Author Topic: Israel becoming less secular  (Read 4286 times)

Offline Gruzinit

• Senior JTFer
Israel becoming less secular
« on: November 22, 2007, 07:15:44 PM »
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/124345

Israel Becoming Less Secular
by Hillel Fendel

(IsraelNN.com) An Israel Democratic Institute (IDI) demographic survey finds religious growth and secular decline - but most significant is that the proportion of religious in the public is highest among the youth.

The percentage of Jews describing themselves as secular has dropped sharply over the past 30 years, while the religious and traditional proportions have risen.  The annual survey finds that the secular public comprises only 20% of the Israeli population - compared to 41%, more than twice as much, in 1974.

Nearly half the population, 47%, describes itself as traditional, while the hareidi-religious and religious-Zionist together comprise 33% of the public.

The numbers were compiled based on a survey of representative sampling of 1,016 Israelis Jews. 

Tradition Reigns
Over the past seven years, according to IDI statistics, the proportion of secular Jews has dropped sharply from 32% to 20% today.  The "traditionalists" have traditionally had the lead in polls of this nature - except for one year in 1974, when they trailed the seculars, 41% to 38%. 

Other findings show that the Sephardic population is much more traditional and religious than the Ashkenazic sector.  Ashkenazic Jews are those originating from European (Christian) countries, whereas Sephardic Jews lived in the Iberian Peninsula (now Spain and Portugal), African and Middle Eastern (Moslem) countries. Only 7% of the Sephardim describe themselves as secular, compared to 36% of the Ashkenazim.  At the same time, 56% of the Sephardim are religious or hareidi, compared to only 17% of the Ashkenazim.

39% of those under age 40 are religious - more than those in their 40's and 50's (32%), and much more than those aged 60 and over (20%). 

It can be inferred from the numbers that Israel is a traditional society, and that it will become even more so as the years go by. 

Country is Right-Wing; the Religious - Even More So
Politically, the religious are more right-wing, but so are the others.  Among the religious, many more identify with the right than with the left, by a 71-8 margin; among the traditional, it's 49-21, and among the secular, it's 43-27.  In total, 55% of the population view themselves as right-wing, and only 18% are to the left.
The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money. – Alexis de Tocqueville

Communism is like prohibition, it's a good idea but it won't work. - Will Rogers

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Israel becoming less secular
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 07:21:08 PM »
Nice, but one day it will be 100% religious and right wing.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Electra

• Full JTFer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 07:23:08 PM »
Few countries in Europe should take lessons from Israel.
~Ne mogu nam nauditi, ni gromovi ni oluje, navik'o je Srpski narod da slobodu krvlju kuje~

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 07:32:05 PM »
I hope it does'nt effect the IDF although National Relgious make the best soldiers
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 07:35:17 PM »
that's because all of the religious jews are havign tons of kids, thank Gd.

and tzvi is right..eventually it will be 100% right wing religious zionist...and will be, Gd willing, successful pushing out the Arabs
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 07:46:54 PM »
Israel is a Jewish State, it shouldn't be secular
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 07:53:22 PM »

Yes we will become a mass movement the religious Jews are reproducing at a massive rate and secular Jews are dwindling in numbers. It's only a matter of time. We need to keep up the pressure to keep the holy lands of Judah and Samaria
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 07:56:19 PM »

Yes we will become a mass movement the religious Jews are reproducing at a massive rate and secular Jews are dwindling in numbers. It's only a matter of time. We need to keep up the pressure to keep the holy lands of Judah and Samaria
Let alone, Jerusalem and the Golan, which Olmert would get rid of, in exchange for a piece of paper. If I was Prime Minister I would give Arabs pieces of paper and they could give ME land
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »

+ many Jews are returning to Judaism.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 08:10:34 PM »

Yes I am one of them I was working on Saturday and eating Pork and meat with dairy upuntil about 3 years ago it's been a long journey and I am glad I took it. Thank G-d
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 08:17:45 PM »

True, but also when the secular have 2 kids on average and the religious have 6-8.

It won't be long before secularism is literally breeded out of existence.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 08:54:53 PM »
Although secular Jews are the most obsessed with sex, the religious Jews have them beat on actual breeding.  Within a generation or so, Israel should become fertile ground for a Kahanist Prime Minister.  The actions of the Muslim world push it even more in that direction.

Prime minister? no wayyy. We will have a Sanhedrin, and maybe a King by then.

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 09:58:58 PM »
I don't think we should have a king we should have a Kahinst Party which the people can then decide who is the best. Israel should always be place where all Jews have a say.
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 10:00:14 PM »

One can only hope! :)

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 10:02:51 PM »

One can only hope! :)

No, thats not enough. One day it will happen, but the question is what does ever individual do to help bring that about. We are living in a generation where we all have that opportunity my brother.

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 10:17:26 PM »
I will run for office in Israel when I live there. I am 22 now within 15 years I will live there Kahinsts will love me.
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh