Author Topic: Rare bird found in coastal garden  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
Rare bird found in coastal garden
« on: February 07, 2008, 08:01:57 AM »

A retired clergyman's garden in a coastal village in North Norfolk has become home to a rare white-crowned sparrow normally seen in North America.

The bird was spotted by Sue and Richard Bending in their garden at Cley.

Within hours of publicising the find dozens of bird-watchers descended on the quiet village with their cameras.

Richard Bending said they believed the bird may have been blown off course in a storm in Canada and was blown to Norfolk or hitched a ride on a boat.

We just feel very privileged that it chose our garden
Richard Bending

The couple contacted a local bird expert in North Norfolk which is home to several wildlife reserves which attract a great number of migrating species.

Mr Bending said: "He identified the bird as a rare white-crowned sparrow which had had confirmed sightings in Britain in 1977 and 1995 although there had been several other reports during this time.

"This confirmed how rare it was. We knew it was unusual as soon as my wife spotted it in the garden and we borrowed a book from the local library to see what it was.

"This indicated that it was a white-crowned sparrow distinguished by the markings on its head. We then asked a local expert to confirm the find.

"It perches in a beech hedge in the garden and comes out to feed on the gravel path in the morning when we put down seed."

Migrating south

Mr Bending was very surprised at the speed of the bush telegraphy of the bird watchers because within hours of going public they started to arrive from all over the country.

"No-one knows how it got here but we are speculating that it was caught in a storm while migrating south from the east coast of Canada to the United States.

"It could have become lost or tired and hitched a ride on a boat coming to England. We just feel very privileged that it chose our garden.

"We do not know how long it will stay but we hope it will spend the winter with us."

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Re: Rare bird found in coastal garden
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 09:57:30 PM »
We have lots of sparrows here Skippy.  We should make a trade. O0

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:12:05 PM »
We have lots of sparrows here Skippy.  We should make a trade. O0

It is not a sparrow lol  :::D :::D

I love sparrows they are such cheeky little birds.  :D

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 10:20:09 PM »
Yes, I like them too.  I had a friend a while back that tried to raise a couple after they were kicked out of there nest by the mother.  She tried handfeeding them, but I don't think she knew what she was doing, or the birds were sick to begin with, but unfortunately they died after a couple of weeks.  Sparrows are pretty common where I live, also geese, pidgeons, and doves.  That's why I like seeing rarer birds in nature, such as a cardinal, robin, or blue jay every now and then, or if you go along the coast there is a nice variety there too. O0  Let me know when you get the alpacas and post some picks.  That should be pretty cool.  What do you plan to do with them?  Don't eat them, lol.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 10:29:37 PM »
 ;D ;D  you and my alpacas  :::D :::D

You would love here, we have many different types of honey eaters its so beautiful, even had wild doves nesting in my pot plant, to clutches she has raised. 

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 10:59:57 PM »
Yes, it sounds like I would enjoy it.  I definitely have to see Australia once. O0

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 11:10:15 PM »
Yes, it sounds like I would enjoy it.  I definitely have to see Australia once. O0

Haha you might not want to go back  8;)