Author Topic: Judaism and Hell  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Kacen

• Junior JTFer
Judaism and Hell
« on: May 29, 2008, 12:03:38 PM »
I'm curious, I've read and heard from so many different conflicting sources about hell in Judaism.

I've heard Jews do not believe in hell from an Conservative/Orthdox Jewish friend of mine and a Reform Jewish friend, but my secular (atheist) Israeli friend says the very religious Jews do believe in hell.

I heard from other sources that Jews believe earth is hell and we have to get through it like a trial to get to "heaven".

And I've heard in general that the Torah is very vague in general on the afterlife compared to the other Abrahamic faiths.

So can anyone here clear that up for me?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Re: Judaism and Hell
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 12:04:29 PM »
That would be a good question for Chaim for the next Ask JTF show.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 12:34:33 PM »
Hell is where souls are being punished and there is allot of discussion about it in the Jewish mystics.

In Judaism there is no eternal damnation in hell because the ultimate payment for sins is to have the soul destroyed completely. So after a period in hell the soul is either released to heaven or destroyed.

Furthermore at the End of days, all righteous souls will have eternal life in the kingdom of God (They will be resurrected). The evil souls would probably be destroyed and perhaps the less evil ones will be delayed in hell until they are allowed to resurrect.

That is as far as I know is the Jewish view though I can't say I believe in it. Anyway hell is not as bid a concern in Judaism as in other religions. Judaism is more concern in life in this world. A Jew is supposed to do as many commandments (mitzvahs) as he can simply because God has asked him to do so and not for a reward or fear of punishment.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 12:48:47 PM »

Anyway hell is not as bid a concern in Judaism as in other religions. Judaism is more concern in life in this world. A Jew is supposed to do as many commandments (mitzvahs) as he can simply because G-d has asked him to do so and not for a reward or fear of punishment.

I dont think it is that true. It depends who one asks, but their are books in Judaism that talk about hell, and one would definitly be full of fear and terror if they have read a lot of it. (of how even sometimes the tinniest action would be judged).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 01:14:16 PM »

Anyway hell is not as bid a concern in Judaism as in other religions. Judaism is more concern in life in this world. A Jew is supposed to do as many commandments (mitzvahs) as he can simply because G-d has asked him to do so and not for a reward or fear of punishment.

I dont think it is that true. It depends who one asks, but their are books in Judaism that talk about hell, and one would definitly be full of fear and terror if they have read a lot of it. (of how even sometimes the tinniest action would be judged).

There are Jewish scholars who studied these aspects but this is mainly philosophical and mystical study. Judaism is much more practical- The Torah, the Talmud, they deal mainly with life in this world.

As for the other part of my claim- I don't think it is the common Jewish approach to tell people "do this mitzvah or you go to hell" After all the Torah almost never provide a reason behind the commandment. 

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 01:52:31 PM »

There are Jewish scholars who studied these aspects but this is mainly philosophical and mystical study. Judaism is much more practical- The Torah, the Talmud, they deal mainly with life in this world.

As for the other part of my claim- I don't think it is the common Jewish approach to tell people "do this mitzvah or you go to hell" After all the Torah almost never provide a reason behind the commandment. 

Maybe not that, but it is common and right to say that if you do this or that Avera (sin) you will suffer in hell for it (meaning you would need the purification process).
  It also depends on the lecturer, and the style. Definitly more of the American style is to be overly nice and not focus on the punishments soo much. But the style of Eretz Yisrael (even if it is done outside it) Is different, and usually it has much greater spiritual and psychological impact on its listiners. It shows the seriousness of Mitzvot and Averot. And shows the greater impact of things. (for example Rabbis like Rabbi Mizrachi, get people religious after 1 lecture- peoples minds and attitudes open up, as opposed to some others- who have people coming in for years and still women wear pants, or people dont keep Shabb-t, and other things).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:57:29 PM by Tzvi Ben Roshel »
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Kacen

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 05:28:57 PM »
I did hear that many Jews believe that an evil soul would be annihilated in the after life "quickly and painlessly" rather than burned for all eternity, because they believe a just and loving G-D would never let anyone suffer for eternity.

I also heard that Hell in the Christian standpoint came from misinterpreting Gehenna in the Torah...when in actuality it was a burning garbage dump where pagans made sacrifices.

Can non-Jews get to heaven

Offline shimon

• Full JTFer
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 05:42:58 PM »
I did hear that many Jews believe that an evil soul would be annihilated in the after life "quickly and painlessly" rather than burned for all eternity, because they believe a just and loving G-D would never let anyone suffer for eternity.

I also heard that Hell in the Christian standpoint came from misinterpreting Gehenna in the Torah...when in actuality it was a burning garbage dump where pagans made sacrifices.

i dont know about the first part of the question. But regarding the seconed part yes according to Judaism any good and moral person can go to heaven you dont have to be a jew.

To me this seperates  Judiasm from other religions say like Catholicism which says there is only salvation through the Church

And if your a non jew its alot easier to go to heaven since you only have to keep 7 commandments rather than 613

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 05:49:37 PM »

You're correct about, it comes Gehenna comes from "Gey Bnei Hinom" - The Vally of the sons of Hinom.  At some point in time babies were sacrificed or to be exact 'were passed through the fire' to worship the Amonite god Molech.

The righteous of the non-Jews do go to heaven or as Jews usually call it 'the World to come'. There is some debate as to who is a righteous gentile. They are supposed to follow the 7-laws of Noah while the various world religions may not be compatible with them because they are man-made and in some cases polytheistic or atheistic. So basically the debate is whether a gentile can still earn the world to come even if he isn't a Noahide. The general opinion that I know of is yes and the argument in favor is that he can be of righteous nature and deeds and he is unaware to the sin he may commit by for example idol-worship because he was brought up that way.

BTW Judaism have a similar debate regarding secular Jews.