Author Topic: Large Hadron Collider to recreate big bang, is this dangerous?  (Read 5993 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Large Hadron Collider to recreate big bang, is this dangerous?
« on: September 08, 2008, 12:30:18 PM »
so I was reading about the Large Hadron Collider and apparently there are some fears from people that this thing could create a black hole and destroy the earth, any opinions on this?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/09/08/lhc.collider/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

I've heard a little bit of news about it before, but 10 billion dollars spent on this thing is pretty rediculous if you ask me. More people have been on the moon than in the deep sea, we probably know more about space than our own planet.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Large Hadron Collider to recreate big bang, is this dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 03:38:58 PM »
Hi,

I just read something very scary from the Rueters site on this. I dont know what kind of scientist said this but it is idiotic:

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSL846768920080908
"If some of what we expect to find does not turn up, and things we did not foresee do, that will be even more stimulating because it means that we understand less than we thought about nature," said British physicist Brian Cox.

This man is an idiot... You do not do an experiment if it could cause unintended damage. I am beginning to think there should be protest against this experiment. It seems these scientists just want to play with their big toys.

muman613

PS: Why are they doing this on September 10th? Is there a connection to September 11th?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 03:40:42 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 03:50:42 PM »
Hi,

I just read something very scary from the Rueters site on this. I dont know what kind of scientist said this but it is idiotic:

"If some of what we expect to find does not turn up, and things we did not foresee do, that will be even more stimulating because it means that we understand less than we thought about nature," said British physicist Brian Cox.

This man is an idiot... You do not do an experiment if it could cause unintended damage. I am beginning to think there should be protest against this experiment. It seems these scientists just want to play with their big toys.

muman613

PS: Why are they doing this on September 10th? Is there a connection to September 11th?

I don't know if the date holds anything significant but if that quote is true, rather dsturbing.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:51:08 AM »
If this machine creates a sustainable and ever increasing black hole, then it may create doubts in some surviving minds that the millions of other sustaining black holes within universe have been created by such machines.  ;)
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 02:13:56 PM »
Yes, I am quite concerned about it.....

:o

Like we already don't have enough to worry about??????

:-\
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 02:15:53 PM »
I wish they'd build a bigger one. These colliders are very cool.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 02:37:39 PM »
Well if we die tomorrow, you heard it here on JTF first. I'm going to the store to get some beer and nachos  O0

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 02:46:24 PM »
Nothing may happen... I mean nothing may happen after that!  ;)
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 02:49:41 PM »
Nothing may happen... I mean nothing may happen after that!  ;)

I laughed when someone said it could open a portal to an alien world, that reminds me of the video game halflife. Guess i'll be killing headcrabs with a crowbar.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 02:51:28 PM »
:::D :::D :::D

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 02:55:32 PM »
BIG BANG >> Annihilation of one in to many.

BLACK HOLE >> Annihilation of many in to one.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 03:27:48 PM »
:::D :::D :::D

LMAO wow what a coincidence when I mentioned half-life

damn image resizer, now it's too small and hard to see :(

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 03:30:02 PM »
Hi,

muman613

With all due respect, this post is highly insulting to those who made it their life's work to find out how the world which God created so perfectly works. Many of these scientists are religious because they can see that the world is just so perfect, it's just that the evil God hating scientists are louder because they are presenting the illogical point of view. Finding just how perfect God's creation is should be something that's encouraged. And September 10th is just a random day, how could it be connected to September 11th? Is doing anything that may (not will) cause somebody some danger illegal in September? Last I checked it wasn't one big conspircay.

In conclusion, what's wrong with the quest for knowledge?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 04:31:51 PM »

muman613

With all due respect, this post is highly insulting to those who made it their life's work to find out how the world which G-d created so perfectly works. Many of these scientists are religious because they can see that the world is just so perfect, it's just that the evil G-d hating scientists are louder because they are presenting the illogical point of view. Finding just how perfect G-d's creation is should be something that's encouraged. And September 10th is just a random day, how could it be connected to September 11th? Is doing anything that may (not will) cause somebody some danger illegal in September? Last I checked it wasn't one big conspircay.

In conclusion, what's wrong with the quest for knowledge?

Nic,

There is nothing wrong with a quest for knowledge as long as the repercussions are taken into consideration. It sounds like those who are running the experiment have absolutely no idea what the outcome will be . This is very, very irresponsible and patently wrong. Playing with these kinds of things could lead to irreversible consequences. Even the 'knowledgeable' scientists dont really know what they are doing. They are playing craps with the lives of the entire world. Do they really have the right to do this? I dont think they do.

I had no problem with the experiment and I believed that it will probrobly not yield any useful information. But when I read that they dont even know what to expect, and they hope for results which they didnt forsee, then I think they are idiots of the biggest magnatude.

I am a computer scientist and I know that if I do something wrong my entire system can be brought down. So I am very careful before I do something. It seems the scientists are just blindly smashing particles in the hopes that something will happen. This is dangerous!

muman613

PS: And 9/11 is always important to me because it is the yartzeit {anniversary of death} for my brother who died in the World Trade center. It has come to represent a day of death to me and if something, G-d forbid, happens because these 'scientists' game goes bad then I will be very angry.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline 2honest

• Senior JTFer
  • MayIsraelPrevail
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 04:40:49 PM »
From what I know about black holes these objects can become dangerous if they get out of control. Since nobody hasn't created or handled a black hole yet I feel they shouldn't play around with it.

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 06:41:08 PM »
From what I know about black holes these objects can become dangerous if they get out of control. Since nobody hasn't created or handled a black hole yet I feel they shouldn't play around with it.

Yet. Key word. Someone needs to at some point if we are to ever understand them

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 06:42:21 PM »
And more common sense:

People who play with fire will get burned...

muman613

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 06:43:41 PM »
Nic,

There is nothing wrong with a quest for knowledge as long as the repercussions are taken into consideration. It sounds like those who are running the experiment have absolutely no idea what the outcome will be . This is very, very irresponsible and patently wrong. Playing with these kinds of things could lead to irreversible consequences. Even the 'knowledgeable' scientists dont really know what they are doing. They are playing craps with the lives of the entire world. Do they really have the right to do this? I dont think they do.

I had no problem with the experiment and I believed that it will probrobly not yield any useful information. But when I read that they dont even know what to expect, and they hope for results which they didnt forsee, then I think they are idiots of the biggest magnatude.

I am a computer scientist and I know that if I do something wrong my entire system can be brought down. So I am very careful before I do something. It seems the scientists are just blindly smashing particles in the hopes that something will happen. This is dangerous!

muman613

PS: And 9/11 is always important to me because it is the yartzeit {anniversary of death} for my brother who died in the World Trade center. It has come to represent a day of death to me and if something, G-d forbid, happens because these 'scientists' game goes bad then I will be very angry.

Why would you be more angry on September the 10th than any other day that isn't 11th September?

As I say, they don't know what to expect. Nor did those making nuclear reactors for the first time. Look where we are with those now, a non-oil energy source. Very dangerous stuff potentially, but it had to be done to progress science.

Anyway, the liklihood is nothing will go significantly wrong.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 06:47:11 PM »
Why would you be more angry on September the 10th than any other day that isn't 11th September?

As I say, they don't know what to expect. Nor did those making nuclear reactors for the first time. Look where we are with those now, a non-oil energy source. Very dangerous stuff potentially, but it had to be done to progress science.

Anyway, the liklihood is nothing will go significantly wrong.

Nic,

If they are going to destroy the world I would like it to be on a different day than the day which I remember my brother. I dont think it is too hard to understand this. The day is a dark day in my life and it just seems odd that of all the days of the year it would fall out that they would do this on the day before 9/11. There may be no correlation, but to me it seems ominous.

muman613

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 07:29:06 PM »
Nic,

If they are going to destroy the world I would like it to be on a different day than the day which I remember my brother. I dont think it is too hard to understand this. The day is a dark day in my life and it just seems odd that of all the days of the year it would fall out that they would do this on the day before 9/11. There may be no correlation, but to me it seems ominous.

muman613

Can you not understand that there are only 365 days in a year to pick? There will be something evil attached to every day of the year, and certainly something very evil within 1 day of any day they could have picked. No offence but whilst 9/11 was the most awful tragedy in the US, it was mourned, lost, but not so relevant (on a personal level, on a level where you consider the threat it's the same to everyone in the world) to those in Europe where the LHC is. I doubt they really gave much thought to the day and it's better like that, there'll be someone mourning a terrorist/war atrocity every day of the year.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 08:10:24 PM »
Can you not understand that there are only 365 days in a year to pick? There will be something evil attached to every day of the year, and certainly something very evil within 1 day of any day they could have picked. No offence but whilst 9/11 was the most awful tragedy in the US, it was mourned, lost, but not so relevant (on a personal level, on a level where you consider the threat it's the same to everyone in the world) to those in Europe where the LHC is. I doubt they really gave much thought to the day and it's better like that, there'll be someone mourning a terrorist/war atrocity every day of the year.

Nic,

I dont care what other day they choose. To me PERSONALLY this is a bad day. And if they mess up the world it will be even worse.

muman613

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 08:35:33 PM »
Nic,

I dont care what other day they choose. To me PERSONALLY this is a bad day. And if they mess up the world it will be even worse.

muman613

Muman..i realize this day was a horrible day on a personal level.  I don't blame you for being upset.  However, Nic is correct.  There have been many days of infamy that have led to tragedy. I hope that you find comfort in your life with the loss you experienced.  I don't know what it's like to wear your shoes.  However, we read in Yom Kippur in the Yizkor service the way one can essentially help those who have passed to live on is to pursue the causes he/she purused.  I hope your brother (?) pursued righteous causes.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 09:01:56 PM »
Muman..i realize this day was a horrible day on a personal level.  I don't blame you for being upset.  However, Nic is correct.  There have been many days of infamy that have led to tragedy. I hope that you find comfort in your life with the loss you experienced.  I don't know what it's like to wear your shoes.  However, we read in Yom Kippur in the Yizkor service the way one can essentially help those who have passed to live on is to pursue the causes he/she purused.  I hope your brother (?) pursued righteous causes.

Dr Dan,

Yes my brother was a great man and the loss is great. I will again provide a link to a memorial for my brother...

http://www.cantorfamilies.com/cantor/jsp/tribute.jsp?ID=4493

muman613

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 10:20:38 PM »
 :( :'(
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 01:40:38 AM »
Sorry about the bad news Muman.

BTW... can we all agree that we have NO IDEA whether or not this collider will be dangerous.  Unless there are any physicists here spcializing in this sorta thing on this forum. 

I sure as hell hope that the scientist who claims this could start a black whole is a complete crack-pot.