Author Topic: 'Sect book' linked to missing family  (Read 683 times)

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
'Sect book' linked to missing family
« on: April 03, 2008, 07:43:16 AM »

'Sect book' linked to missing family

By Nicolas Perpitch

April 03, 2008 07:51pm
Article from: AAP

A BOOK predicting the end of the world will be pulled from publication after it was linked to the disappearance of four people in Western Australia.

But publisher Brett Mitchell, the owner of Esoteric Publishing which he says published Servers of the Divine Plan, denied the book is the basis of a doomsday sect and expressed shock at the disappearances.

Chantelle McDougall, 27, from Victoria, her English partner Simon Kadwill, 45, their six-year-old daughter Leela and housemate Antonio Popic, 40, have been missing since July.

Mr Popic's brother, Joe, today said he believed they may be linked to a sect based on the writings of the book, which prophesises the birth of a new world following the end of a 75,000-year cycle.

The book promotes itself as a guide calling on "servers" to prepare themselves as the globe heads for an imminent "Great Transition".

In a statement on his website today, Mr Mitchell said the book would be immediately pulled from publication.

"I am shocked to hear the news of the disappearance of Chantelle McDougall and her family," Mr Mitchell said.

"I extend my deepest sympathy to the McDougall family and I really do hope that everyone is found soon.

"I am also dismayed to see the book Servers of the Divine Plan linked to a `doomsday cult'.

"This publishing house was founded to help people find their own way to truth, not to support cults and other fanaticism. I am removing the book from publication immediately."

Mr Mitchell was being sought for further comment.

Ms McDougall and her family were living in WA's south-western town of Nannup before telling Ms McDougall's family in Victoria they were going on a holiday to Brazil.

They have not been seen since.

Police yesterday appealed for public help in solving the mystery of their disappearance.

The three adults' bank accounts have not been touched since they vanished and immigration checks showed they had not left the country.

Joe Popic said Mr Kadwill introduced his brother and the others to the book.

"They are the type of people that it wouldn't be out of the question if they're living on a commune somewhere and don't want to be found," Mr Popic told The West Australian newspaper.

"But it's very concerning and we just want to know if they're safe and well."

Police said they had received 30 telephone calls on the disappearances since yesterday's appeal and were currently wading through the information for credible leads.

They said they were not ruling out any line of inquiry.