Author Topic: Anyone have Norton 360  (Read 4426 times)

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Anyone have Norton 360
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 04:42:43 PM »
I downloaded AVG once for free

I don`t understand the intent of you writing that.  What you are trying to communicate.

I downloaded free AVG too, many times. I have downloaded many things in my lifetime.

I think what Mord is trying to say is that he has tried it AVG and not liked it  ???

I admit I am not a fan of Free AV's, I do pay, but 100 bucks a year is not huge ask, when my computer is worth $5000

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 06:45:59 PM »
Or maybe he could not get AVG working.

Clearly he does not like Norton either / cannot get it working.

There are other free alternatives to AVG free.

There is AntiVir
http://www.download.com/Avira-AntiVir-PersonalEdition-Classic/3000-2239_4-10322935.html?part=dl-AviraAnti&subj=dl&tag=button&cdlpid=10322935

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 07:29:14 PM »
Have you ever tired Trendmicro q_q_?

Norton 360 is hard to use, its far from being user friendly.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2008, 08:29:19 PM »

I would not suggest that people who are inexperienced with computers necessarily follow the way I do things in this area.

I do not use an anti virus .   I can see if my computer has malware.

When I am suspicious , I install whatever free anti virus. I don`t care. They are user friendly enough. I won`t take me long to figure out how to make it scan my computer. And once the anti virus or anti trojan or anti malware detector has done its job. I remove it.

If I am suspicious of a file (an executable), then I may scan the file. As well as running it in a non administrative account. So at least it cannot hurt windows .  And anyhow, it is rare for malware to wipe a hard drive or any data.. Only certain viruses tend to do that. I have never had one like that personally. Nowadays you get malware that produces popups,  sends spam from your computer, virus malware infects EXEs of course.  I have had malware but as mentioned, they do not attack data. So I am not too jumpy about it. If I suspect malware, like if I am being bothered by popups, or a process keeps appearing that shouldn`t, or a connection over the internet is made that should not be being made. Then I deal with the malware.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2008, 08:55:30 PM »

I would not suggest that people who are inexperienced with computers necessarily follow the way I do things in this area.

I do not use an anti virus .   I can see if my computer has malware.

When I am suspicious , I install whatever free anti virus. I don`t care. They are user friendly enough. I won`t take me long to figure out how to make it scan my computer. And once the anti virus or anti trojan or anti malware detector has done its job. I remove it.

If I am suspicious of a file (an executable), then I may scan the file. As well as running it in a non administrative account. So at least it cannot hurt windows .  And anyhow, it is rare for malware to wipe a hard drive or any data.. Only certain viruses tend to do that. I have never had one like that personally. Nowadays you get malware that produces popups,  sends spam from your computer, virus malware infects EXEs of course.  I have had malware but as mentioned, they do not attack data. So I am not too jumpy about it. If I suspect malware, like if I am being bothered by popups, or a process keeps appearing that shouldn`t, or a connection over the internet is made that should not be being made. Then I deal with the malware.

True I was also thinking people need to use non admin accounts does reduce the risk of having the hard disc hacked.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 09:07:46 PM »
Quote from: skippy
True I was also thinking people need to use non admin accounts does reduce the risk of having the hard disc hacked.

a sentence like that just confuses things.

it is very general, non technical, has no meaning.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 12:10:06 AM by q_q_ »

Offline qwerty

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008, 09:24:07 PM »
Thats why i bought a Mac.
No more worries ;D

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 09:28:44 PM »
Thats why i bought a Mac.
No more worries ;D
same here. How ca people still  buy PCs?
Besides, you can natively run Windows simultaneous with MacOSX.
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

Offline qwerty

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2008, 09:32:32 PM »

They can get spyware but thats extremely rare.
Sometimes I think apple needs to stop boasting about there virus free ideas because I fear one day people will go after Mac.
UNIX is the way to go
it's great that it can run Windows but Mac has everything I need. (Office, iTunes, AIM)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2008, 09:49:35 PM »
a)if you are good with computers. Or not adventurous, or cavalier with your computer, then you will not get viruses and if you do, you will not be so hassled by them.

b)MACs are expensive and not easy to replace bad parts. You wait till you have a problem with a part. It is a computer. So don`t pretend MACs don`t have hardware problems.  There are MAC repair centres. They can also be a nuisance to repair even for the repair centres! I once heard of a guy removing a dozen screws just to get a PSU out. He fixed MACs for people.

c) *nix is not "the answer". And certainly not the answer to windows problems. It may be the answer to a more powerful commandline.. Maybe!! Personally I have found it [censored] me off (see the unix haters handbooks for possible reasons). But I won`t go there here.  And the GUI.. I am not going there either. yeah yeah yeah, it improved. *nix users were saying linux was the answer when the GUI was still a joke.. for years and years.  So I treat it like the boy who cried wolf.  I have a friend that used linux he finally said the GUI is good, but since Open Office was some garbage by Sun , and he didn`t want to mess with WINE. He went back to Windows and MS Office.

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2008, 09:52:23 PM »
QQ
Have you ever worked a couple of months with MacOSX?
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2008, 11:06:53 PM »

Why does it confuse things? its correct, in using a non administrators account. Anyone with a computer of their own knows that  ::)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2008, 12:06:41 AM »
QQ
Have you ever worked a couple of months with MacOSX?

nope.  And I am not saying it is rubbish.  But I stated my issues with Macs - hardware, cost (And probably other issues if I ever got one). I am not a graphic person either.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2008, 12:08:20 AM »

Why does it confuse things? its correct, in using a non administrators account. Anyone with a computer of their own knows that  ::)

You said "True I was also thinking people need to use non admin accounts does reduce the risk of having the hard disc hacked"

That does not even deserve to be called "correct" or  "not correct".

I am not picking the fact that you spelt hard disc as if it is an optical disc. It is Hard Disk.

But talking about hard disks getting hacked is just ridiculous.. It does not mean anything. Be specific.

When you say "hacked", do you mean "attacked". I can attack a hard drive. Throw it out a window(your limited account won`t help you there). Given physical access I can go in administrative.

Do you mean theoretical case of files deleted from malware that hijacks your browser. Or from a virus? That can happen from a limited account too.

You are blurring something very simple.

Limited accounts just stop the user , and any programs, including malware programs, from writing or deleting in certain directories.
No files on root.   But can put directories there.

prob Cannot put directories in "program files" Certainly cannot put files there. (I am not on such a machine right now so cannot check)
Similarly with the windows directory

Certain paths in the registry are disabled, so malware cannot put itself there so it starts when windows starts.

The main result of that is it protects windows..
So you won`t have to reinstall it if it gets attacked. Because it won`t get messed up badly, if at all.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 12:20:35 AM by q_q_ »

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2008, 01:06:05 AM »
Picking on my spell now lol, it doesn't matter fact remains the point is vaild.

When you say "hacked", do you mean "attacked". I can attack a hard drive. Throw it out a window(your limited account won`t help you there)
Six of one, half a dozen of the other when it comes to terms. But the average hacker or attacker ie the 13 year old, if hitting into limited account would stop there.

The diehard cyberwolves will get in regardless of firewalls and such. But the likely hood of these guys having that kind of attack or hack is very rare.

Unless you are in an area where you encounter these people and make them angry.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2008, 01:32:12 AM »

When you say "hacked", do you mean "attacked". I can attack a hard drive. Throw it out a window(your limited account won`t help you there)
Six of one, half a dozen of the other when it comes to terms. But the average hacker or attacker ie the 13 year old, if hitting into limited account would stop there.

The diehard cyberwolves will get in regardless of firewalls and such. But the likely hood of these guys having that kind of attack or hack is very rare.

Look, it provides better protection. But to say it PREVENTS
and to say it PREVENTS YOUR HARD DRIVE FROM GETTING HACKED
that is just stupid

Hard Drives Do Not Get Hacked(certainly not what you are calling hacking).  The word hacked is abused enough already

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2008, 03:22:38 AM »

Look, it provides better protection. But to say it PREVENTS
and to say it PREVENTS YOUR HARD DRIVE FROM GETTING HACKED
that is just stupid

Hard Drives Do Not Get Hacked(certainly not what you are calling hacking).  The word hacked is abused enough already

I said it reduces the risk.

Anyway these guys will only encounter Virus or worms thats it.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2008, 03:32:21 AM »

yes.. my main issue with you was your phrase hard disk drive getting "hacked". Ambiguous, blurry, e.t.c.

Code is hacked.. 
Networks - OK, it is an abuse, but ok.
Hard Drives - maybe in the sense of low level code, but that is not what you were talking about. Your usage is completely illegitimate.

Besides the fact that it provides no technical information, and spreads FUD and makes end users that  even more "computer stupid".

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2008, 04:01:50 AM »

yes.. my main issue with you was your phrase hard disk drive getting "hacked". Ambiguous, blurry, e.t.c.

Code is hacked.. 
Networks - OK, it is an abuse, but ok.
Hard Drives - maybe in the sense of low level code, but that is not what you were talking about. Your usage is completely illegitimate.

Besides the fact that it provides no technical information, and spreads FUD and makes end users that  even more "computer stupid".

I really don't think you need to go into great detail, because people then just speed read and skip over things.

IMHO  :)