Author Topic: Workout  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
Workout
« on: February 18, 2008, 10:51:51 PM »
After I work out, I have a big meal- probably more calories then I burned off. Does anyone think I shouldnt work out at all, because then I wont be hungry- and I wont have a big meal?

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Workout
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 10:53:17 PM »
If you want to loose weight, you need to eat less.

Exercize is secondary.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 11:20:17 PM »
true. Just stuff yourself with water, you would then want to eat less.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 11:21:07 PM »
I dont know if their are any gym experts but is it true that you have to eat after working out? And if yes after how long, and what if your not hungry?
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Just Erica

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 11:24:01 PM »
If you want to loose weight, you need to eat less.

Exercize is secondary.
I don't think that's true, Scriabin. Starving yourself won't only make you lose weight but it will be a sure fire way to insure that your body is malnurished.

Eating less isn't the key...eating in moderation IS, though. Along with that, daily exercise is important. You can't loose weight properly without maintaining a healthy diet AND exercise regimine.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 11:28:28 PM »
Yes, Erica, you have to balance both healthy eating and exercise. O0

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 08:37:01 PM »
After I work out, I have a big meal- probably more calories then I burned off. Does anyone think I shouldnt work out at all, because then I wont be hungry- and I wont have a big meal?

Better to have many moderate seized meals . 

Being hungry is not really an excuse for eating too much. If I am hungry, as in hunger pain, then I can eat a bit and the hunger pain goes.   I happen to be lucky in that I can eat like a pig and be fine. But there is no need to.  Just eating something is enough. Just eat a bit and you won't be starving anymore.

You never need a really big meal unless you are being greedy.

I find it takes a huge effort to get 2000 calories in a day. A bag of cachew nuts is 1200 calories, and I don't eat them all in one go anyway. I snack on them when I am hungry sometimes.  I personally want to put on weight, but never manage to. I eat big meals but healthy ones. No cakes. No high sugar.
Potatoes in microwave(then letting butter or cheese melt inside them), Rice(with cheese and tuna and olive oil), thick Spaghetti/pasta with good source/circio source.

I cannot the somebody can eat healthy food and get more than 2000 calories and be hungry. Even if you do exercise.

Check your BMI.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 08:44:59 PM »
Just eat an apple and drink more water. You'll feel less hungry.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 09:28:24 PM »
If your goal of working out is to gain muscles then you are supposed to eat like a horse afterwards since your body needs the protein and the calories to build muscle.  If your goal of working out is to lose weight then don't eat a lot afterwards.
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 10:47:14 PM »
My goal isnt to gain or lose anything. Im on the basketball team, and coach runs us like crazy- after practice I am famished and I either run to buy a schnitzel sandwich which is impossible to finish (a foot long), and a big salad, and I finish it easily. But do you think I should just not plat at all, or play and then eat like crazy after?

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 11:06:32 PM »
Play why not? If your really worried take your time in eating. Wait for the food to digest and you wont be hungry (possibly).

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 02:18:18 PM »
Eating crazy amounts is fine, even necessary if you are that hungry.

But eat healthily..

If you are eating healthily and not getting fat, then that is fine.

If you are burning loads of calories(and you are when you exercise), then you can eat loads of food! Alot depends on your metabolism. Watch your stomach.

If you are not getting fat then you are not eating too many calories / too much food.

I personally can eat loads of food without exercise, and still not get fat. It is fine if the food is healthy.

You are better off switching from white bread to wholemeal bread. Wholemeal bread breaks down slower. Bread breaks into starch, a sugary thing, so that is why it is important for it to break down slowly.

I am not sure how healthy shnitzel is.. I have never seen a giant amount of it. It is probably not that healthy in really large amounts.     People that workout with weights tend to eat huge amounts, and the popular meat is chicken.. not in some funny processed form so not chicken shnitzel.  It is probably not unhealthy though, and I seriously doubt you are eating a huge amount of it (since as mentioned, i have never seen a giant shnitzel).

I actually eat 2 corn shnitzel things a day, (may not be that healthy, but) it is just a snack. That could easily fill a foot long sandwich.. Each shnitzel is a half a foot (6 inches) long, and wider than a bread roll.  It is not that much.  I can feel that it is better/healthier than going hungry. 

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 02:19:54 PM by q_q_ »

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 02:21:01 PM »
I used to have chicken shnitzels sometimes, but they were salty.. Processed foods are not great generally speaking. But better than going hungry, you should feel that.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 03:49:39 PM »
Even if you have a very small plate of food, after every mouthful drink half a glass of water...keep doing so until you finish your food. You'll feel full.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 05:11:45 PM »
Sarah.. If he is exercising he needs more calories, more food..  No tricks to make the body think it has more food.

And do you really need to feel full?

People get fat because they are not blessed with the metabolism of a pyranna, or they were but it got swallowed up by age.  And they keep eating till they are full.

I am sure if one eats till one is not hungry, then it is fine.

Also, if food is not that tasty, it is really an effort to eat till you are full!!!

I can see your method does not involve eating till full.  And that may be good, but really one does not need the feeling of being full.

By the way.. The idea about 8 glasses of water is a myth.  Alot of water is contained in food anyway.. Water is good for the skin.. I can actually tell when I have had too much water.   

I used to drink water endlessly, I started to get a headache from it! Possibly -mild- water intoxication! The human body is not full of water.. It is full of a watery solution with lots of other things. If you have too much water it dilutes that watery solution, it is not so good to have too much water. A half a glass of water with each mouthful seems excessive, though it would depend how many mouthfuls you are having!  If you need all that water per mouthful, maybe you should eat in smaller pieces!

I heard a guy on radio, the late Dr Batman Gelli, talking about the benefits of water. He said to add a pinch of sea salt to it, because that is closer to the body`s liquid.. 
I had a book on nutrition that said  the human body is largely a bag of salty soup!
It did cure the headaches I got from too much water. But now I don`t add the sea salt. Salt is too risky, I don`t know how much is a safe amount. So I just don`t drink loads of water anymore.  But I do drink quite a bit. It is almost all I drink.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 05:15:56 PM by q_q_ »

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 05:22:03 PM »
A woman once drowned her lungs because of the severe excess water she drank everyday.

There is a tribe in China that eat only 1290 calories a day and most of their people live until they are a hundred or so.

I always get sudden bursts of having a huge appetite and if i don't control it, I really do eat an awful lot. Your body doesn't know you're full until 20 minutes after you consume your food.

I use a small glass?

I only used to do this at dinner time, especially when my brother cooked.

6grams is the maximum amount of salt an adult should take a day. I think it is.

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 07:12:45 PM »
i honestly think you have all good points bar one.

There is no point in going on a diet. You need to change your life style. Say if you crash dieted lost your wieght, then go back to the bad habits you had before.

Its called yoyo dieting and a major risk in developing diabetes.

Best advice in go onto a healthy eating plan, and one you know you can maintain for the rest of your life.

You will lose weight but slowly but you can maintain the weight loss, and then stay at a level thats natural for your body.

A healthy weight loss is 2 kgs a week, any more and its unhealthy. You must think of the long term out comes, not just your short term gains.

And yes please see your Doctor before going on any plan.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 07:24:23 PM »
Sarah - When tribes or families live a long time , alot may be down to genetics.

The sudden bursts of hunger could be because you are eating foods that have a hi GI.

Eat low GI foods.

In early days as a student, I used to have lots of pasta.. It exhausted me completely, and then later I was really starving.  I stopped the pasta. A friend was telling me how he was exhausted, and starving e.t.c.  I asked him if he was stuffing himself with pasta. He could not believe my "guess".. (he was).
I do not know why that is, since google says it is low gi.  

I don`t have great ideas.. I tend to mix tuna-mayo with wholebrain brown rice. The idea being to make the wholegrain brown rice edible.  It is a fantastically healthy food..
I had a friend that was 6`2 and when I walked briskly with him I would be out of breath long before him.  One time I did the wholegrain brown rice. -He- was out of breath!
And of course since it is a wholegrain, breaks down slower, I do not get hungry, it supplies energy throughout the day.  Better not to have it early in the day though.. I am sure you won`t get starving during the day if you do that.

And do try wholemeal bread instead of regular. I would, but my bowels are sensitive to alot of foods (they call it IBS - not a disease, just symptoms related to bowel- food sensitivities).

I would be suprised if after switching to low GI foods, you still became starving.

And even if you have a huge appetite. With discipline - or boring food - you can stop before the "full feeling".  Sure, eat if you are starving..  But hopefully you won`t be starving if you eat differently.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 07:35:17 PM »
i honestly think you have all good points bar one.

There is no point in going on a diet. You need to change your life style. Say if you crash dieted lost your wieght, then go back to the bad habits you had before.

Its called yoyo dieting and a major risk in developing diabetes.

Best advice in go onto a healthy eating plan, and one you know you can maintain for the rest of your life.

You will lose weight but slowly but you can maintain the weight loss, and then stay at a level thats natural for your body.

A healthy weight loss is 2 kgs a week, any more and its unhealthy. You must think of the long term out comes, not just your short term gains.

And yes please see your Doctor before going on any plan.

I do not know who suggested a diet.. Or why you define diet as eating less.

In the medical profession, and lingo of nutritionists / dietiticans.  Diet is about what you eat.
Obviously we would talk about a healthy diet. And that means quite alot of calories. Not starving yourself.

In womens magazines, the ones that favour very thin women, you may have the impression that a diet is eating only a very small amount of food. And thus it being dangerous e.t.c.

Sure, somebody that is emotionally damaged into thinking she has to starve herself , should not be designing a diet plan... But I doubt she would. She would just avoid food, starve herself, cough up food, develop an eating disorder, have people around her noticing something is wrong, e.t.c.   The direct problem there is not the diet plan!!!

Some people plan diet to gain weight.. Or, as in this case, to support an exercise plan, which means the diet should involve more food than they are eating. Especially here since he stupidly thinks he should avoid exercise so he can eat less!!!!!

A forum about healthy eating, is a forum about diet. And changing your diet. By definition.  (perhaps not detailing a whole diet from scratch, but that is not a problem. We all have a diet)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 08:19:50 AM by q_q_ »