Author Topic: States reject PM's history plan  (Read 2317 times)

Kiwi

States reject PM's history plan
« on: October 11, 2007, 03:01:08 AM »
States reject PM's history plan
October 11, 2007 - 11:18AM
Source: ABC

The state and territory governments have roundly rejected a Federal Government plan to make the teaching of Australian history compulsory.

The Federal Government plans to tie the compulsory teaching of Australian history to all year nine and 10 students to the next education funding agreement with the states and territories.

Prime Minister John Howard will today release a guide to the teaching of the subject, and a copy is being sent to all state and territory leaders.

Education Minister Julie Bishop says the Federal Government wants the guide to be used to develop a compulsory curriculum for Australian history.

But state and territory leaders have rejected the plan.

Northern Territory Education Minister Paul Henderson says the Territory already has a good Australian history course.

"This sounds like a pre-election stunt from John Howard, and certainly I'm looking at outcomes from band one through to band five in front of me right now and it's pretty comprehensive, so we already do it," he said.

South Australian Education Minister Jane Lomax-Smith says the Federal Government measures are part of a phoney culture war - and are about imposing an ideology.

"It's about threats, punishment and punitive management styles and frankly it's about time we got away from this and started being more effective in rewarding good teaching, and lifting standards in other ways rather than threatening and bullying and suggesting that funds will be confiscated," she said.

Western Australia's Education Minister Mark McGowan says there is no need for the Federal Government to threaten the states funding if they do not comply.

"We're already doing it, we're already making sure the study of history is an important part of the curriculum, we're making sure that Australian history is a component of modern history, a lot of these things are already being done," he said.

The ACT Education Minister Andrew Barr says the Prime Minister should not be dictating what history is taught in schools.

"To suggest that, as the Prime Minister has, that the states and territories do not adopt the Prime Minister's guide to the teaching of Australian History that funding will be cut, I think people need to reflect on exactly what's at play there," he said.

"That's a significant level of political interference on what's being taught in our schools."

New South Wales Education Minister John Della Bosca says the announcement is laughable.

"It's laughable because the New South Wales Government has made Australian history compulsory many years ago, we are the only state with this rigorous curriculum - Mr Howard's own state - it just shows how out of touch he really is," he said.

"John Howard goes on about Simpson and his donkey - well he is holding this announcement today at a school during school holidays, so that means I think that John Howard has more in common with the donkey than John Kirkpatrick Simpson."

Also, History Teachers' Association of Australia national president, Paul Kiem, says the lack of consultation with teachers could backfire.

"The danger has always been that a small group would draw up a list of content and impose it on schools," he said.

"A list of content is not a fully developed curriculum. It has the potential to be a great thing for the teaching of Australian history and the standing of Australian history in schools.

"It also has the potential to have a negative impact if it turns out to be difficult to implement."

Another step in killing off the Australia culture by dismissing the history of the nation  >:(

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
    • AussieJTFer's Youtube Channel
Re: States reject PM's history plan
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 03:16:59 AM »
Well the states and territories are all labor are they not? Wait until after november when the rudd/gillard tag team of death are elected into power by the hordes of imbecilic australian voters who want Howard out because it's time for "change". A labor federal government, welcome back to the days of mass immigration, stifling trade unions and an overblown federal budget for little return.

Kiwi

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 06:36:47 AM »
I am not sure but I think they could be all labour  ??? I know Tassie is, we are, NSW yes, but the others I wouldn't know off hand.

I know that lebo Bracks wants back in  :-\

We are sooo going down the crapper.

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 06:14:16 PM »
All the states are labor.

Kiwi

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 06:45:48 PM »
Well  :(

Labour f@cks everything it touches, explains the vast amount of why we are failing as a nation.

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 01:32:02 AM »
Yes we're both in Victoria.

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 02:02:26 AM »
Yeh I'm born and raised in Melbourne. The Jewish community here is the biggest one in the country, bigger than Sydney's and probably more religious and Zionist than Sydney's, not to the point of Kahanism but still Zionist. Australian Jews, even the secular ones in general are very Zionist in comparison to American Jews who from what I have observed just don't care. We do however have our self-hating retards but they are in the minority.
Would you happen to still have this girl's email address still? I am looking for a local Jewish woman.

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 02:56:09 AM »
Good on her for making aliyah.

Kiwi

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 09:57:07 PM »
I am not sure but I think they could be all labour  ??? I know Tassie is, we are, NSW yes, but the others I wouldn't know off hand.

I know that lebo Bracks wants back in  :-\

We are sooo going down the crapper.

What state are you in, Victoria?

Yes I live in Victoria.

Kiwi

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 09:59:13 PM »
Yeh I'm born and raised in Melbourne.

You are just up the road from me, give or take 45 minutes.

Kiwi

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 01:04:41 AM »
Does NZ have states too? Where are you from there?

New Zealand doesn't have any divison in its people, just one government thats it. The whole of New Zealand is only 4 million people.

We have North Island, South Island and little Steward Island (which many forget about).

I am born in the North up west coast, a place called Gisborne.

Kiwi

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 02:57:00 AM »
No New Zealand has now of that, its only tiny. We do have councils, that deal with local laws such as parking fines, but its one law over the whole country.

Australia is made up of six States three Territories, Victoria, Tasmania, New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Northern Territory and little known Jervis Bay Territory ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jervis_Bay_Territory )

Every state and territory has its own laws, and governing party. The Federal Government of Australia controls all national issues

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 04:02:19 AM »
Jervis Bay is practically the ACT in that it follows ACT law and ACT elections and part of the federal ACT electorates.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 04:06:28 AM by AussieJTFer »

Kiwi

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 05:39:10 AM »
No New Zealand has now of that, its only tiny. We do have councils, that deal with local laws such as parking fines, but its one law over the whole country.

Australia is made up of six States three Territories, Victoria, Tasmania, New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Northern Territory and little known Jervis Bay Territory ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jervis_Bay_Territory )

Every state and territory has its own laws, and governing party. The Federal Government of Australia controls all national issues

I learned about the states and and territories of Australia in Social Studies in 6th Grade. I never heard of Jervis Bay though.

What are the sub-state levels in Australia?

Is NZ like Israel? Israel has districts and below that it has cities, local councils, and regional councils. The districts are administrative areas of the national government.

Yes NZ is like Israel.

http://me.essortment.com/australiangover_rbpt.htm this outlines the government structure.