Author Topic: Holidays in America for Jews?  (Read 5370 times)

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
Holidays in America for Jews?
« on: October 02, 2007, 09:14:15 PM »
Now I know Jews belong in Israel.  But as far as American holidays.. During the time you are in America, which one do you observe?
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Holidays in America for Jews?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 09:17:19 PM »
That is a very interesting question MasterWolf1.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 09:31:19 PM »
Maybe I should ask Chaim as my question for this week.. Yea, I will do that.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 09:40:42 PM »

Well we had a long discussion about Halloween, I decided it's okay.  ;D

By the way, I'm not moving to Israel, I'm an American, I don't speak hebrew and I fit in here not there.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 09:42:48 PM »
Good question.  If I have the chance, I observe them all.  Of course, overtly religious holidays like Christmas are not observed in the religious sense.  I also don't do anything special for Martin Luther King's Day.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 09:48:03 PM »

I celebrate all the holidays, I give gifts and cards to my Christain friends on Christmas, I celebrate New Years, I am thankful for America so I celebrate Thanksgiving, Memorial day is important, and Presidents Day makes for a nice long weekend.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 10:01:09 PM »
non really, but if their is a family bbq for days like 4th of July or memorial day and a family get together on new years I attend most of the time but dont really celebrate it.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 10:03:01 PM »
actually is their a way that non-Jews celebrate the non-religious holidays? I mean what I know about most holidays is that all people do is either go out and get drunk or have a bbq.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 10:06:55 PM »
There is a difference between participating and celebrating.
It's fine to participate in a 4th of july bbq or w/e but we dont celebrate such holidays because they have do not pertain to us as Jews.
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 10:07:21 PM »
actually is their a way that non-Jews celebrate the non-religious holidays? I mean what I know about most holidays is that all people do is either go out and get drunk or have a bbq.

Um sure, you simply celebrate, I grew up in a Jewish household and we celebrated Thanksgiving, my parents were immigrants and thankful to be here, very traditional, Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and of course, couscous.  ;D

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 10:44:21 PM »
Good question.  If I have the chance, I observe them all.  Of course, overtly religious holidays like Christmas are not observed in the religious sense.  I also don't do anything special for Martin Luther King's Day.

I wear my confederate flag t-shirt on MLK day  ;D

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 01:23:28 AM »
Well I sent the question to Chaim for this week's JTF, I want to hear what he has to say on the matter.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 02:21:14 AM »
Well I sent the question to Chaim for this week's JTF, I want to hear what he has to say on the matter.

He answered it in the past when I asked him. He said Jews should not celebrate any holidays except Jewish holidays. He said The Fourth of July and Thanksgiving are wonderful holidays but for Gentiles and that it is a sin for Jews to celebrate Non-Jewish holidays because it is celebrating that we are in exile.

Well I am going to see what other besides the 4th and Thanksgiving.  And no I don't mean any religous holidays.

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 02:02:40 AM »
Memorial Day.

Members of my family have fought in every American war from the Civil War through Vietnam.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 02:56:55 AM »
my family practices all ofthe Jewish holidays..but not to the same degree as observant Jews..

the american holidays we might observe is Thanksgiving...Nothing more that I can recall...

and by thanksgiving, my family gets together for a (kosher) Turkey dinner..

but with Rosh Hashana we have sedars like we do for pesach. We go to temple..i mean synogogue..on Sukkot and Shavuot..etc etc etc...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 02:58:41 AM »

I wear my confederate flag t-shirt on MLK day  ;D

awww...no need to make a statement like that...very few people, then, will take you seriously.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 03:02:18 AM »
My family also has big meals for Passover, Rosh Hashana, and Thanksgiving. In fact, it's the only holiday where the whole family comes to the same table. When my grandfather and aunt were still alive, they used to come to our house for Passover and Rosh Hashana and we went to my aunt on Thanksgiving. My grandfather died in 2004 and my aunt died last July so this Rosh Hashana, my aunt's Non-Jewish boyfriend who lived with here came to our house for Rosh Hashana and he wants to convert so he can be buried next to her, although I don't know what kind of conversion he could get with that motive for conversion.

"Be good to your neighbor and all the rest is commentary...now go learn"

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 03:33:44 AM »

He answered it in the past when I asked him. He said Jews should not celebrate any holidays except Jewish holidays. He said The Fourth of July and Thanksgiving are wonderful holidays but for Gentiles and that it is a sin for Jews to celebrate Non-Jewish holidays because it is celebrating that we are in exile.

Well I am going to see what other besides the 4th and Thanksgiving.  And no I don't mean any religious holidays.

You mentioned St. Valentine's Day which is a religious (Christan) holiday and it is unfortunate that so many Jews celebrate it.

Yes I did mention Valentine's Day but not in the sense how Christians celebrate it.  It is the holiday of love.  But is there one anything close to it on what Jews celebrate?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 08:50:10 AM »
Just groundhog day :laugh: :laugh:
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 09:41:22 AM »
Hey Mord - I just noticed you have almost 4500 posts - amazing - I think you deserve some wings for that accomplishment.  How about that - Yacov!
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 09:50:19 AM »
Hey Mord - I just noticed you have almost 4500 posts - amazing - I think you deserve some wings for that accomplishment.  How about that - Yacov!
Wow!!  4500 posts thats great to see. I can't seem to break the 2000 mark let alone get up into numbers like that. Great work mord and they are all great posts too!
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 09:56:54 AM »
   I celebrate Martin Luther King Day. Just not on Jan 15th. I celebrate it on April 4th instead. I do it by flushing his picture down the toilet.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 10:44:32 AM »

Well I am going to see what other besides the 4th and Thanksgiving.  And no I don't mean any religious holidays.

You mentioned St. Valentine's Day which is a religious (Christan) holiday and it is unfortunate that so many Jews celebrate it.

Yes I did mention Valentine's Day but not in the sense how Christians celebrate it.  It is the holiday of love.  But is there one anything close to it on what Jews celebrate?

Below there was a false statement edited for accuracies by Yacov Menashe.

Leftists claim the holiday of Tu B'Av is a "Jewish Valentine's Day" but they are such evil self-hating liars for saying that. For more information, ask Lubab about what it really is.

I never knew about this holiday until it passed by earlier this summer.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 11:03:46 AM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2007, 11:32:08 AM »
   I celebrate Martin Luther King Day. Just not on Jan 15th. I celebrate it on April 4th instead. I do it by flushing his picture down the toilet.

So then how do you celebrate Ramadan. It's still Ramadan. It's not too late.

Actually, that's a great idea. I'm going to write the word Mohammad and then flush it down the toilet! ;D

I'm going up to do it now. I'll press post as soon as I do it and by the time you'll be seeing this, Mohammad will be with his fellow urine and excrement. I'll write it on a piece of toilet paper and write the word Koran on it too! ;D

I just put it in the toilet and urinated on it but the ink smeared because I did it with a highlighter marker, the only thing I could find to write with.

you know that doesn't mean anything unless you do it in front of a Muslim.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2007, 02:55:09 PM »
But then they would kill me but they'll welcome to read this thread.

would you kill a muslim who, Gd forbid, flushed a part of the Torah scroll in front of you?