Author Topic: For those who say that R' Kahane didn't mock Jewish Rabbis and leaders ...  (Read 1646 times)

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer

One of his best speeches. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
I'm not sure what your subject is implying, but... He never 'mocked' talmidei chachamim, he didn't mock Orthodox rabbis, and if he did criticize a teaching, he didn't name names.  This has been my impression from all that I've seen of Rav Kahane.  He mostly just mocked the reform so-called rabbis for their disdain for anything Jewish (reforms encouraged intermarriage, bagels and lox identity, no shabbat, etc).  Most of the things you see him criticize in this video about the "rabbis" are things an Orthodox rabbi would NEVER teach. Also in this video the guy he names names with is a person who personally attacked him in the days leading up to his event. 

Offline Dominater96

• Senior JTFer

One of his best speeches. 
How did u prove that from this video?

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
He blames most of the deaths of the Shoah on all the American Rabbis and all American Jewish leaders for their inaction in that speech.  He also blames the same Rabbis for not caring about their brothers in Soviet Russia.  He also names Rabbis and a Jew in that speech and makes fun of them.  He calls them pygmies in another speech.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 09:56:01 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
He blames most of the deaths of the Shoah on all the American Rabbis and all American Jewish leaders for their inaction in that speech.  He also blames the same Rabbis for not caring about their brothers in Soviet Russia.  He also names Rabbis and a Jew in that speech and makes fun of them.  He calls them pygmies in another speech.

Right, the pygmies refers to reform 'rabbis' cause they know nothing about what Judaism is.  The one he ranks on is some guy that bashed him in an announcement saying "Rabbi Kahane does not represent Judaism" lol the common refrain of liberals.  He is certainly brutal with the reform rabbis but one must have respect for the greatest orthodox rabbis, the talmidei chachamim, and he doesn't name names, and I am sure he is not disrespecting them.  Of course any rabbi that would sit silent on the issues of oppressed Jews worldwide should be held accountable.  That being said, many of the orthodox rabbis WERE involved to the best of their ability in trying to save Jews in the holocaust even though many were foreign immigrants in America and had very little familiarity with cultural norms here or any connections or personal wealth.  Orthodoxy was a very small sector of the American Jewish population then.  These rabbis managed to make many great efforts though and some efforts were even opposed or thwarted by the Jewish Agency unfortunately.  There are several good books about it.  One is called "Thy Brothers Blood: The Orthodox Jewish Response During the Holocaust," which I've read some of, and also "The Unheeded Cry" by Abraham Fuchs which is about Rabbi Weissmandl, who I don't think was American.  Unfortunately in the work of secular historians, most of the heroic deeds of orthodox rabbis went unmentioned or ignored.  I highly doubt that Rabbi Kahane is referring to Orthodox rabbis here, but anyone who would fit such a category of inaction of course could be included.  He is not naming names except those reform rabbis that publicly lambasted him.  And usually he doesn't name any but speaks in general terms, at least from what I've seen.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
Well, there was a good amount of Orthodox Jews in America during the Holocost era, and even more afterwards when they should have done something for Soviet Jewry.  Kahane isn't just talking about Reform Jews, he's talking about Orthodox Jews and Orthodox Rabbis when he blames them for not saving Soviet Jewry and blames them for not saving Jews during the Holocost.  Perhaps you are right and the remarks to specific Rabbis are only reform Rabbis, but I don't know.  In fact, there is a story that the Rav went back to the Mir Yeshiva where he got Semicha from and the Rosh Yeshiva grabbed him and said "your endangering Jewish lives ... your endangering Jewish lives" and the Rav replied back to him in a strong voice "when I was here you didn't care enough to say even one Tehillim for our oppressed brothers in Russia". 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 08:52:55 PM by jdl4ever »