Author Topic: Study: Egg yolks almost as dangerous as smoking cigarettes  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
Re: Study: Egg yolks almost as dangerous as smoking cigarettes
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 01:01:45 PM »
If eggs are your only source of vitamins you already have a dietary problem to begin with.
That chart shows there are plenty of nutrients in egg whites.

I don't quite understand your argument. Who ever said anything about only eating eggs? I simply said that by throwing away the yolk you throw away most of the nutrients, not all, since egg whites contain some, most. That charts confirms my point.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 01:04:08 PM »
The yolk contains most of the nutrition in the egg, and most of the flavor. I don't think there's enough evidence to show that eating cholesterol raises serum cholesterol.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 07:02:36 AM »
I just got some info on the "study" referred to in this thread. Apparently it wasn't so much a study as it was a survey based on peoples' self reported eating habits. It seems like there was no control over isolating variables. So basically someone was asked how many egg yolks they ate but was not asked whether they smoked, ate excessive amounts of sugar, ate high levels of trans fats, drank excessively, etc. Sounds like a bit of a flawed study to me.
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 09:13:53 AM »
Any such egg eating and artery scale deposition studies shall be done only on the persons who have cholesterol levels less than 200 mg/dL Units (Max limit 240 mg/dL Units). Only then the justification of such studies can be established.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 04:01:07 PM »
If all you ever eat is eggs, you will die of numerous deficiencies. Anyone will trade an egg for an apple and a bit of rice, so you'll survive. Is that a straw man attack?

I have no idea what you just said or how it relates to what I wrote.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 04:03:16 PM »
I don't quite understand your argument. Who ever said anything about only eating eggs? I simply said that by throwing away the yolk you throw away most of the nutrients, not all, since egg whites contain some, most. That charts confirms my point.

I said what I said because you are implying that the yolk contains most or all of the NUTRIENTS.    But looking at the chart you provided, that is clearly not the case.   The yolk contains many vitamins and some minerals, but these are usually acquired from other sources of food anyway, in plenty of abundance.  The chart you provided shows that there are still plenty of nutrients in the egg white.    It is a good source of protein, for instance (even though less grams than are in a yolk - that still doesn't make it lack protein!  An egg white still has more high quality protein packed into it than most other foods).

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 06:58:48 AM »
I said what I said because you are implying that the yolk contains most or all of the NUTRIENTS.    But looking at the chart you provided, that is clearly not the case.   The yolk contains many vitamins and some minerals, but these are usually acquired from other sources of food anyway, in plenty of abundance.  The chart you provided shows that there are still plenty of nutrients in the egg white.    It is a good source of protein, for instance (even though less grams than are in a yolk - that still doesn't make it lack protein!  An egg white still has more high quality protein packed into it than most other foods).

Yeah, no argument there from me. I was not implying that the yolks are everything and the whites are nothing. I basically agree with Rubystars comment regarding  lack of evidence showing that eating cholesterol raises serum cholesterol. As such I just think that throwing away half an egg is a waste of nutrition and money.
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 07:06:24 AM »
I just ate two boiled eggs this morning! *watches the clock* I'm still here!!! Yay!  8)

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 11:37:15 AM »
I just ate two boiled eggs this morning! *watches the clock* I'm still here!!! Yay!  8)

Oh, oh, better schedule a couple of hours of cardio this afternoon. :o
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 11:45:51 AM »
Oh, oh, better schedule a couple of hours of cardio this afternoon. :o

Well considering I'm going to be going to work tonight, I'll probably be asleep this afternoon!

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 11:47:29 AM »
Let's pour money into raising an egg farm and a tobacco farm to nurture the poor, hungry "Palestinians". We will feed them as many cigarettes to smoke and eggs to eat as possible. Whatever happens, happens.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2012, 02:12:41 PM »
Yeah, no argument there from me. I was not implying that the yolks are everything and the whites are nothing. I basically agree with Rubystars comment regarding  lack of evidence showing that eating cholesterol raises serum cholesterol. As such I just think that throwing away half an egg is a waste of nutrition and money.

Perhaps.  I'm also not convinced yet on this subject but plan to look into it further at some point.