Author Topic: whats the oldest copy of the torah known to man???  (Read 3688 times)

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
whats the oldest copy of the torah known to man???
« on: December 02, 2007, 01:58:27 PM »
As the thread title says...I genuwinely cant find what is the oldest torah in the world is, and where is it kept...

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
Re: whats the oldest copy of the torah known to man???
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 02:00:02 PM »
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 02:06:11 PM »
Aleppo Codex
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleppo_Codex

Sorry what i meant was writings of the books, so for example are there any torah chapters/books older than the dead sea scrolls.

Thanks...

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 02:11:40 PM »
Aleppo Codex

Sorry what i meant was writings of the books, so for example are there any torah chapters/books older than the dead sea scrolls.

Thanks...
Sure, there are pages that were found in Judea that was written in the 7th century B.C.E
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 02:27:01 PM »
Aleppo Codex

Thanks...
Sure, there are pages that were found in Judea that was written in the 7th century B.C.E

nice, do you have any infom on them, thanks...

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 03:08:36 PM »
Aleppo Codex
Does he mean a Sefer Torah, or just a copy of the text?  Because if I'm not mistaken, the Aleppo codex is just a Tanach.

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 03:30:21 PM »
That would be the dead sea scrolls which is the oldest complete copy written in Hebrew and date to about 100BC.  Although written by some heretics who only believed in the written law, it is 99% identical to the Massoraic version of the Torah.  Josephous writes a summary of the Bible as well over a hundred and fifty years later but it is simply a summary written in Greek.  The Nash Papyrus is from about 150 B.C.E. and contains a prayer listing the ten commandments in Hebrew which was read at that time before saying the Shema http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_Papyrus.  That is the oldest Hebrew writing containing portions of the Bible. 

The Aleppo codex used to contain the whole Torah before the muslims rioted and lost a good portion of it and it was copied directly from Masoraic manuscripts (meaning Orthodox Torah Jews) dating to the 1000 century  B.C.E. based on widely confirmed historical writings about it but the manuscript itself is from the year 1000 or so.  The original manuscript in the 1000 century B.C.E. that it was copied from have probably long turned into dust after such a long time.

According to Judaism, the first temple had on display the original Torah that Moses himself wrote so that Jews would go there and use it to copy other scrolls from as to make a genuine copy of the Torah.  What happened to this scroll after the destruction of the first temple is unknown, but the scroll was most likely hidden under the temple with the ark.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 03:40:18 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

ftf

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 04:16:06 PM »
According to Judaism, the first temple had on display the original Torah that Moses himself wrote so that Jews would go there and use it to copy other scrolls from as to make a genuine copy of the Torah.  What happened to this scroll after the destruction of the first temple is unknown, but the scroll was most likely hidden under the temple with the ark.
If it could be dug up... That would be a serious poke in the eye for those that say that the bible has been corrupted.

newman

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 04:23:53 PM »
If it could be dug up... That would be a serious poke in the eye for those that say that the bible has been corrupted.
They(muSSlims) are already poked in the eye. Because if what they claim is true, there would be an 'original muSSlim' Torah dug up by now. There never has been. All Torah scrolls dug up everywhere are identical and the same as today's Torah. They've found dead sea scrolls and gnostic gospels but not ONE single 'pre corruption' Torah.

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 05:52:53 PM »
The Aleppo Codex. The Rambam used the Codex to write his Mishne Torah. My uncles relative by the name of Faham smuggled the Codex out of Syria. Many Syrian Jews have little slips of the Codex till this day. A friend of mines grandfather has a piece in his wallet up till last month, when he donated it to a museum in Israel.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 06:04:41 PM »
The Aleppo Codex. The Rambam used the Codex to write his Mishne Torah. My uncles relative by the name of Faham smuggled the Codex out of Syria. Many Syrian Jews have little slips of the Codex till this day. A friend of mines grandfather has a piece in his wallet up till last month, when he donated it to a museum in Israel.
That's very irresponsible and selfish of them.  They should all donate it to the museum where the rest of it is held so that this vital document is restored. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 06:06:23 PM »
I know this is a really stupid question but what happened to the tablets themselves, do you think it would ever possible to find them or accidently come upon them whatever state they may be in?

newman

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 06:07:45 PM »
I know this is a really stupid question but what happened to the tablets themselves, do you think it would ever possible to find them or accidently come upon them whatever state they may be in?
They were in the ark.

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 06:11:27 PM »
That's very irresponsible and selfish of them.  They should all donate it to the museum where the rest of it is held so that this vital document is restored. 
I agree. When 1947, after Israel was proclaimed a state, the Arabs trashed the shul in Aleppo. People dressed up as Arab women, and went to save some of the codex. It was in a vault in the basement. My grandfather (he was there) says that they set fire to the shul, and that the codex was probably semi burnt. He said that some leaves were destroyed, but some of the pages were only partially destroyed, so people had to pick them up dressed as Arab women. This is how some people got them. I think there are many more in existance.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 06:26:25 PM »
In actuality every kosher Sefer Torah is like the original. Jews everywhere have the same Sefer Torah whether they lived in Russia, England or Yemen , etc.
 But other religions have thousands of different texts claiming to be divine. (christianity for example have 150,000 different, islam has also thousands of different (but not as much).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 07:34:56 PM »
I thought, that the silver strips, which were found in Ketef Hinnom near Jerusalem are the oldest texts from the bible that scientist have found.

I have read, that on the silverstrips is engraved the Ahronitic blessing. The silverstrips should come from the 6. or 7. century before c.t.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketef_Hinnom

« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 07:36:30 PM by Golden Pheasant »
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 08:25:11 PM »
I thought, that the silver strips, which were found in Ketef Hinnom near Jerusalem are the oldest texts from the bible that scientist have found.

I have read, that on the silverstrips is engraved the Ahronitic blessing. The silverstrips should come from the 6. or 7. century before c.t.
Yes!  You are correct.  I forgot about these.  These silver strips are the oldest writings from the Bible known.

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 08:25:52 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketef_Hinnom

I like the pics of the silverstrips very nice indeed. :)

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 08:29:32 PM »
I agree. When 1947, after Israel was proclaimed a state, the Arabs trashed the shul in Aleppo. People dressed up as Arab women, and went to save some of the codex. It was in a vault in the basement. My grandfather (he was there) says that they set fire to the shul, and that the codex was probably semi burnt. He said that some leaves were destroyed, but some of the pages were only partially destroyed, so people had to pick them up dressed as Arab women. This is how some people got them. I think there are many more in existance.
Wow, that is an amazing story.  I'm glad those Jews thought of a clever idea to save most of it.  That's very risky what they did and I'm happy it worked.  My grandfather was working in the Russian Railroad during world war II and he was asked to transport a smuggled Torah scroll from an area of Siberia to a Jewish community a distance away and he denied since he couldn't do it without getting caught by the government and arrested.  He's still sad about this till this day.  But Hashem gave him another chance several years later when he ran into a burning Shul with a bunch of other Jews and saved the Torahs from burning.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 08:31:26 PM by jdl4ever »

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 08:32:48 PM »
Do you recken they will dig up some even older sections of the torah???

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2007, 09:00:11 PM »
This I probably written somewhere but I don't know where:
I would think that when Mashiach comes, we will re-discover the original Sefer Torah that was written by Moshe Rabbenu and found during Yoshiyahu's time.

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D