Author Topic: Nuclear Reactor in your own back yard  (Read 4233 times)

Kiwi

Nuclear Reactor in your own back yard
« on: November 05, 2007, 07:46:00 AM »

Anyone in favor of this?

« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 07:48:39 AM by The Infidel. »

newman

Re: Nuclear Reactor in your own back yard
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 08:09:56 AM »
I'm more worried about the nuclear waste dump for other countries they want to put here. If Howard had better polls, he'd have allowed it!

Why do WE need a nuclear plant when we've got enough cole in this country for 1,000 years and clean cole technology is now available?

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
    • AussieJTFer's Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 07:46:32 PM »
100% in favour of nuclear power in Australia. We have all the uranium we need here and 3/4 of the continent is barren wasteland that lies nowhere near any tectonic fault lines which would be perfect to bury the waste. Nuclear power is extremely more efficient than coal in terms of a gram of the fuel per wattage of output, therefore there is also no excuse to not build the "power hungry" desalinisation plants to offset the country's water shortage. I am also sceptical of how "clean" clean coal really is in comparison to water vapour.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 12:24:51 AM by AussieJTFer »

Kiwi

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 04:15:26 AM »
I am not a supporter at all of it, due to there is other sources of renewable energy, solar power and wind power. Australia is a large flat sun burnt land ideal for this types of systems to be used.

Nuclear no, due to damage if something goes wrong with the reactor, and the waste disposal issues as well.

newman

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 04:24:34 AM »
I am not a supporter at all of it, due to there is other sources of renewable energy, solar power and wind power. Australia is a large flat sun burnt land ideal for this types of systems to be used.

Nuclear no, due to damage if something goes wrong with the reactor, and the waste disposal issues as well.

The waste IS the problem. It's with us (and dangerous) for ever and ever and ever. That genie should stay in the bottle.

Kiwi

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 04:52:11 AM »
What if it goes boom, I said that was a problem too. ???

newman

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 04:59:18 AM »
What if it goes boom, I said that was a problem too. ???

Europe with little sun for half the year and not nuch spare land or resources may have a need.

But Australia?

Huge coastline for wind and tide/wave power.

Huge open deserts with constant 50 degree sun for solar.

Almost unlimited coal and clean coal technology available.

Even the lawn clippings and domestic garbage in our cities would feed a big bio-mass generator.

I just can't justify nuclear here.

Kiwi

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 06:39:23 AM »
Plus I don't wish to have childern with three arms, five eyes and an extra bum hole  :-\

If I did I would move to Tasmania  :::D

Which by the way is the only state on the map not earmarked for a reactor.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 06:41:08 AM by The Infidel. »

newman

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 06:48:58 AM »
It'll be political suicide for any party to build one. I suppose a labour government would build one in a safe National Party seat. ;D

Kiwi

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 06:59:53 AM »
If it was a national party they just burn muslims instead of coal.

newman

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 07:02:40 AM »

Now there's a thought!

Talk about using stuff we've got plenty of for alternate fuel! :D

Then again......they might burn kiwis if that's the case. ;)

Kiwi

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 07:15:43 AM »

Now there's a thought!

Arrrh ha so it was you! Now I know you are who created this pic.

They are only little birds ................that taste like chicken  :(

newman

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 07:19:37 AM »

Now there's a thought!

Arrrh ha so it was you! Now I know you are who created this pic.

They are only little birds ................that taste like chicken  :(

Post-Ansette no doubt.

Kiwi

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 07:25:37 AM »
It was send to me in a hate email but I kinda thought it was funny, but I have a weird sense of humour.

newman

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 07:29:52 AM »
It was send to me in a hate email but I kinda thought it was funny, but I have a weird sense of humour.

I thought a Kiwi eats roots and leaves. :::D

Kiwi

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 07:44:50 AM »

I thought a Kiwi eats roots and leaves. :::D

Nope thats  a wombat silly.  :P

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 12:22:39 AM »
Solar and wind power is inefficient and isn't going to provide for a substantial replacement for coal power. Add to this the water crisis and how desalinisation is pretty much going to be with us in a few years, Nuclear Power is the only option. Nuclear waste buried deep beneath the earth thousands of kilometers from any civilian population in the middle of the continent really shouldn't be an issue, the centre of the continent is nowhere near any tectonic fault lines nor is there a lack of room to store it. Greens types who even object to wind power due to them hindering the flight path of migratory birds and other moronic arguments that they come up with should be not even be given the light of day on this issue.

Kiwi

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 12:37:35 AM »
I just had visions of all these birds being chopped up by the wind farm.

Pooofff Feathers every where  ;D

Sorry I know its sick  :-\

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 12:38:44 AM »
The threat of a nuclear reactor meltdown is unsubstantiated. There are currently 440 nuclear power plants in operation throughtout the world and all are built to be absolutely foolproof. The Chernobyl disaster has scarred everyone regarding nuclear power. Badly designed, poorly built reactors like the Chernobyl reactor are not built anymore. Nuclear waste emissions also makes up around 1% of total industrial emissions worldwide and for 50 years the waste has been handled and stored safely without any incident. A petrol tanker is more of a safety hazard than nuclear waste in transit. If countries like Vietnam and Chile are going nuclear, then it is an indictment on Australia that we aren't either. Clean coal will never be as "clean" as nuclear, the dirty emissions are merely diverted elsewhere. The technology to capture the CO2 emissions has also not been developed.
Solar and wind can be used alongside nuclear power but it will never be able to solely provide all of our energy.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 12:40:18 AM by AussieJTFer »

Kiwi

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 12:44:23 AM »
The fact is its not 100% safe and to me nuclear power needs to be that.

Its not like a fire that can be put out. We are talking hundreds of years damage if they make a mistake. I think too much of a risk.

newman

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 01:06:24 AM »
The fact is its not 100% safe and to me nuclear power needs to be that.

Its not like a fire that can be put out. We are talking hundreds of years damage if they make a mistake. I think too much of a risk.

I agree.

A screw up with any other type of energy can be fixed. A screw up (no matter how remote the possibility) with nuclear is a permanent disaster.

Also keep in the mind that overseas countries were pressuring Australia to build a waste dump for their nuclear stuff! The government was sympathetic and only declined because of political pressure. If we have our own nuclear waste, It'll be harder to object.

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 01:44:02 AM »
They are 100% safe, there is no way that a nuclear reactor can blow up with the technology they have today.

newman

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 01:53:34 AM »
They are 100% safe, there is no way that a nuclear reactor can blow up with the technology they have today.

They can melt down if there is an engineering problem. NOTHING more complex than a crowbar is beyond breakdown, human error or faulty material.

Kiwi

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 02:39:49 AM »
Terrorist with a bomb fetish

Kiwi

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2007, 08:21:15 PM »
Govt nuclear dump plan 'one-sided'

Anti-nuclear campaigners say traditional owners need to hear both sides of the argument about building a nuclear dump at Muckaty station, near Tennant Creek in the Northern Territory.

The Federal Government is considering the site for a nuclear waste facility and the Northern Land Council supports the site's selection, saying traditional Ngapa landowners also welcome it.

But anti-nuclear campaigners say they will be trying to give the public access to information about the waste dump proposal at a meeting in Tennant Creek today.

The Arid Lands Environment Centre says the Federal Government and the Northern Land Council have presented a one-sided proposal to Muckaty's traditional owners.

Nuclear campaigner Dr Jim Green says their request to hold a public debate was denied, so they will be presenting their concerns this afternoon at Tennant Creek Training Centre.

"The main reasons for that concern are the Government's track record of mismanaging nuclear projects and the worst example of that is the Maralinga nuclear test site in South Australia," he said.

"There is literally tonnes of plutonium-contaminated debris buried in shallow unlined pits in totally unsuitable geology."

A spokesman for Federal Science Minister Julie Bishop says the site assessment process will be completed by early next year.

http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/11/08/2084916.htm