Author Topic: How religious will a Jewish Israel be?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
How religious will a Jewish Israel be?
« on: October 26, 2007, 05:27:18 PM »
Dexter brought up a great point and I wanted to open a new thread for this subject.

We have very observant Jews and less observant Jews who practice adquate Judaism.  We have 1000's of different traditions and all kinds of fences that are not in the Torah but man-made (by wise humble men, but are, neverthless men). 

When and if Israel becomes a religious state, to what degree should it be religious?  There are so many rules that go with each of the 613 commandments...and there are a lot of fences.

Also, interpretations of rules change with the times.  I'm not saying the Torah law changes...the words are the words..but how we see the meaning of these words do change...just like the way society changes.  So how dynamic will a religious Jewish state be?  I believe that just as we have in our society, progressives and traditionalists, we will have rabbis who will follow under those categories...some who are far in progressive realm while another will be far in the opposite extreme with some in the middle.

All I have to say is that if there are going to be 70 of them...and all of them very wise...I know that Israel will be in very good hands with those types of judges instead of what exists today.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: How religious will a Jewish Israel be?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 11:28:42 PM »
Chaim has said that these decisions will all be made by the Sanhedrin, in gradual increments, and will depend on if and how much the Israeli people are ready for them.

I am positive that he would make Israel into a religious state, but am also positive that he would never stand for government going to the extremes of the Saudis or Taliban. In other words--I do not think that Kahanism would create a national Shabbat police that will enter peoples' homes to make sure they are resting, but they would make sure all businesses close for the Sabbath.

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
Re: How religious will a Jewish Israel be?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 11:40:55 PM »
Chaim has said that these decisions will all be made by the Sanhedrin, in gradual increments, and will depend on if and how much the Israeli people are ready for them.

I am positive that he would make Israel into a religious state, but am also positive that he would never stand for government going to the extremes of the Saudis or Taliban. In other words--I do not think that Kahanism would create a national Shabbat police that will enter peoples' homes to make sure they are resting, but they would make sure all businesses close for the Sabbath.

I agree. I think that we have to make Israel a religious state but we don't G-d forbid want to have a civil war over this. Any legitimate interpretation will be excepted. For example the rice on passover issue with the Sefaradim, I think that even an Ashkenazi would be permitted to eat rice since it isnt against Torah law and it is only custom not to eat rice.
KAHANE TZADAK!