Author Topic: AMERICAN GANGSTER (DENZEL WASHINGTON & RUSSEL CROWE) - ANY THOUGHTS ?  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer

Just saw this movie. I can't see how it was dubbed "the greatest gangster film of all time"

It was your average gangster movie. But it was nice to see a fellow Jew beat all the odds in order to nail this shvartza and put him behind bars.

Any thoughts?
"We are in 1938, and Iran is Germany"

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
Re: AMERICAN GANGSTER (DENZEL WASHINGTON & RUSSEL CROWE) - ANY THOUGHTS ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 01:49:04 PM »

Just saw this movie. I can't see how it was dubbed "the greatest gangster film of all time"

It was your average gangster movie. But it was nice to see a fellow Jew beat all the odds in order to nail this shvartza and put him behind bars.

Any thoughts?

Definitely NOT the best gangster film of all-time. Personally I think the Godfather was the best. This was still a good movie, and I also found it great that it was a fellow Jew who brought down this waste of sperm.

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 01:58:32 PM »
waste of sperm

LOL LOL LOL -  :D

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 03:11:06 PM »
waste of sperm

LOL LOL LOL -  :D

lol ;D

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 06:29:44 PM »
This is the last movie I saw in the theaters.  I thought it was pretty good, but not on the level of a Scorsese gangster film.  I was surprised to learn Crowe's character was Jewish.  It was pretty cool to see a Jewish crimefighter. O0

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 07:26:14 PM »

Any thoughts?

Definitely NOT the best gangster film of all-time. Personally I think the Godfather was the best. This was still a good movie, and I also found it great that it was a fellow Jew who brought down this waste of sperm.

agreed godfather is the best

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 07:29:16 PM »
This is the last movie I saw in the theaters.  I thought it was pretty good, but not on the level of a Scorsese gangster film.  I was surprised to learn Crowe's character was Jewish.  It was pretty cool to see a Jewish crimefighter. O0

I agree, it was nice to see a jewish crimefighter, when it most movies it's someone else.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 09:40:57 PM »
One of my all-time favorite gangster films is "Hit The Dutchman", about the Jewish gangster "Dutch" Schultz.

The film isn't even running for 60 seconds before the young Schultz bites the nose off of somebody who calls him a "dirty Jew".

At his own sister's Orthodox wedding, he "borrows" the bridegroom "for just a few minutes", and then about an hour later carries the dead brother-in-law, riddled with machine gun bullets, into the Temple vestry, and dumps him like a bloody bag of garbage on to the floor where all the Chasidim are dancing & celebrating.

There's even a gangster of Lebanese descent named "Fatty" Abbadabba in this movie, and it's all based on truth!

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 10:33:52 PM »
I haven't seen that one.  Sounds good. O0

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 10:43:03 PM »
One of my all-time favorite gangster films is "Hit The Dutchman", about the Jewish gangster "Dutch" Schultz.

The film isn't even running for 60 seconds before the young Schultz bites the nose off of somebody who calls him a "dirty Jew".

At his own sister's Orthodox wedding, he "borrows" the bridegroom "for just a few minutes", and then about an hour later carries the dead brother-in-law, riddled with machine gun bullets, into the Temple vestry, and dumps him like a bloody bag of garbage on to the floor where all the Chasidim are dancing & celebrating.

There's even a gangster of Lebanese descent named "Fatty" Abbadabba in this movie, and it's all based on truth!

Menachem Golan who did that film, also did some Stallone, Norris and Death Wish films back in the '80's. They are just great, him and his cousin? Yoram Globus! :)

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 11:43:57 AM »

Sounds like a great movie !!! He may have been a JTFer had he lived long enough.

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 12:23:09 PM »

Sounds like a great movie !!! He may have been a JTFer had he lived long enough.

Yes, he could have O0