Author Topic: Cranberries Really Are a Miracle Cure for Women  (Read 3070 times)

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
Cranberries Really Are a Miracle Cure for Women
« on: January 10, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
Cranberry juice, long dissed as a mere folk remedy for relieving urinary tract infections in women, is finally getting some respect.

Thanks to Prof. Itzhak Ofek, a researcher at Tel Aviv University's Sackler Faculty of Medicine, the world now knows that science supports the folklore.  Prof. Ofek's research on the tart berry over the past two decades shows that its juice indeed combats urinary tract infections.

And, he’s discovered, the refreshing red beverage has additional medicinal qualities as well.  Prof. Ofek has found that cranberry juice exhibits anti-viral properties against the flu, can prevent cavities, and lessens the reoccurrence of gastric ulcers. Unhappily for half the human race, however, new research published this year in the journal Molecular Nutrition & Food Research on ulcers, suggests that, like urinary tract infections, the healing power of cranberries apply only to women.

Medicinal "Teflon"

The remarkable healing property in cranberries stems from a heavy molecule known as non-dialyzable material or NDM. This molecule, isolated by Prof. Ofek and his colleagues, seems to coat some bodily surfaces with Teflon-like efficiency, preventing infection-causing agents from taking root.

Surprisingly, NDM appears to have no effect on some of the good bacteria in our bodies, says Prof. Ofek.  His seminal research on the subject, in collaboration with Prof. Nathan Sharon from the Weizmann Institute, appeared in the world’s leading medical journal, the New England Journal of Medicine, in 1991. “We understood that there was something in cranberry juice that doesn’t let infections adhere to a woman’s bladder," Prof. Ofek says. "We figured it was a specific inhibitor and proved this to be the case.”

A Unique Mouthwash

After the 1991 study, Prof. Ofek conjectured that if cranberries could protect against bacterial invasion in the bladder, "Could they work wonders elsewhere?” He took the question Tel Aviv University’s School of Dental Medicine, and together with Prof Ervin Weiss, produced positive results.

“We found that NDM inhibits adhesion of oral bacteria to tooth surfaces and as a consequence reduced the bacterial load that causes cavities in the mouth,” says Prof. Ofek. “And after a clinical trial, we formulated a mouthwash based on cranberries which was patented by Tel Aviv University.”

From Mouth to Midsection

But Prof. Ofek wasn’t content to stop at cavities. Working with Prof. Ervin Weiss and Prof. Zichria Rones at Hadassah Medical and Dental School, he found that NDM inhibits the flu virus from attaching to cells and prevented experimental flu infections in animal models.

Most recently, Prof. Ofek collaborated with Dr. Haim Shmuely, a resident physician at the Beilinson Hospital and lecturer at Tel Aviv University, to find that cranberry also inhibits two-thirds of the “unhealthy” bacteria that clings to gastric cells, which lead to ulcers.

“The results were very interesting,” says Prof. Ofek. “Cranberry helped reduce the load of this bacteria, Helicobacter pylori, in the gut. In combination with antibiotics, it reduced repeat ulcers from approximately 15 percent to about 5 percent.”

Ladies Only

The one drawback to this research is that it only holds true for women, showing once again cranberry’s affinity for the female. “The whole thing with cranberries seems to be female-oriented,” admits Prof. Ofek.

He continues, “The take-home message is that God created this fruit with a polyphenolic material. We still don't know its chemical formula, but it seems to target a fraction of bacteria and viruses.”

Today, a cranberry research team comprised of scientists from across Israel, and headed by Professors Ofek and Weiss, are investigating the berry's healing powers. Recently, it was found that cranberry NDM may also act as an anti-cancer agent. The scientific research methods behind the research have been patented by Tel Aviv University.

Prof. Ofek’s recommendation is that women drink two glasses a day to treat certain infections. And because “there is still so much we don’t know about cranberries, I would suggest that men also drink two glasses a day,” he concludes.

The American cranberry juice company Ocean Spray funded a majority of Prof. Ofek’s early research and his later research on ulcers. He is currently on sabbatical at the University of Tennessee in Memphis.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: Cranberries Really Are a Miracle Cure for Women
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 06:09:26 PM »
I like it i buy without sweetner ,but i'm a male :(
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Kiwi

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 06:19:31 PM »

its great for you too the vitamin C is very rich in the juice.

And yes it does work well in women, for a number of things.

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 06:20:38 PM »
It's good even for men... I drink it whenever I can. You must find the 100% juice version, though

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 08:20:06 PM »
I don't think it's a miracle cure of UTIs since I had a female patient in the hospital with a UTI and she said she drank a lot of cranberry juice all the time to prevent them.  Maybe it works a little bit. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 08:35:35 PM »
I don't think it's a miracle cure of UTIs since I had a female patient in the hospital with a UTI and she said she drank a lot of cranberry juice all the time to prevent them.  Maybe it works a little bit. 
Well, the study was funded by Ocean Spray... ^-^

Kiwi

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 08:41:08 PM »

375mls BD and push fliuds generally in early stages of a UTI will cure it. Many women don't and quite depends on how they got the UTI in the first place, if it is recurrent or long term of course only medications will help. Many are placed on Cranberry caps here daily for long term treatment of their bladder health, we are talking more aged women.

In this country its rare for women to suffer UTI's. hygiene and fluid intake is well educated here, and our public toilets are cleaned every hour. Which makes  a huge difference.

Cranberry also is great to changing the PH of the urine decreasing the burning when passed.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 08:52:29 PM »
In the Hospitals, I've seen a lot of women with UTIs.  It's rare for a man to have a UTI.
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 05:54:54 AM »
Not my favorite fruit or juice, but okay.  I prefer blueberries and rasberries. O0

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 02:51:35 PM »
be careful with this Ocean Spray cranberry juice. Or any cartoned juice drinks.

They are VERY VERY VERY acidic.

and full of sugar.

I used to drink them by the carton.. Had bad chest pains while doing that. I was around 19 at the time.  2 people I know who drank it had the same problem.

It was Acid Indigestion, which has symptoms including stabbing pains in the chest.  And a form of shortness of breath, in that if you breath too deeply, you get the pain!
BTW, the pain on breathing deeply can be muscular too, like pulling a chest muscle can cause that. But this was the drink!

I had much less symptom from drinking cartoned orange juice - from the huge carton. But still got the symptoms. Too much acid.

And lots of sugar too, as mentioned.

IF an orange juice carton says "freshly squeezed" then it is probably ok.
I have not seen the same thing for cranberries.

Best thing would be to eat the actual fruit itself.

That ocean spray cranberry juice is probably more acidic than the stuff in any orange juice carton!

cranberry juice of course has benefits that oranges do not..
and i have heard of the benefits to women.. So eat the fruit if you eat it. But careful of any fruit juice in cartons - especially that ocean spray cranberry juice.

My frirend and I used to walk around the street drinking it.. Sit at home drinking it. On the bus.  By the huge carton. So we did drink far more than most would. We both have empty huge cartons all over our rooms. Now I have empty evian bottles!

note- i would not drink water like a mad man either.. but that is another issue. 

« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 02:55:38 PM by q_q_ »

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 02:58:37 PM »
and I read that we are meant to maintain an alkaline balance - most of us anyway. Unfortunately, most things are acidic.  People are getting stomach ulcers when they get older, and their medicine is some medical strongly alkaline thing.

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 06:26:36 PM »
In the Hospitals, I've seen a lot of women with UTIs.  It's rare for a man to have a UTI.

Hospitals are not a good example of the effects of anything, due to the reasons for being in hospital in the  first place.

Only such a small amount of the female population ever is there.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 06:36:35 PM »
Yes it is since I saw her on admission in the ER meaning she was just admitted from home.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 06:39:16 PM by jdl4ever »

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 07:05:21 PM »
Yes it is since I saw her on admission in the ER meaning she was just admitted from home.

How old was the patient? what other factors where involved? Bladder infections are rarely the only reason for hospital admission. In healthy women its rare.

If that was the only reason for a 18-50 year old woman with no other health issues to be in hospital, then red flag must be raised as a more serious issue is causing the infection.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 07:28:40 PM »
She was admitted for the chief complaint of chest pain and the UTI was a secondary thing found on admission. 

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 07:30:58 PM »
She was admitted for the chief complaint of chest pain and the UTI was a secondary thing found on admission. 

A woman with chest pains? so she is older? Other age issues? As I said a secondary thing..............

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 07:33:05 PM »
She was in her 40's.  She had a high tolerance for pain and didn't go to a Dr. for the UTI.  It was found via physical exam and lab results and was a considerable infection if I remember correctly. 

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 07:48:47 PM »
She was in her 40's.  She had a high tolerance for pain and didn't go to a Dr. for the UTI.  It was found via physical exam and lab results and was a considerable infection if I remember correctly. 

SO she was poorly educated. Basic woman's heath is high on the agenda here.

One thing that completely out strips many health systems, Australia promotes a healthy lifestyle.
Patient education is a must.

Waiting until its  a secondary infection, is just uneducated, quite telling really.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 04:57:56 PM »
Don't you find that cranberry juice drys up your mouth?

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 05:43:27 PM »

Exactly - It is not so sweet, but fruity. I buy it whenever I am able to get it  :::D
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 05:45:01 PM »

It is a little bit like the pieplant. But I like it. :)
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 05:56:36 PM »

Not really, I used to hate it, now I love it, each time I get a little sick I drink heaps of it, and I feel better.  8;)

It is packed with vit C.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 06:06:03 PM »

Not really, I used to hate it, now I love it, each time I get a little sick I drink heaps of it, and I feel better.  8;)

It is packed with vit C.

I rather prefer a handful of blueberries.  I used to hate it too...and still do. :)

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 06:41:18 PM »

It is packed with vit C.

I rather prefer a handful of blueberries.  I used to hate it too...and still do. :)

I like blue berries and Ice cream

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008, 08:33:51 PM »
Ocean Spray cranberry juice is very dry - I loved that. But it was FULL of sugar..
(like most cartoned juice drinks)

Don`t be fooled.