Author Topic: Mishlei - Chapter 7  (Read 1572 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Mishlei - Chapter 7
« on: August 19, 2008, 02:30:16 AM »
The book of Mishlei {Proverbs} contains so much incredible wisdom. What is most incredible about reading this book of Tanach is the incredible poetry and imagery contained in its verses. My mind is inspired and my heart is moved by these words and thoughts. This particular chapter causes me much struggle as it seems to strike close to my soul.

Chapter 7
1. My son, keep my sayings, and hide my commandments with you.
2. Keep my commandments and live, and my instruction like the apple of your eyes.
3. Bind them on your fingers; inscribe them on the tablet of your heart.
4. Say to wisdom, "You are my sister," and you shall call understanding a kinsman;
5. to guard you from a strange woman, from an alien woman who talks smoothly.
6. For from the window of my house, through my lattice I gazed,
7. and I saw among the simple-I discerned among the youths-a lad devoid of sense,
8. crossing the street next to her corner, and he walks on the way to her house.
9. In the twilight, in the evening of the day, in the pitch darkness of the night.
10. And behold a woman [was coming] toward him, the nakedness of a harlot with her heart besieged.
11. She is bustling and rebellious; her feet do not dwell in her house.
12. Sometimes [she is] in the street, sometimes in the squares, and she lurks at every corner.
13. She takes hold of him and kisses him; brazenly she says to him,
14. "I had to bring peace-offerings; today I paid my vows.
15. Therefore, I have come out toward you to look for you, and I have found you.
16. I have bedecked my couch with covers, with superior braided work of Egypt.
17. I fanned my couch with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.
18. Come, let us take our fill of lovemaking until morning; let us enjoy ourselves with amorous embraces.
19. For the man is not at home; he has gone on a long journey.
20. He has taken the bag of money with him; on the appointed day he will come home."
21. She swayed him with all her talk; with the smooth talk of her lips she entices him.
22. He follows her immediately-as an ox goes to the slaughter, and as a viper to the chastisement of a fool
23. until an arrow splits his liver, as a bird hastens to a snare, and he does not know that it is at the cost of his life.
24. And now, children, hearken to me, and listen to the sayings of my mouth.
25. Let your heart not veer off into her ways; stray not in her paths.
26. For many are the dead that she has felled, and numerous are all her victims.
27. The ways of the grave are to her house, descending to the chambers of death.

The yetzer hara is such a cunning force. The depiction of this evil inclination as the wicked woman who leads young men astray is so vivid. We struggle to not stray after our hearts and our eyes. This is why men should wear tzit-tzits, to remind them not to run after aveirah.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14