Author Topic: Why do Chilonim call today Sylvester?  (Read 791 times)

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Why do Chilonim call today Sylvester?
« on: January 01, 2024, 03:52:27 AM »
Wasn't Sylvester some Jew hating Pope? I do not get the connection or understand why they call it this.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Why do Chilonim call today Sylvester?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 12:01:11 PM »
Self-hating Jews in Israel insist on calling it "Sylvester", therefore celebrating an Xtian holiday. I heard that Haredim during the British Mandate wanted to discourage people from celebrating the Solar New Year so they looked to see what Xtian holiday fell then and found Sylvester's saint day, which honors an Anti-Semite. It ended up backfiring because not only do Jews still celebrate it, but do so as an Xtian holiday, which is an act of idolatry.

It's just like they call Tu B'Av "Jewish Valentine's Day" or "Chag Ha'Ahavah". They also call the party in honor of a baby daughter "brita". The word brit is already in the feminine. They should say Simchat Bat or Zeved HaBat. They also say epple rather than apple. It would be much closer if they pronounced it like the a in abba. They need re-education. If you tell them, they will forget or still use the wrong words.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 12:02:23 PM »
Wasn't Sylvester some Jew hating Pope? I do not get the connection or understand why they call it this.

I think December 31 is his saint day. It has nothing to do with the New Year. January 1 is a separate day regardless.

Offline Nachus

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 11:40:19 PM »
 :usa+israel:                                                                                                                       :fist:

All excellent points.Though there are
  so many other vital issues plaguing the
  Holy Land.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 06:55:18 AM »
Self-hating Jews in Israel insist on calling it "Sylvester", therefore celebrating an Xtian holiday. I heard that Haredim during the British Mandate wanted to discourage people from celebrating the Solar New Year so they looked to see what Xtian holiday fell then and found Sylvester's saint day, which honors an Anti-Semite. It ended up backfiring because not only do Jews still celebrate it, but do so as an Xtian holiday, which is an act of idolatry.

It's just like they call Tu B'Av "Jewish Valentine's Day" or "Chag Ha'Ahavah". They also call the party in honor of a baby daughter "brita". The word brit is already in the feminine. They should say Simchat Bat or Zeved HaBat. They also say epple rather than apple. It would be much closer if they pronounced it like the a in abba. They need re-education. If you tell them, they will forget or still use the wrong words.
Isn't a brita like FGM? (Hashem Yishmor)

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 09:45:25 PM »
Isn't a brita like FGM? (Hashem Yishmor)

What is that?

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2024, 05:24:18 AM »