Author Topic: Why is Huckabee leading in Iowa and getting crushed by Romney in NH?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
The best answer I have heard is that Iowa has many social conservatives/Christians and NH Republicans are mostly fiscal conservatives.

More importantly, how will this affect the Republicans' decision on who to nominate?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 07:08:05 PM by Trumpeldor »

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Why is Huckabee leading in Iowa and getting crushed by Romney in NH?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 08:44:10 PM »
In the GOP, the Iowa caucus and NH primary often have differing results.  In 1980, I think Bush Sr. beat Reagain in Iowa.  In 1988, both Dole and Pat Robertson defeated Bush Sr. in Iowa.  In 1992, Pat Buchanan defeated Bush Sr. in NH.  I think Buchanan finished ahead of Dole in NH in 1996.  Then in 2000, McCain defeated Bush Jr. in NH.

So since at least 1980 (not including 1984 and 2004 when I believe the GOP was an incumbent who was unopposed in the primaries), Iowa and NH have always had different results. 

So it's not that surprising if there ends up being different winners in Iowa and NH in the 08 primaries.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:59:14 PM »
NH is also Romney's neighboring state.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 10:03:16 PM »
NH is next to MA
Huck put most of his focus on Iowa (A strategy that has totally paid off) and basically ignored NH
Lot of odd voters in NH
NH voters do not care about religion and IA ones do

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 10:04:35 PM »
NH is also Romney's neighboring state.

That doesn't explain much...unless Romney had a positive effect on NH.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 09:21:36 AM »
NH is one of the few early states that McCain is doing well in.  He's 2nd or 3rd in polls compared to other states where predicted to be more around 5th.  I think McCain's candidacy is depending on winning the NH primary like he did in 2000.

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 10:37:18 AM »
NH is one of the few early states that McCain is doing well in.  He's 2nd or 3rd in polls compared to other states where predicted to be more around 5th.  I think McCain's candidacy is depending on winning the NH primary like he did in 2000.

In NH it goes Romney 32, Giuliani 19, McCain 19

That's not even close this late in the game. He is getting smacked around.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 11:32:25 AM »

In NH it goes Romney 32, Giuliani 19, McCain 19

That's not even close this late in the game. He is getting smacked around.

Relative to other states, it's considered good for McCain.  He's doing much worse in most of the other early states.  If he doesn't win NH and doesn't do well in SC, Michigan, Nevada or Florida, he might have to consider dropping out by then.