Author Topic: Hey Activists - How to Promote JTF on Craigslist  (Read 1330 times)

Offline WestCoastJTF

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Senior JTFer
Hey Activists - How to Promote JTF on Craigslist
« on: November 21, 2007, 10:39:57 PM »
Here are step-by-step instructions for promoting JTF on Craigslist.

Craigslist (CL) is an Internet "classified ads" site that is very popular.  They also have a "rants" section where people can discuss whatever they want.  CL is not the ultimate way to promote JTF, but it does reach millions and is easy to do.  I do all of my JTF promoting while watching TV in the evening.  CL is completely anonymous - your email address and name are never displayed.

Part One: Register on Craigslist.  You can do things without registering, but it's easier and will allow you to track your notices. 

To register: Go to https://accounts.craigslist.org/login/signup.  Enter your email address and the CAPTCHA (the "verification image").  Click Create Account.  Go to your email and click the link you find there.  You will be taken to a page where you can choose a password.  Do so.  Then click that you accept their terms and conditions.  Wah-lah, you now have a CL account.

Part Two: Promote JTF!

Before you start, I suggest you gather two things:
  • a video you want to promote and copy the URL (http://www.liveleak.com/...etc. address) so you can paste it into the ad.  This makes submitting ads faster.
  • a piece of artwork you want to include.  People looking at CL ads often look at those with art attached first.  You can go to jtf.org and right-click on any piece of art there and Save Picture As... 

1. Go to http://www.craigslist.org.  On the right, you'll see a list of cities, states, and countries.  Pick any city to start.  It does not have to be a city you live in.  Obviously, bigger is better, but on the other hand, there's more traffic on the bigger cities.  Once you click on the city, nothing will look different on the screen except the name of the city at the top will change.

2. Now click "post to classifieds" in the upper left.

3. You'll be asked to select a category - select "personal/romance". 

4. Select the "rant and rave" subcategory.

5. Now you can be a little creative.  You need to put something in the title and something in the body of the ad.  Important: CL has filters that will not let you put the same text over and over in different cities.  Each ad must be different, but they can be very similar.  Let's say you want to promote the Ron Paul video.  Here is how you could do it:

CityTitleBody
MinneapolisI won't vote for Ron Paul because......he's a racist.  See for yourself: (video link)
ChicagoRon Paul is bad news because......he's an Anti-Semite  Proof: (video link)
AtlantaBefore you get excited about Ron Paul......keep in mind his dark past: (video link)

...etcetera.  Little variations.  You can write more, of course. 

For the "specific location" you can put anything.  If you're posting in Chicago, just put Chicago, or put USA or whatever you like.  Click "Add/Edit Images" and browse to the piece of art you want to include.

6. Click Continue and review your add.  Enter the CAPTCHA and click Continue.  You'll then see a message that your ad will be live in about 15 minutes.

Lather, rinse, repeat.  Go back to the main CL site and repeat this process in more cities.

For each ad, you'll get a confirmation in your email box.  You can also click on My Account on the main CL page to see all of your ads.

A couple things might happen with your ads:
  • Someone might "flag" them.  These are evil people who want to stifle our message.  Nothing you can do about that.  It takes several "flags" for an ad to be removed.  I posted 14 CLs this afternoon - by evening, one of them had been flagged and it was in a liberal, big city.
  • Someone might respond to the ad.  If they do, you'll get an email in your inbox (still anonymous - your email is not revealed, though theirs is).  You can choose whether or not you want to respond.

Your ads will eventually expire and be removed (scroll off) CL in 14 days.

A few final notes:
  • Remember, there are other sites out there!  CL is just one example.  You can post brief blurbs about JTF on ANY Internet message board.  You never know when you'll reach that next great JTF member.
  • You can post about ANY video or even just JTF.org.  I'm just using Ron Paul as an example.

That's all there is to it!  It's really easy to get into a rhythm and do a bunch at once while watching TV or something, so get crackin', JTFers!

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
Re: Hey Activists - How to Promote JTF on Craigslist
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 02:34:19 AM »
Great explanation!
Also remember that every City has a politics section. I have not tried posting there yet. Not as popular as Rants and Raves but more targeted.

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 02:56:20 AM »
Craigslist has a morality crisis so it would seem a little odd if JTF were to actually get positive support in posting on that site. 

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 12:49:44 PM »
Yes, I was thinking it would be more productive to post in the politics section there...

The RnR section, is full of profanity, etc. Horrible place.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 12:59:29 PM »
Yes, I was thinking it would be more productive to post in the politics section there...

Hanna,

I have to agree with you about this one.
There is some pretty shady stuff posted there.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 01:05:47 PM »

Hanna,

I have to agree with you about this one.
There is some pretty shady stuff posted there.

yeah, I wish that they would just delete that section. it is worthless, basically.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל