Author Topic: "I could never lose to a white boy!"  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Kananga

• Senior JTFer
"I could never lose to a white boy!"
« on: February 11, 2008, 02:26:46 PM »

If Bernard Hopkins fights anything like he talks when he takes on Joe Calzaghe in Las Vegas on April 19 then their light-heavyweight contest is certain to go the distance. Asked last week to explain his controversial remark that he would "never lose to a white boy", the veteran Philadelphian held forth for a full 15 minutes with an answer that ranged from sporting history, to boxing gyms in inner-city ghettos to the United States presidential campaign. But not once during his monologue did Hopkins admit that he was wrong to play the race card.

His point was that he was a product of his harsh and racially segregated background and that racial division was embedded in American society, and particularly in American sport.

"People who deny that racism is everywhere are the dangerous ones because they just can't see it," he said. "If race doesn't play a role in sport then I can bring up sport's history.

"You might say that times have changed since then, but have they? Only the camouflage has changed. There are taboos now and it's not the done thing to talk about race, but it is still there underneath. People just don't have the courage to talk about it."

Hopkins' reasoning may explain his white boy jibe rather than justify it but you can't knock the sophistication of his argument. The 43-year-old fighter, who ruled the middleweight division for almost 11 years and who has just four defeats and one draw on his 54-fight record, educated himself during his time in jail and is as good at mental sparring as he is at trading punches.

On the race for the White House, Hopkins believes his country is not ready to elect an African American and even predicts that Barack Obama could be assassinated if he wins "the championship".

"I think that his life would be in dear jeopardy," said Hopkins. "To have that much power in that position, the country is not ready for that. Historically, they weren't ready for John F Kennedy because his views and his values about certain things riled a lot of people."

Just to prove that he is no racist, he is hoping Hillary Clinton will become the next president.

"Having Bill and Hillary is like having two for one. You already have eight years of credibility with one. When Clinton was president there wasn't a war, poor people were getting their cheques and the economy wasn't like it is now.

"And I'm pretty sure that Bill Clinton got a lot of advice from Hillary. History always teaches us that a strong man must have a strong woman."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2008/02/10/soboxx110.xml

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: "I could never lose to a white boy!"
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 02:31:36 PM »
at least he's honest :::D
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 02:32:56 PM »
 :::D :::D   Joe Calzaghe is a strange fighter looks very weak his fighting style is strange to say the least but he always manages to win :-\
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 05:30:44 PM »
Calzaghe must be a little ticked off by that remark...

Offline abdithefaithful

• Full JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 07:26:12 PM »
I strongly doubt, as a matter of fact, I know that Bernard Hopkins wouldn't have the courage to say something like that in front of Chaim... I don't care how tough Bernard Hopkins "thinks" he is or how much "in-the-ring" experience he has, if he said something that lewd in front of Chaim, then Bernard Hopkins would  have to hop a fast train out of town pronto.

If you don't like The Great Chaim, then you sure as heck wouldn't like me!

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 07:30:10 PM »
lol ;D :D

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 11:19:50 PM »
HIM 'B BUCK-NINNY!

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 11:36:30 PM »
Imagine, if you heard "black boy" what that would of caused
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 01:37:54 AM »
Imagine, if you heard "black boy" what that would of caused

weez b' screaminnn' racisssmmm' ;D ;D :D

day b' racisstttt' agannst' da colureds' :D ;D

newman

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 02:09:33 AM »
Hey Hambone, what happened to your avatar? I loved it! :::D

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 08:31:02 AM »
HE MUST BE USING A SCREWDRIVER FOR A TOOTHPICK!

Offline abdithefaithful

• Full JTFer
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 08:41:32 AM »
Yeah, let's just take a brief moment to imagine what would happen if this Bernard Hopkins bozo character somehow unknowingly stumbled onto the set of a JTF television broadcast taping, and this Bernard Hopkins weakling of a girly man started spewing that "I could never lose to a white boy" kind of garbage in front of our hawk eyed leader Chaim!?!?... Pow! Bang! Zoom!... Bernard "bozo"  Hopkins would be forced to change his racist tune real quick once our great Chaim cleaned his clock!

If you don't like The Great Chaim, then you sure as heck wouldn't like me!