Author Topic: yarmulke  (Read 4498 times)

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
yarmulke
« on: September 03, 2008, 05:09:10 PM »
Where do you Jews go to get your yarmulkes? I don't see any around.
You can get them online, but where have you been getting them all this time?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: yarmulke
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 05:16:54 PM »

Relatives from Israel (the best ones are their).

If you cant do that, go to main Street. Go to the Jewish bookstores. They have them.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 05:32:58 PM »

Shalom,

I have bought most of my nice Kippahs at a Jewish bookstore in Berkeley called Afikomen. They have a great selection of Kippahs. I have my black knit kippah for some occasions and a blue and black knit kippah for more festive times.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 09:07:54 PM »
just walk into a synogogue and take one... O0 :::D
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 09:16:14 PM »
i'm pretty sure you can try the internet if all else fails...

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
  • Preservation of Dal al-Harb
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 09:26:36 PM »
I have a stack of them. the best place is:

The Kippa Man at 37 Jaffa Road off of Beni Yuda. If you don't have time to go to Jerusalem just for a Kippa, he has a WEB site: www.kippaman.com

He is a great guy and he has literally thousands of different kinds. A lot of them he makes himself, so if there is certain color, material or pattern he can fix you up.
Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 09:42:12 PM »

Which synagogue exactly was that?  ??? I think I should have a conversation with security. :::D

Online Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 11:47:43 PM »

Right!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 12:29:11 AM »

Right!

As long as it's a reform shul... Go ahead, they dont think stealing is a sin, because they don't believe in mitzvah...

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 12:33:24 AM »

Dr. Dan, that was funny, nice to see a great sense of humor     O0

Shalom from Dox 

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 12:34:29 AM »

Right!

As long as it's a reform shul... Go ahead, they dont think stealing is a sin, because they don't believe in mitzvah...

muman613

reform shuls don't have kipas...lol
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 09:50:56 AM »
I almost believed DrDan! For a moment there I thought they give them out for free.

On Amazon for example, they sell them for about five dollars, then charge $8 for shipping!
And some of these stores are in Brooklyn! Sheesh!

I'll try the bookstore. I'm sure I'll get some stares! ...hmmm he doesn't look Jewish...

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 12:13:59 PM »
In Israel there are plenty of Kippah stands in malls, central bus/rail stations etc. And also on the markets and the streets. There you can find variety and also buy them on the cheap.

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 12:15:57 PM »
In Israel there are plenty of Kippah stands in malls, central bus/rail stations etc. And also on the markets and the streets. There you can find variety and also buy them on the cheap.

I posted a great spot of vendor in Israel. He is a really good guy.
Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 12:46:47 PM »
I have a stack of them. the best place is:

The Kippa Man at 37 Jaffa Road off of Beni Yuda. If you don't have time to go to Jerusalem just for a Kippa, he has a WEB site: www.kippaman.com

He is a great guy and he has literally thousands of different kinds. A lot of them he makes himself, so if there is certain color, material or pattern he can fix you up.

I am so getting this smurf one

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 01:38:39 PM »
Oh my smurfness!
I wonder how much it would be to ship it from Israel to the US?
Great website. I think I'll have him nit one with a picture of me.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 01:40:48 PM »
Doesn't look like if the website is complete. I get some blank pages under contact and about.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 01:52:26 PM »
Oh my smurfness!
I wonder how much it would be to ship it from Israel to the US?
Great website. I think I'll have him nit one with a picture of me.

How about a nit piucture of your Abo avatar ?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 01:56:17 PM »
I almost believed DrDan! For a moment there I thought they give them out for free.

On Amazon for example, they sell them for about five dollars, then charge $8 for shipping!

I'll try the bookstore. I'm sure I'll get some stares! ...hmmm he doesn't look Jewish...

No you can walk into a conservative shul and there are piles of kipas sitting around..no need to order any if you only need one.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 01:57:39 PM »

No you can walk into a conservative shul and there are piles of kipas sitting around..no need to order any if you only need one.

They also hand them in Jewish weddings.

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 07:50:36 PM »

It seems you are not a Jew... if you're not Jewish you should not get a Kippah. A non-Jew may wear a Kippah in case he is invited to synagogue for the wedding of a Jewish friend, or something like that.... but it's wrong for him to wear it otherwise. Unlike Holy items (Mezuah, Tefilim, Talit, etc.) Kippot have no holy meaning and theoretically it's not a prophanity that someone else wears them. But it's forbidden to everyone to do anything that could lead others to take him for a Jew by mistake.  The reason is that you are not under Jewish Law, and so you don't have to keep the precepts. If someone sees you in a Kippah and you are doing something forbidden to Jews (eating in a non-kosher restaurant, driving on Shabbat, .....), he may think that you are a Jew who violates the Law, and that would be a prophanity.

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 08:01:17 PM »
I keep mine in a display case and the only time I have worn one of them is when I go to Israel and visit the Wall.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 08:10:15 PM »
Shalom,

I wear kippah and tzittzits every day. When I wake up I say my blessings and daven for 20 minutes before leaving for work. I wear my kippah to work, under my baseball cap, and if I have to I tuck my tzittzits in my pants. I have no problem with my outward Jewish appearance. I also wear long peyos so there is no doubt as to who I associate with.

muman613

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 08:12:42 PM »
Shalom,

I wear kippah and tzittzits every day. When I wake up I say my blessings and daven for 20 minutes before leaving for work. I wear my kippah to work, under my baseball cap, and if I have to I tuck my tzittzits in my pants. I have no problem with my outward Jewish appearance. I also wear long peyos so there is no doubt as to who I associate with.

muman613

Question for you I had a guy I worked with who wore one when ever he would go to pick something up and it fell from is head he would pick it up and kiss it and put it back on what is the point of kissing it? Do you do that?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 08:15:31 PM »
Shalom,

muman613

Question for you I had a guy I worked with who wore one when ever he would go to pick something up and it fell from is head he would pick it up and kiss it and put it back on what is the point of kissing it? Do you do that?
Yes,

It is a custom to kiss a item which is dear and close and part of our ritual. Similarly if a Sefer {Book} falls to the ground, when we pick it up we kiss it. Another kissing ritual involves when entering or leaving a house, a more devout person will kiss his hand and touch the mezzuzah on the door post.

muman613

PS: It is also custom to kiss our tzittzits when we recite Shema {During the portion which discusses the mitzvah of Tzittzits}. Also when they take a Torah sefer out from the ark and carry it around the room we kiss the sefer Torah, or a Siddur and touch the Sefer Torah, or our tzittzits which we touch the Torah.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 08:17:02 PM by muman613 »