, be the most unfortunate children in the world.

Having to learn how to read those street signs in the Welsh language, and then switch instantly to learning how to read Hebrew at schul, is more than anyone should have to endure.

This has produced the psychological syndrome known as "the triple Meshugenah"!

Offline decimos

• Senior JTFer
    • wowheed
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 09:16:25 PM »
I see your point,and it valid.

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
    • AussieJTFer's Youtube Channel
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 09:18:37 PM »
Thanks for the links decimos. Interesting stuff.