Author Topic: Was Abraham from the city of Ur?  (Read 538 times)

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
Was Abraham from the city of Ur?
« on: February 26, 2024, 12:27:53 AM »
If Abraham was from Ur wouldn't that make the Jews Sumerian ( Ur was a city in Sumeria, Mesopotamia).  Therefore the Jews are Sumerian and not Semitic, or at least until they intermarried with local Semitic tribes after Abraham entered Israel. Remember,  the Sumerian language is NOT Semitic. I believe it is not Indo-European either.

Online Hrvatski Noahid

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Was Abraham from the city of Ur?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 01:29:59 AM »
Sumerian is not a Torah law category. The true identity of a person is Jew or Gentile.
Gentiles are obligated to fulfill the Seven Noahide Commandments because they are the eternal command of God, transmitted through Moses our teacher in the Torah. The main and best book on details of Noahide observance is "The Divine Code" by Rabbi Moshe Weiner.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCffOR1kc1bBK9HwP8kQdSXg
Telegram: https://t.me/JewishTaskForceChat
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Noachide/

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 02:36:29 PM »
The name "Ur Qasdim" ("Ur of the Chaldean" is anachronistic, because the Chaldean (AKA the neo Babylonians) were not in that place if at the time of Abraham which would be the old Babylonian (Hammurabi). However in my opinion that very name indicates that it is the the city of Ur in southern Mesopotamia and not Urfa.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 02:43:58 PM »
As for the ethnicity and the language-- The Sumerians were not the only inhabitants of Mesopotamia or the fertile crescent. In fact it is quite obvious that the majority of the population was Semmites. The Sumerians may have been majority of city dwellers in southern Mesopotamia but nobody can really tell. By the time of Abraham the Semitic and Sumerian people were fairly mixed and integrated. Moreover the Hebrew language is considered western Semitic (basically a branch off of Canaanite) as opposed to Akkadian and other eastern Semitic languages.

Online Hrvatski Noahid

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 02:55:21 PM »
As for the ethnicity and the language-- The Sumerians were not the only inhabitants of Mesopotamia or the fertile crescent. In fact it is quite obvious that the majority of the population was Semmites. The Sumerians may have been majority of city dwellers in southern Mesopotamia but nobody can really tell. By the time of Abraham the Semitic and Sumerian people were fairly mixed and integrated. Moreover the Hebrew language is considered western Semitic (basically a branch off of Canaanite) as opposed to Akkadian and other eastern Semitic languages.

Do you have access to a Hebrew etymological dictionary? I would be amazed if Hebrew comes from Canaanite as opposed to Proto-Semitic.
Gentiles are obligated to fulfill the Seven Noahide Commandments because they are the eternal command of God, transmitted through Moses our teacher in the Torah. The main and best book on details of Noahide observance is "The Divine Code" by Rabbi Moshe Weiner.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 03:07:31 PM »
If Abraham was from Ur wouldn't that make the Jews Sumerian ( Ur was a city in Sumeria, Mesopotamia).  Therefore the Jews are Sumerian and not Semitic, or at least until they intermarried with local Semitic tribes after Abraham entered Israel. Remember,  the Sumerian language is NOT Semitic. I believe it is not Indo-European either.

The Jews did not marry the locals in Eretz Yisrael. Also, the local Canaanites were Hamitic, not Semitic. Issac and Jacob got wives from Haran. Also, Abraham lived in Haran after Ur before coming to Eretz Yisrael.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 03:13:25 PM »

See my comments at https://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,94350.0.html.

Canaanite languages are Hamitic. Wikipedia thinks Caananite is a group of Semitic languages. None of the language it includes on the list are Canaanite. If you hold that Hebrew is Canaanite, you basically are saying "Jews are fake and a made up people invented by a group of Canaanites". That's what those people believe.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 04:07:01 PM »
I am not a linguist. As far as I know (from wikipedia, as well my recollection from experts like Israel Knohl) Hebrew is a member of the west semitic languages but whether it is or isn't doesn't seem to me a question of faith or inconsistency with the Torah.
Do you have access to a Hebrew etymological dictionary? I would be amazed if Hebrew comes from Canaanite as opposed to Proto-Semitic.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 04:18:30 PM »
Still it doesn't tell you much about the ethnicity of the Hebrews up to Abraham. You only have a male lineage which is insignificant in percentage term to to the full genealogy.
Theoretically You can be over 99.99% sub-saharan African but your direct male lineage come a Nordic ancestor.

Also there are MANY ethnic groups whose spoken language originated from a different ethnic group.

The Jews did not marry the locals in Eretz Yisrael. Also, the local Canaanites were Hamitic, not Semitic. Issac and Jacob got wives from Haran. Also, Abraham lived in Haran after Ur before coming to Eretz Yisrael.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 04:24:58 PM »
Whether linguists categorize Hebrew as west semitic or east semitic is a mute point. Jews have been around and speaking and writing Hebrew in Eretz Israel for over 3500 years. I have a lot of confidence in our past and our future.

See my comments at https://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,94350.0.html.

Canaanite languages are Hamitic. Wikipedia thinks Caananite is a group of Semitic languages. None of the language it includes on the list are Canaanite. If you hold that Hebrew is Canaanite, you basically are saying "Jews are fake and a made up people invented by a group of Canaanites". That's what those people believe.

Online Hrvatski Noahid

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 08:16:58 PM »
I am not a linguist. As far as I know (from wikipedia, as well my recollection from experts like Israel Knohl) Hebrew is a member of the west semitic languages but whether it is or isn't doesn't seem to me a question of faith or inconsistency with the Torah.

The Semitic classification is fine. Shem, the son of Noah, was completely righteous.

But the Canaanite classification sounds offensive. Maimonides wrote the seven nations of Canaan are the prime worshipers and original source of idolatry.

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2024, 11:53:15 PM »
Is it true that jews share DNA with the Arabs in Israel?   I'm also wondering which genetic marker would show that someone is descended from Sumerians. I know ultimately jews are mixed ( just look at Goldie Hawn) but I'm wondering about those first Jews...grandchildren of Abraham and their children etc

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2024, 03:35:33 AM »
The vast majority of Arab muslim nazis in Israel parasitized the holy land in the last 120 years and are not closely related to Jews. The came from Egypt, Syria, the Sudan, among many other places in the ME and NA and the Ottoman empire. There are possibly small groups of Arabs who originated from forcibly converted Jews some generations ago. The one I am aware of is an extended family in the Judean desert.
There are some eccentric Jews (Zvi Mesinai, and perhaps some few others) who say that The Afghans are Jews and the Nigerians are Jews etc. and they count literally hundreds of millions of people around the world as Jews or Israelits and especially the fakenstinians. Obviously this is total rubbish.

Is it true that jews share DNA with the Arabs in Israel?   I'm also wondering which genetic marker would show that someone is descended from Sumerians. I know ultimately jews are mixed ( just look at Goldie Hawn) but I'm wondering about those first Jews...grandchildren of Abraham and their children etc

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2024, 03:44:41 AM »
By the way the Arabs are the biggest racists out there (perhaps tied with Africans). You might go ans ask Bedouins in the Negev if they are Fakenstinians, they'll tell you 100% yes. But the "white" ones would never marry with the "black" ones. But its not just the Bedouins, its also one Hamula (inbred extended family) won't marry with another village or town because they consider themselves more pristine or whatever. You gotta marry your double cousin who is also your half sister...
Only exception is they would marry a real white woman if they can somehow "acquire" one.

Offline Nachus

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2024, 05:47:37 AM »
 :usa+israel:                                                                                                                         :fist:

Abraham apparently was from Ur which
  was Mesopotamia, also referred to as
  (ancient southern Babylon, modern day ‘Iraq.’)