Author Topic: My father's been diagnosed with prostate cancer  (Read 6060 times)

Offline Jasmina

• Master JTFer
Re: My father's been diagnosed with prostate cancer
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2008, 04:27:57 AM »
  Your father is in my prayers!
The whole system works because everyone is not mentally ill on the same day!!!!

Offline ASHISH

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2008, 04:59:55 AM »
vito i hope your father recovers quickly

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
  • Liberty and Justice for All
    • Take Back the West
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2008, 10:41:50 AM »
OK.
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline Gruzinit

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2008, 11:55:04 AM »
As someone who lknows what your'e going through, I send my deepest regards and prayers for your father's speedy recovery.  :'(
The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money. – Alexis de Tocqueville

Communism is like prohibition, it's a good idea but it won't work. - Will Rogers

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 12:03:08 PM »
I hope your father has a full and speedy recovery! I'll most sincerely keep him in my prayers!

Offline Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2008, 12:13:58 PM »
Vito, I am sorry to hear this news. Your father will certainly be in our prayers.

But please keep in mind that many men develop prostate cancer after the age of 50, and that most survive and fully recover nowadays, thank G-d. It usually depends upon how quickly the cancer was discovered. If it is in the early stages, the survival and recovery rate is very high.

I also believe that a healthy diet is important for both recovery and to prevent a recurrence of cancer G-d forbid.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2008, 12:48:32 PM »
Chaim is right. A diet heavy in cooked tomatoes (because of the antioxidant lycopene) is chicken soup for the prostate. However, lycopene is more readily absorbed when consumed with a fat source, such as avocado.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2008, 02:40:24 PM »
I hear the herb Saw Palmetto is supposed to be good for the prostate.

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2008, 04:56:37 PM »
My father actually has a VERY healthy diet, mostly vegetables.. and he grows most of his own vegetables during the warmer months. He's not a meat eater at all (unlike myself).. once in a great while he'll have some grilled chicken or beef. He eats broccoli about once a week, salad almost everyday, soups, fruit and tea.

Chaim is right. A diet heavy in cooked tomatoes (because of the antioxidant lycopene) is chicken soup for the prostate. However, lycopene is more readily absorbed when consumed with a fat source, such as avocado.
C.F .. my father's Italian, I think he's had a cooked tomato once or twice.  ;D

Lisa - I will look into the Saw Palmetto!

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2008, 05:01:10 PM »
My father actually has a VERY healthy diet, mostly vegetables.. and he grows most of his own vegetables during the warmer months. He's not a meat eater at all (unlike myself).. once in a great while he'll have some grilled chicken or beef. He eats broccoli about once a week, salad almost everyday, soups, fruit and tea.

C.F .. my father's Italian, I think he's had a cooked tomato once or twice.  ;D

Lisa - I will look into the Saw Palmetto!

Evidence from epidemiological studies supports protective roles in reducing prostate cancer for dietary selenium, vitamin E, lycopene, and soy foods. High plasma levels of Vitamin D may also have a protective effect. Estrogens from fermented soybeans and other plant sources (called phytoestrogens) may also help prevent prostate cancer.The selective estrogen receptor modulator drug toremifene has shown promise in early trials. Two medications which block the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, finasteride and dutasteride, have also shown some promise. The use of these medications for primary prevention is still in the testing phase, and they are not widely used for this purpose. The initial problem with these medications is that they may preferentially block the development of lower-grade prostate tumors, leading to a relatively greater chance of higher grade cancers, and negating any overall survival improvement. More recent research found that finasteride did not increase the percentage of higher grade cancers. A 2008 study update found that finasteride reduces the incidence of prostate cancer by 30%. In the original study it turns that that the smaller prostate caused by finasteride means that a doctor is more likely to hit upon cancer nests and more likely to find aggressive-looking cells. Most of the men in the study who had cancer — aggressive or not — chose to be treated and many had their prostates removed. A pathologist then carefully examined every one of those 500 prostates and compared the kinds of cancers found at surgery to those initially diagnosed at biopsy. Finasteride did not increase the risk of High-Grade prostate cancer.
Green tea may be protective (due to its polyphenol content), although the the most comprehensive clinical study indicates that it has no protective effect. A 2006 study of green tea derivatives demonstrated promising prostate cancer prevention in patients at high risk for the disease. Recent research published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute suggests that taking multivitamins more than seven times a week can increase the risks of contracting the disease. This research was unable to highlight the exact vitamins responsible for this increase (almost double), although they suggest that vitamin A, vitamin E and beta-carotene may lie at its heart. It is advised that those taking multivitamins never exceed the stated daily dose on the label. Scientists recommend a healthy, well balanced diet rich in fiber, and to reduce intake of meat. A 2007 study published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute found that men eating cauliflower, broccoli, or one of the other cruciferous vegetables, more than once a week were 40% less likely to develop prostate cancer than men who rarely ate those vegetables. Scientists believe the reason for this phenomenon has to do with a phytochemical called Diindolylmethane in these vegetables that has Anti-Androgenic and immune modulating properties. This compound is currently under investigation by the National Cancer Institute as a natural therapeutic for prostate cancer.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2008, 06:39:58 PM »
Speaking about healthy living where has the healthy living section moved?

Into the General discussion area

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2008, 07:01:36 PM »
Vito - it's great that your Father has a good appetite and diet.
Just make sure that while he is undergoing treatment that he continues to eat well. 
Even when he might not feel like it.  Nutrition is a big part of healing.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Hail Columbia

• Master JTFer
  • Vrijheid, Welvaart, Beschaving
    • AfricanCrisis, Africa's Premier Hard News Website
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2008, 07:15:29 PM »
I am really sorry to hear that, I hope that he pulls through.

Learn the truth about rap "music": (Strongly recommended for new members)
www.geocities.com/wilder2k1
My MySpace site:
http://www.myspace.com/hailcolumbiajtf
My YouTube site:
http://www.youtube.com/user/HailColumbiaJTF
Dixie Outfitters, Preserving Southern Heritage Since 1861:
http://www.dixieoutfitters.com/
AfricanCrisis, Africa's Premier Hard News Website:
http://www.africancrisis.co.za
The Right Perspective, NYC's Most Dangerous Callers to Talk Radio, Airing Live Every Friday Night, 10 PM EST:
http://www.therightperspectivepodcastblog.blogspot.com/

In thy power Almighty, trusting,
Did our fathers build of old;
Strengthen then, O Lord, their children
To defend, to love, to hold
That the heritage they gave us
For our children yet may be:
Bondsmen only to the Highest
And before the whole world free.
As our fathers trusted humbly,
Teach us, Lord, to trust Thee still:
Guard our land and guide our people
In Thy way to do Thy will.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2008, 07:39:04 PM »
Vito, I am so sorry. I will be praying for you and your father. Actually, a lot of us will be praying for you and your entire family and that your father has a swift recovery.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim