Author Topic: Noachide pledge of faith?  (Read 2723 times)

newman

Noachide pledge of faith?
« on: November 28, 2007, 04:52:05 AM »
Like a noachide shahadda.

I don't know if there's such a thing, but how's this for one?

"There is NO G_d but HaShem. The Jews are his messengers."

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
Re: Noachide pledge of faith?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 07:06:55 AM »
There is in fact a Noahide pledge of faith, I have it Spanish. I should try yo find it in English. Anyway it is more like vow to obey the 7 Mitzvot, not excatly a declaration of faith. It says that a Noachide can choose to reciye it in the morning or not. Opyional. Perhaps it's because it's a vow, and in case you sin, you sin double, break the mitzvah and the vow. I never rcited it. I just don't know if I would refrain form all sins.

newman

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 07:11:13 AM »
There is in fact a Noahide pledge of faith, I have it Spanish. I should try yo find it in English. Anyway it is more like vow to obey the 7 Mitzvot, not excatly a declaration of faith. It says that a Noachide can choose to reciye it in the morning or not. Opyional. Perhaps it's because it's a vow, and in case you sin, you sin double, break the mitzvah and the vow. I never rcited it. I just don't know if I would refrain form all sins.
That's why I'm reluctant to make a pledge before the Beit Din and become Ger Toshav. I'm scared I'll commit a sin later. :-[

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 07:42:50 AM »
That's why I'm reluctant to make a pledge before the Beit Din and become Ger Toshav. I'm scared I'll commit a sin later. :-[

Becoming a Guer Toshav nowadays is a matter of question, Some say it is worthy. Others not. In Ancient Yisrael there were two conversion to become a Guer, one for Guer Tzedek (Conversion to Judaism), the other yo Guer Toshab (formal pledge to observe the Mitzvot who allowed you to live in Israel as a resident). Now that Jews are also oustisde EY the validity of conversion to Judaism is no doubt unquestionable. You can become a Jew even of you are living outside Yisrael. But what's the sense of becoming a Resident of Israel, exiled in the Diaspora, if you have never been in Israel?
Beisdes there is a great debate whether a guer toshab must keep Shabat. A minority of Ravs were said to have been of that opinion. What to do now. If you keep a Shabat and must not your soul is in danger. And what is if you need Shabat and break it. So better remain a Noachide inly and not become a Guer Toshav. Anyway, to be honest, the only merit I have is to love Israel. So many Jews think I'm righteous, not true!! Honestly!!!!